RTT and Soft Camper?

dippitydoo

Hey All, I'm trying to come up with a way to secure stuff in my Tacoma's truck bed but also take my roof top tent.

I was looking at

http://www.bestop.com/bestop-product/?p=supertop-for-truck For a soft camper shell

and

https://www.allprooffroad.com/05tacomatrailarmor/tacomabedracks to hold the RTT. Has anyone done this or is it mostly custom?
I thought about mounting the RTT on a rack (like the one above) and then locking a wire cargo net to the top of the bed (and add a lock to the tailgate) to "secure" stuff in the bed. Obviously if someone wants to grab something they can, but more of a deterrent.

Any thoughts?:)

H0LLYW00D

Observer
I have thought about adding a soft cover to mine atleast, but I have not really looked into how I would do it, the problems I can see right away for my truck are water proofing the holes where the tent mounts, waterproofting the container mounts and how to close the cab/tailgate ends, especially the tailgate end as I have lights on the back of the rack that would either need to be cut out or behind a clear plastic.

timber

Adventurer
Here you go

I ran like this for 3.5 years without any problems. eezi awn 1400 on a rack I built under a best top. In the time I had this set up I never had anything stolen or messed with. The Bestop isnt the most secure thing but out of sight out of mind goes a long way. The truck is a daily driver and is parked in a very busy parking lot every weekend for at least 12 hours a day. That lot is known for break ins and theft, I did have my cats cut out from under the truck in broad daylight but never any problems with gear in the back

ElMirageNov20094.jpg

P1020229-1-1.jpg

Here is the Bestop with windows out ready to fold forward
P1020230.jpg

and with the bestop folded forward ready to open RTT
P1020231.jpg

Set up time is a little longer than having the tent out in the open but not that big a deal.
ElMirageNov200914.jpg

All set up!
P1020721.jpg

I have gone a different direction since last September when I was able to work out a great deal with another member on here.:sombrero:
P1060427.jpg

Last edited:

Captm

Adventurer
Timber, With your soft top/RTT everything went in the bed and you only unloaded what you needed. Where/how do you store your supplies with the Flippac? While I want a Flippac, it is $$$ down the road. I am thinking of a RTT ( $800) mounted on my bed lid so I can stow supplies in slide out drawers.

dippitydoo

Thanks Timber, that was very insightful. You could almost mount the RTT to the bed and use that to "secure" the contents underneath. I do like the way you have it setup. I dont like the standard campershells because I always seem to be removing them (to help someone move or buy something too big like a mattress.)

timber

Adventurer
Timber, With your soft top/RTT everything went in the bed and you only unloaded what you needed. Where/how do you store your supplies with the Flippac? While I want a Flippac, it is $$$ down the road. I am thinking of a RTT ( $800) mounted on my bed lid so I can stow supplies in slide out drawers.
For the most part nothing has changed as far as stowage and unloading. Most of my gear I unload is in two medium action packer boxes that I just slide out along with a table and a chair or two. Engle fridge is in the cab behind the passenger seat. Anything else that wont be unloaded gets packed on the passenger side of the flippac under the hammock when I open up the top, this leaves me totally open on the drivers side for dressing or standing and to access the bed area up top.

timber

Adventurer
Thanks Timber, that was very insightful. You could almost mount the RTT to the bed and use that to "secure" the contents underneath. I do like the way you have it setup. I dont like the standard campershells because I always seem to be removing them (to help someone move or buy something too big like a mattress.)
Yes and it would make it more secure. I installed a lock on my tail gate so even with the back flap of the bestop open you cant get much out of there. By lowering the tent rack and sliding it back a few more inches you would close it up even more, including the reach in acess on the sides. I found it was better to keep the rack and tent as high as possible just for the extra room. It was easier to carry extra water,fuel and firewood.

Tactical Tacoma

Wow, I didn't even know it was possible to run both the RTT on a rack and the Bestop too. I have an '09 DC SB TRD Sport Prerunner and am about to trade up to a 2012 DC SB TRD Sport 4x4. I'll definitely need a 4x4 if I plan to start doing expedition camping with the M416 my dad (donbeasley, from post #2) and I are building. Although, my Prerunner (4x2) has never been a problem for me, I have never tried to offroad with the trailer too. I think 4x4 will be more appropriate and much needed for expeditioning with the M416. I'm definitely getting the Bestop Supertop for my truck either way....I love the look it gives the truck, the functionality (I can just fold it down when I need to transport my motorcycle or other large items), and I like that I can use the bed as an additional tent if need be.

Nice setup you use to have there Timber

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94