trailer tongue question

srgsng25

Observer
started to work on the 4 x 8 today have a question what is a good length for trailer tongue i was thinking about 3 to 4 foot any thought i am planning to put a 18-24" utility box up front as well

Woods

Explorer
It seems that a 50 degree angle is standard for an A-Frame style trailer coupler bracket. If you plan to use one of these, then buy it before you build this.

My trailer is 4' wide (frame only) and the tongue is about 5' long.

Buy your trailer tongue box first too. You'll want to check the trailgate on your tow rig, to make sure everything is going to play well together.

Check this picture: 108.gif

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
started to work on the 4 x 8 today have a question what is a good length for trailer tongue i was thinking about 3 to 4 foot any thought i am planning to put a 18-24" utility box up front as well

Long enough that you can see your trailer behind you if you have an obstructed view out the rear window (camper, etc).

If building your trailer - be sure to set the axle last. That will let you put everything on it and then put the axle where you need it to achieve 10 - 15% tongue weight.

Maine07jk

Adventurer
I went with a 4' tongue and it has a 16" box frame on it. I thought 4" looked long until I added the box frame and room for the tongue jack. It tracks almost perfect with my 4dr JK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online