RTT On The Rocks?

stockwell45

Why am I not outside?
Been looking to get a rooftop tent for a while, hoping to get either a Tepui or Camping Lab medium tent, so nothing too huge. My main concern is I would like to camp in one when I am on a wheeling trip that requires some rock crawling, enough where I am going to need the rear locker. Now I know adding more weight to an already topheavy vehicle is not going to help things much, but has anyone actually wheeled hard with a tent on the roof that can give me their opinions? Thanks.

pennieslj

Observer
I ran Top of the World in Moab a couple weeks ago and did not feel any difference with the tent on my truck. As long as you are not adding a bunch of weight in addition to the tent on the roof and not getting into anything truly hardcore I would think you'll be fine.

wagsww3

Explorer
RTT

I've done hells revenge and hells gate as well as all of poison spider amongst other trails in Moab with no issues. If your careful and have a good idea of how your rig will act at different angles you should be fine. It does have a very noticeable difference with the weight up there. I have an ARB tent on an 08 jeep unlimited with coilovers. I've driven in some very technical rocky trails anywhere from NC, AR, TX, NM, CO and UT. It's all in how you set up your rig and your driving style. Here's a couple pics if it'll help.summer vacation '11 167.jpgsummer vacation '11 238.jpgsummer vacation '11 239.jpgIMG_0382.jpg

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
The 2nd and 3rd pics look like My Least Favorite Ledge from Golden Spike...

I wouldn't mind going straight up or down ledges and climbs with a RRT, but the tippy stuff is another story. Did you do 7-Mile Rim in that rig :Wow1: It would probably be fine, but that off-camber section would give me an uncomfortableness.

wagsww3

Explorer
Haven't done 7 mile rim yet. Next time I'm in Moab I'll probably be driving my Land Rover in hopes my Jeep will be sold by then. It does better than I thought it would do on the side slope stuff but it can make you pucker a little at times. The air bumps really help a lot as well.

The 2nd and 3rd pics look like My Least Favorite Ledge from Golden Spike...

I wouldn't mind going straight up or down ledges and climbs with a RRT, but the tippy stuff is another story. Did you do 7-Mile Rim in that rig :Wow1: It would probably be fine, but that off-camber section would give me an uncomfortableness.

stockwell45

Why am I not outside?
Definitely not planning on doing too much crazy tippy stuff with it, at least until I get the feel for it. I mainly just want to get to those hard to reach camping areas that the average guy is gonna stay away from...

After looking at your setup wagsww3, it looks like the key is to get that thing to sit as close to the roof as possibe. I'll probably end up making my one rack that sits as close as I can get it to the roof.

Thanks for the info and pics, very helpful.

wagsww3

Explorer
Yeah man keeping that thing as close to the roof as possible is key. It's not a ton of weight and it's spread out. It may handle better than you think. I'm very pleased about how mine turned out. I'm glad the pics were able to help. Good luck with the project!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Do they make any RTT's with hard shells? A canvas box won't last long in my area. Shredded in two-three seasons most likely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior