2012 JKU Rubicon Build/Adventure Thread

wADVr

Adventurer
While I am not too surprised, bummer the hinges are not holding the weight as one would liked. That is a lot of weight on them though, do you mind investigating whether the hinge itself has play or if the bolts are not holding tight on the tub or if the assembly is simply bending? You might find that adding some 'preload' for lack of better term might solve your issue.meaning if you measure your deflection (drop in the door) and loosen and add that amount to the hing mounting you might allow it to sign up perfectly. Just remember that if you do this fully loaded the door might not line up when empty. I would suggest a balance of the two.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I'm going to check with my contacts at teraflex regarding if anyone has run a similar setup, and report back here!

Septu

Explorer
I am guessing the TF would be the best option. I have the morrydes now as I just wanted to get rid of the slop in the stock garbage. They are great for my application. However, I am planning on doing the exact same thing you are doing, I will be going with the TF hinge in the near future. Thanks for the update.

Honestly? I'm not sure how much different TF would be with this. It might be slightly better, but in the end, this is still ~230 lbs of weigh there, and the TF setup isn't all that different then that of the MorRyde setup.

I'm going to check with my contacts at teraflex regarding if anyone has run a similar setup, and report back here!

Yes, please let us know what you hear.

I hope you find a solution, it sounds like something will break if you keep driving it like it is.

Long term, no it's not a solution. But as the tank will usually be empty and when it is full, the gate will usually be latched, I have time to figure this out. Until then I think I'll be okay. Worse case I pull the tank, and just put it back on for road trips. It would only take 30 mins or so to pull the spare, put it on and attach the ground wire.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
But as the tank will usually be empty and when it is full, the gate will usually be latched.

Good point. The tank weighs basically nothing when empty, but it does space the spare out quite a ways.
Does your tailgate sage when open with the tank empty?

-Dan

Septu

Explorer
Good point. The tank weighs basically nothing when empty, but it does space the spare out quite a ways.

-Dan

Not sure. When it was empty, the spare was off. I'll empty it tomorrow and will see how it goes.

kojackJKU

Septu, I just heard back from my teraflex contact. They are using the titan tank on a couple of rigs now with 37s and beadlocks mounted as well as the tank and never had an issue with the gate opening or closing. Also, Joe is on the road now with one of these setups, (37s, beadlock and titan tank.) and I will hear how he likes it as soon as he returns.

Hope this helps.

Septu

Explorer
Septu, I just heard back from my teraflex contact. They are using the titan tank on a couple of rigs now with 37s and beadlocks mounted as well as the tank and never had an issue with the gate opening or closing. Also, Joe is on the road now with one of these setups, (37s, beadlock and titan tank.) and I will hear how he likes it as soon as he returns.

Hope this helps.

It does. Well that's cheaper at $750 CND then the AEV arm or a new bumper.

Septu

Explorer

Still an issue - although not nearly as much. If I just push it closed fast, it just kisses it. If I close it slowly, it doesn't touch. I'll loosen things up in the next day or so (when it's not raining) and see if there's any options to raise that a tad.

On a side note, I inadvertently left the jeep parked for almost 60 hours over the weekend (57-58?) with the fridge plugged in. Didn't even think about it, until I was on my way in to work at midnight... And just as I was starting it, I was like oh ****... I hope it starts (still using the stock battery - 51 mths old). And it fired right up. I had a XP-10 if it was an issue, but that's the longest I've ever left the jeep parked with the fridge on. Probably not the smartest thing to do, but the fridge was still going and the jeep still started... so I'm happy about that.

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
Also awesome to know. over night is no problem then!

I knew overnight was never an issue. But if it was really hot out, would usually hit the cmd start after 24 hours or so "just in case". And I don't think I'd ever gone more than 36 hours without starting it if the fridge was on. Not that it was ever really needed... I mean I have the low voltage set on the fridge and I have jumper cables and the XP-10 to boost it. But it's always nice when it starts when you want it to. Helps that it was raining most of that time too vs the +25c we had over the weekend while camping.

kojackJKU

I am using a coleman thermoelectric cooler right now...I cannot leave that on. I am afraid to leave it plugged in for a few hrs on battery....they are power hogs from what I understand.

Septu

Explorer
Well it looks like I may be getting a new engine under warranty. Kinda upset about my weekend plans... but this will be a very good thing if it happens.

So... Here's the deal lol.

2012, JKUR, auto, 4.10s, 35s

For the last 2+ years I've been bitching to my dealer about my engine overheating. I would rarely hit the red line, but the engine temps would fluctuate wildly whenever the engine was under load. When talking to others with the same spec's (33s, 4.10s, auto, 3.6L), none of them would have an issue anything close to mine. My dealer up here has been amazing, and everytime I **************, they'd look into it. Never once did they find anything. Eventually, they charged me $100 or so CND, and said it's "normal", and that anything under the red line is fine and not to complain about it again in the future. Okay, well that sucks, but whatever. I had at the time another 3+ years and around 80,000 km left (50k miles) of warranty.

They've gone above and beyond almost every time I've had an issue, replacing far more under warranty then required. About 5 mths ago they replaced a bunch of the phasers and the timing chain under warranty. While they were in there because I was around 80,000 KM, I had them do the PCV valve and the spark plugs (they did it labor free).

About 2 weeks ago I had an error code P066D (I think that was it). They said that error code didn't come up in their scanner and asked that I look into it and get back to them (if it came back - they cleared it). Needless to say it came back the next day or so. When I looked into it, it said it was an Oil Pump issue, and that those that replaced the oil pump didn't have another issue. I sent them the info I found online and we booked an apt for a few weeks out (yesterday) to replace the oil pump under warranty.

On Tuesday the dealer phoned me and said they were crazy busy and asked if they could bump my apt for another week. I explained that I had a camping trip up into the mountains planed for this weekend an not being able to go over 3500 RMP blew ***. They said they'd start it Wednesday and finish it on Thursday (today) and give me a loaner for the night - which I was more than fine with (I don't care if I drive a grocery getter for a day when I'm at work for most of it). Well today at 5pm I call them and said I was on my way down there... except I didn't hear the usual "Yeah it's ready" - instead I got "you should come down and talk to the tech". It's like oh ****... I'm suppose to be leaving on a camping trip in the next 2-3 hours.

Anyway I go down there and they take me into the back to talk to the tech that's working on my jeep (same tech that had a bunch of extra work done on it last time under warranty). Well the first thing he says is that when draining the oil, he saw what he thought was a lot of metal in my oil (and there wasn't nearly enough oil in the engine). So he pulled the oil pan and found a whole bunch of metal filings in the oil pan - and not little ones. And that when he looked into it a little me, he can't find out where they're coming from. What he did find was this:

- My engine only had ~2.5-3L of oil in it (last oil change done by that dealer was 3,000 km ago). I've never once burnt oil or needed to top off oil in between oil changes.
- My PCV valve (that they replaced at said oil change) was sucking oil into my engine
- A LOT of metal filings in the oil pan and the oil that came out looked a very shiny metallic. Yeah, I'm no mechanic, but it looked very wrong. And when he showed me the oil pan, there were a ton of filings in the bottom of it.

Anyway, he figured that if he jumped through the hoops that he could get me a new engine under warranty. He just needed a little time to jump through the hoops. So meanwhile a big part of me is jumping for joy. **** yes, a new engine after 90,000 km. I've sworn up and down that there was something wrong with that engine for the past 40/50,000 km. The other part of me is whining that I won't have my jeep for this weekend (one of the few remaining weekends left of our summer) to go camping. I'll find out in the morning if I can get something from them with a hitch so I can tow my little m101 (around 1300 lbs). Otherwise I'll just say **** it and unpack my m101 and toss my camping gear in the journey and sleep in that. Not nearly as good... but better than wasting one of the few weekends we have left.

Meanwhile I'm praying like hell that Dodge will call me tomorrow and say that I'm getting a new engine, and will just have to suck up using their loaner for a while.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Wow,

That's quite the turn of events.
It always did seem like something wasn't right with your overheating.... now finally maybe there will be a resolution.

Good luck! My fingers are crossed!

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior