2012 JKU Rubicon Build/Adventure Thread

SamM

Adventurer
Originally Posted by redthies
So what is happening with your overheating issue? Will Chrysler be impressed with the new snorkel, or say it is exacerbating your problem? I am a little nervous about warranty on ours, but all I have done is 285/75s and OME coils. It would take a knowledgeable tech to notice the mods. I have access to four more Rubicons at work to borrow factory size tires if I need to deal with a warranty issue.

Recently, I talking at length with my dealer about warranty voiding additions to my 2013 JK Sahara MOAB. They told me that I could add the AEV snorkel, no issue there. I could also go up 2 tire sizes without voiding the warranty. That would put me into the 255/80R17 KM2 tires from BFG. I'll probably go with the 255/75R17 Rubicon tires from BFG just to keep things simple. The dealer sells them for $259.99 mounted, balanced and installed, with road hazard and free rotations. I can also add a MOPAR lift without causing a warranty issue, as long as they install it. Just a little info, which may or may not help someone!

My Jeep JK has the LifeMax warranty.

Septu

Explorer
Recently, I talking at length with my dealer about warranty voiding additions to my 2013 JK Sahara MOAB. They told me that I could add the AEV snorkel, no issue there. I could also go up 2 tire sizes without voiding the warranty. That would put me into the 255/80R17 KM2 tires from BFG. I'll probably go with the 255/75R17 Rubicon tires from BFG just to keep things simple. The dealer sells them for $259.99 mounted, balanced and installed, with road hazard and free rotations. I can also add a MOPAR lift without causing a warranty issue, as long as they install it. Just a little info, which may or may not help someone!

My Jeep JK has the LifeMax warranty.

Just a FYI. That's a load of crap. In the US, you have the Magnuson-Moss Act. "Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty."

You can put whatever size tires and lift on that you want. Chrysler isn't going to void the warranty on an engine issue due to having a 3.5" MetalCloak suspension lift vs a 2" Mopar lift.

SamM

Adventurer
This is a bumper to bumper lifetime warranty. It's a little different. I have to adhere to certain criteria to keep my Jeep covered for my lifetime.

I was just pointing out that not even my warranty would be voided by the snorkel install.

EMrider

Explorer
This is a bumper to bumper lifetime warranty. It's a little different. I have to adhere to certain criteria to keep my Jeep covered for my lifetime.

I was just pointing out that not even my warranty would be voided by the snorkel install.

What dealers will tell you and what the law (and a LOT of case history) requires often differ.

Consumers have very good protection on aftermarket vehicle mods when it comes to warranty claims.

That said, fighting a warranty claim with an uncooperative dealer is a huge PITA. And enforcing your legal rights with that dealer will be a hassle. Some dealers try and take advantage of this fact.

So there is logic in checking first and getting your dealer's sign off.

My guess is that your lifetime warranty is unique only in the length of the coverage period.

R

Septu

Explorer
Well after a couple weeks of waiting for parts to arrive... I can finally post a picture of the Nexus 7 setup - which I quite happily stole from Mark Doiron. It moves more than I'd like... but as Mark said... it's really not an issue as you can still easily read everything - it's just annoying - how much so I guess I'll see over the coming weeks. Zoomed in on the navigator I'm using, I can still read street names with no issues. I'll likely change the nav app, as I don't like how it originates the screen (it'll show me going down, so that whats on the left of the screen is on the right on the road).

Total cost for this...just over $400 with the 4G 32GB tablet, mounts (Cooltech mount, Ram mounts), case and shipping. I'm happy with it.

Edit... stupid camera's... pictures make my jeep look MUCH dirtier than it really is. I swear!

1467286_10151765775197595_715426712_n.jpg

1484083_10151765774257595_1803194077_n.jpg

Septu

Explorer
Decided I didn't like the vibrations I was getting with my Nexus 7 while using the cooltech mount. Ordered the grab bar from Carolina Metal Masters.
Initially wasn't going to get an inscription... but decided I didn't like the all black look.
Installed!
10157287_10151962759842595_786183468_n.jpg

10153864_10151961639852595_640058769_n.jpg

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Adventurer
I was just looking at the ram mounts for the N7 and see that there are a few different options. It looks like you got this one, is that right? Thanks.

Septu

Explorer
I was just looking at the ram mounts for the N7 and see that there are a few different options. It looks like you got this one, is that right? Thanks.

Yes... although I didn't pay $70 for it. Pretty sure this is the one I used (well one of these - likely the 1st as it's meant for one with a case/cover). But it's the same style as what you linked to... just a lot cheaper. :)

http://www.gpscity.ca/ram-mount-google-nexus-7-tab-tite-tablet-cradle-ram-hol-tab16u.html
http://www.gpscity.ca/ram-mount-google-nexus-7-tab-tite-tablet-cradle-ram-hol-tab18u.html

Septu

Explorer
I strongly recommend the Vector Off Road JK-Edock.

I'll likely be looking at something like that at some point down the road. But for the nav, this works like a charm, and is very much out of the way - even when deployed. The other thing I like, it's far enough off to the pass side that even with the tablet mount mounted but empty, it's not in the way of anything.

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
Ask and you shall receive.

532279_10151969750202595_7532695214005101890_n.jpg

PS. Box contains my 'new to me' Rancho front dif slider. Now to paint the ugly *** red thing black.

Have ordered a y splitter for my OBD2 port. Going to keep the scanguageII as my main device (seen in top left), but want the option to be able to look at everything with the Nexus 7 with the torque app.

Septu

Explorer
Several new things. Purchased a Rancho front dif slider skid plate, an ARB compressor and a Vector E-Dock used off the forums. Should be here in a few weeks.

Also... 3.5" Metal Cloak lift was purchased and installed last week. Gained at least 4.5" inches. Makes my 33x13.5x17s look small. Not sure what I'll do about that, but for now I'm loving it! Getting a LOT of vibrations at 60 KPH+ (70KPH is the worst, but it's noticeable between 80/100) however I'm pretty sure it's the tires and not the lift. They had to powder balance them this time around. Fortunately I live in town, so while this will be getting addressed it's not a massive issue for now.

Height wise... the top of the Poison Spyder side step is just above the top of my knee... ~22 inches.

10313863_10152034790097595_2759727848086435464_n.jpg

10305952_10152034790077595_7001844869667919387_n.jpg

10308425_10152034790087595_6099306598747105601_n.jpg

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hey man,

I saw it in town on Sunday (parked on 2nd I think). Damn it looks good !

It stands out for sure with those flares and the huge lift.

When the 33s wear out are you thinking 35s or 37s?

-Dan

Septu

Explorer
I'd love to go 37s... however for what I do (both on/off road), I think 35s is the better choice. But who knows... I could always go with a 35 for the winter/long *** road trips, and 37s to wheel with in the summer. Next item is new brakes and get the fenders widened - washing **** tons of mud off my jeep or the fact that I can't keep the sides clean after it rains gets old pretty quick. Should have both of those done sometime in the next 3 weeks or so.

I also put down a deposit on my RTT for my trailer - a James Baroud Discovery Space Evolution. Unfortunately shipping and duties/GST are going to kill me (~1800), but like my lift, I feel that this is the best product on the market, and it'll be worth the premium price (I hope).

Untitled.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier