Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Official thread - Maya Rally Registration Registration Details and Latest Updates

Default Official thread - Maya Rally Registration Registration Details and Latest Updates

The one and only 2012 Maya "End of the World" Rally

We don't know if the world will keep turning after Dec 21st 2012 but we do know that you don't want to miss this event.

Everyone is super stoked to put this together and the team is pretty confident that it will live up to expectation.

Not all the details are finalized yet, but we can tell you a little more already.

So you may wonder, what can I expect? Well, all of this for starters:

-a trip of a lifetime, with fun fellow travelers.
    -a casual pre-rally party around San Miguel de Allende/Guanajuato Mexico.
    -a final arrival party at a Maya ruin, organized with the professional help of NoLimitX. This is a great opportunity to benefit from their expertise and knowledge, and get a small taste of their expedition offering, for a fraction of the regular price. They are in the process of booking a killer location, with camping, great food and unique entertainment.
    --an opportunity to hang out with many of the Expedition Portal/Overland Journal members and staff, and some of your favorite vendors
    -a chance to discover another side of Mexico and Guatemala (and perhaps even Belize), thanks to the fun scavenger hunt.
    -a chance to win some amazing prizes
    -a change to make a difference, by giving away a portion of the revenue to a local charity
    -a lot of media exposure. Be ready to give interviews...
    -and much more.

The End of the World only happens once, so don't miss this chance to be doing what you love the most - traveling!

And for those of us who survive, we will most likely convoy to Belize for some relaxation time on the beach after the party.

Please visit our website: www.mayarally.com

Please see this thread if you need inspiration: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...xpedition-quot

And watch this section for more updates!

Last edited by Christian P.; 10-15-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    Christian

CTO Expedition Portal
    www.expeditionportal.com
    www.overlandjournal.com

Hey Christian,
    Just as a poke in the ribs....I would change the words Expo/OJ under what your fees cover (and maybe elsewhere) to read Expediton Portal & Overland Journal as I am sure you will attract non-Expo people and we want them to know the inside joke.

I showed the site to my wife and she likes the idea of flying and meeting....not sure if Cancun would be good as sooooo many people will be traveling through there.
    cigar smoking, wilderness first responding, ham talking night nurse who is overland certified and a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society.....
    now everyone say "so what where have you been lately?"

Quote Originally Posted by 1leglance View Post
    Hey Christian,
    Just as a poke in the ribs....I would change the words Expo/OJ under what your fees cover (and maybe elsewhere) to read Expediton Portal & Overland Journal as I am sure you will attract non-Expo people and we want them to know the inside joke.

I showed the site to my wife and she likes the idea of flying and meeting....not sure if Cancun would be good as sooooo many people will be traveling through there.
    Fixed. I was just talking with someone here and he may also have his wife fly to Cancun to join him. I think this may become a popular alternative.
    Christian

CTO Expedition Portal
    www.expeditionportal.com
    www.overlandjournal.com

Cancun would be a bit off track (Not to mention one of the most horrible places in Mexico) , but flights are cheaper there and if some scavenge items are to be placed in the Yucatan...
    Luis and Lacey - Lost World Expedition Facebook
    Planning the next step in our round the world trip
    1987 FJ60 with a 12HT

Bongo!
    Minority Racer
    www.MinorityRacer.com
    The first and only minority team in the world racing & finishing rock & desert motorsports, drag racing, plus rally!

All,

I made this thread a sticky and will provide more updates over the next weeks. Watch this space for great news - things have moved a lot over the last few days.

After talking with many people and getting some feedback, I think people would be more comfortable with specific dates and locations for the rally.

Right now we are looking at an departure party/gathering in Guanajuato on 12-12-12 and an arrival around Bacalar on 21-12-12.

We have made a great contact in Bacalar for the final destination and the overall location is pretty strategic, as it is halfway between Cancun and Belize City, and not too far from Guatemala.

As usual, comments/ideas/suggestions are always welcome!
    Christian

CTO Expedition Portal
    www.expeditionportal.com
    www.overlandjournal.com

Excited about finishing in Bacalar and agree that it's well located. You forgot to mention that there is both freshwater and saltwater beaches nearby too.

Any chance we will be seeing a listing of teams or vehicles that have registered in the not so distant future?
    My YouTube channel
    1991 FJ80: Vortec 5.7L v8, FZJ80 locked axles, 4L60e trans, split case and plenty more!
    1988 FJ62: TD-S/C-I/C diesel, NV4500, Atlas T-case, portal axles, FZJ80 chassis and lot's more! A long term work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by RMP&O View Post
    Any chance we will be seeing a listing of teams or vehicles that have registered in the not so distant future?
    Ian

Yes we will put up the teams on the website with a short bio. Right now it is still pretty quiet but I suspect it's a bit early for many people to make plans.
    I have received a lot of emails with people interested but they have to confirm their vacation.
    I think as details start to get confirmed, and as we get closer, we will see more and more registrations flowing in.
    Christian

CTO Expedition Portal
    www.expeditionportal.com
    www.overlandjournal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christian P. View Post
    I think as details start to get confirmed, and as we get closer, we will see more and more registrations flowing in.
    Yep, I'm pretty committed. Just waiting for the event details to be a little clearer before I register. Hopefully that comes before the price bump.

Since I'm new to this type of rally what kind of details would I not want to be part of my profile? What info could other teams get that would be advantageous to them?

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast