95 Chevy Tire Question

Bigred455

I'm looking advice on tires for my 95 Chevy K1500 thats going to be getting some new shoes soon. Right now I am running some 10yr old Goodyear Wrangler M/Ts and really like them but I can't seem to find this tire anymore, not surprised considering how old they are. The truck is stock and I might crank the front up just a tad to make it closer to level, I have a set of stock replacement shocks on order so it wont be getting raised to much. The Goodyears are 265/75R16 and while I dont dislike them I think I'd like something just a tickle taller and skinnier. Unfortunately it seems the next step taller is going to be about 33" and think thats gonna be to tall for my stock height truck. So that leaves me with either staying with the 265s or going to 235/85R16. In these sizes there aren't to many tires with a tread pattern between an AT and a MT. I think I'm going to use the Wrangler Silent Armors. My main wants are E range and quiet, and the truck is going to be used as a street truck, tow rig and light trail camping rig. I'm concerned that an AT tire isn't going to give me the confidence in the mud, but with that said I have no interest in mudding but just dont want to get stuck going to the campsite. What are the boards thoughts on this?

Also, how about some pictures of my truck with the 235s. It seems like the 88-98 chevs are scarce for Expo'ing.

Thanks, George

Rot Box

Explorer
I prefer tall and skinny so I favor the 235/85's. I ran the E-rated (10ply) Silent Armors on my last Dodge and while I thought they did good off-road and in snow they wore too quickly for me to buy another set. One tire that I really liked in the 235/85 size were the Michelin "traction" commercial tires. They had the 10 ply rating, did well off road/in snow and wore really nice--something to look into anyway.

If you're considering an M/T I can't say enough good things about the BFG KM2's in a 10ply rating. I'm very happy with mine and plan to buy another set when these wear out. The only compromise is they likely won't last as long as an A/T... Hope this helps and good luck!

Andrew

Bigred455

Thanks for the quick reply. How many miles did you get out of your Silent Armors?

I'm not dead set on a MT specifically. I do like the KM2s, they will most likely go on my Jeep soon, but for a daily driver Im concerned they just may be to aggressive not to mention Tirerack gets almost a grand for 4.

Bigred455

Not sure exactly what your question is, but if you have decided on a 235/85, then the above tire is what I would consider a good compromise between noise and mud performance.

That's what I'm asking. I rechecked Tire Rack and the KM2 and MTR are around $800 and the Duratracks are slightly cheaper, so thats a plus. Not to sound like a goof but I do like a smoother sidewall instead of something with lugs. I really like the Michelins XPS but dont like the $1250 price tag haha.

laker

On my 94 chev I am on my second set of toyo M55's in the 235/85. Best tire ever made imo. Never had a flat and are awesome in mud and snow. Nost of my miles are gravel and they seem to last forever. They are E rated. You will not go wrong with these babies.

Revco

Adventurer
A 235/85/16 is practically the same height as a 265/75/16, but a little over an inch narrower. A 255/85/16 is almost 1.5" taller than a 265/75/16, but is about 3/8" narrower. I'd say if you can get away with a 255/85/16, go for it. I had a '94 K1500 that had 245/75/16 Goodyear MTR's, stock height. For fun, I bolted a 255/85/16 to it and it would have been fine with a few cranks on the torsion bars.

SRMN8R

I've had 2 work vehicles with Silent Armors. One was an 04 Tahoe, and my current one, an 03 Expedition. I absolutely hate the tires. They're good on pavement, but I have little confidence in snow with them, and they are worthless in mud. Even light mud. Hate, hate, hate them. Did I mention that I hate them?

I've gone back to BFG All Terrains on my personal vehicle (99 Suburban). I've yet to find a better all terrain tire for my purposes.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
It's weird how different mud can be in some areas.

My BFG ATKO's are useless in mud. No void area at all, they just turn into slicks that absolutely won't clean out until you're going 60mph on the highway. They are good street, snow(on road), and sand tires. Completely useless on any soft wet surface.

The Silent Armors will at least fling out the mud in those two circumferential (sp?) voids on each side of the tire. I prefer the Silent Armors over the BFG usually. With a decent rear locker these really seem to fling and dig well for me. The Duratracs are IMO, better than both.

The BFG's have a premium price, I could never get those for our company trucks without catching #$% about it.

Expecting decent offroad performance from either of these tires is a bit unrealistic. A Duratrac, STT, Toyo, Trail Grappler, BFG MT would be better, but still street worthy.

I might try some BFG MT's on my personal truck. Since they are one of the only guys making E rated 80 psi 285/75 17 and 295/70 17 tires. I'll may, may not, put diagonal sipes an every other center tread block. Not all of them. My truck is easy to drive in slick icy conditions, so I may not sipe anything since I'm on gravel roads often were I go camping/riding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles