Official thread - Maya Rally Registration Registration Details and Latest Updates

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
The one and only 2012 Maya "End of the World" Rally

We don't know if the world will keep turning after Dec 21st 2012 but we do know that you don't want to miss this event.

Everyone is super stoked to put this together and the team is pretty confident that it will live up to expectation.

Not all the details are finalized yet, but we can tell you a little more already.

So you may wonder, what can I expect? Well, all of this for starters:

-a trip of a lifetime, with fun fellow travelers.
-a casual pre-rally party around San Miguel de Allende/Guanajuato Mexico.
-a final arrival party at a Maya ruin, organized with the professional help of NoLimitX. This is a great opportunity to benefit from their expertise and knowledge, and get a small taste of their expedition offering, for a fraction of the regular price. They are in the process of booking a killer location, with camping, great food and unique entertainment.
--an opportunity to hang out with many of the Expedition Portal/Overland Journal members and staff, and some of your favorite vendors
-a chance to discover another side of Mexico and Guatemala (and perhaps even Belize), thanks to the fun scavenger hunt.
-a chance to win some amazing prizes
-a change to make a difference, by giving away a portion of the revenue to a local charity
-a lot of media exposure. Be ready to give interviews...
-and much more.

The End of the World only happens once, so don't miss this chance to be doing what you love the most - traveling!

And for those of us who survive, we will most likely convoy to Belize for some relaxation time on the beach after the party.

Please visit our website: www.mayarally.com

Please see this thread if you need inspiration: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...Equipt-s-quot-Central-America-Expedition-quot

And watch this section for more updates!

MR-Header-Done.jpg

[video=vimeo;37753277]http://vimeo.com/37753277[/video]

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Hey Christian,
Just as a poke in the ribs....I would change the words Expo/OJ under what your fees cover (and maybe elsewhere) to read Expediton Portal & Overland Journal as I am sure you will attract non-Expo people and we want them to know the inside joke.

I showed the site to my wife and she likes the idea of flying and meeting....not sure if Cancun would be good as sooooo many people will be traveling through there.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Hey Christian,
Just as a poke in the ribs....I would change the words Expo/OJ under what your fees cover (and maybe elsewhere) to read Expediton Portal & Overland Journal as I am sure you will attract non-Expo people and we want them to know the inside joke.

I showed the site to my wife and she likes the idea of flying and meeting....not sure if Cancun would be good as sooooo many people will be traveling through there.

Fixed. I was just talking with someone here and he may also have his wife fly to Cancun to join him. I think this may become a popular alternative.

Cancun would be a bit off track (Not to mention one of the most horrible places in Mexico) , but flights are cheaper there and if some scavenge items are to be placed in the Yucatan...

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
All,

I made this thread a sticky and will provide more updates over the next weeks. Watch this space for great news - things have moved a lot over the last few days.

After talking with many people and getting some feedback, I think people would be more comfortable with specific dates and locations for the rally.

Right now we are looking at an departure party/gathering in Guanajuato on 12-12-12 and an arrival around Bacalar on 21-12-12.

We have made a great contact in Bacalar for the final destination and the overall location is pretty strategic, as it is halfway between Cancun and Belize City, and not too far from Guatemala.

As usual, comments/ideas/suggestions are always welcome!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Any chance we will be seeing a listing of teams or vehicles that have registered in the not so distant future?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Any chance we will be seeing a listing of teams or vehicles that have registered in the not so distant future?

Ian

Yes we will put up the teams on the website with a short bio. Right now it is still pretty quiet but I suspect it's a bit early for many people to make plans.
I have received a lot of emails with people interested but they have to confirm their vacation.
I think as details start to get confirmed, and as we get closer, we will see more and more registrations flowing in.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Yep, I'm pretty committed. Just waiting for the event details to be a little clearer before I register. Hopefully that comes before the price bump.

Since I'm new to this type of rally what kind of details would I not want to be part of my profile? What info could other teams get that would be advantageous to them?

Great to hear - no problem about the price, we will also have a discount code available at Overland Expo (I just registered to get us a booth there!)

So just to be clear, we are now pretty confirmed on these:

Departure: Guanajuato
Arrival: Bacalar

Date: DEC12 to DEC21

Right now I am discussing with a couple folks to see if we could perhaps add some more formal rally section around Guanajuato (there would be a new class for that).

Cody1771

Explorer
Great to hear - no problem about the price, we will also have a discount code available at Overland Expo (I just registered to get us a booth there!)

So just to be clear, we are now pretty confirmed on these:

Departure: Guanajuato
Arrival: Bacalar

Date: DEC12 to DEC21

Right now I am discussing with a couple folks to see if we could perhaps add some more formal rally section around Guanajuato (there would be a new class for that).

i want to register, but being cheap like i am i am curious about this discount code, what about us members that are unable to make it to OX12 is there some way we can get the PM'd code from you? i cant get to the registration page while im at sea is there any way i could do it via email or PM?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
We will most likely do a trip to Guatemala after the Rally, going through Belize. Tikal is one of my favorite places and I really want to go back.

After discussions with NoLimitX, it appears that it was too complicated to get a site at that date in Guatemala.

We have much more "leeway" with this new contact in Bacalar, as it is not as touristy as the Guatemala sites - I feel like we will be able to have more fun with this option.
It also closer to Cancun, where some of the participant's wifes have expressed interest to fly in to get picked up there.

yes.
Bacalar is south of Cancun, about a 3hr drive I think.
It's right on the border with Belize.
http://g.co/maps/u7hyc

I'm thinking the Rally isn't going to cross into Guatemala at all anymore.

V00D0013

Is there any requirements for the scavenger part like a plugger/gps? Is there a list going around by the experienced expeditioners?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles