Torsion Axle for camping trailer

rsbmg

Observer
Suggesting I might be a troll for asking questions? I guess you felt cornered in your logic.

Anyway great attitude I like the passive aggressive approach can't see through it at all:rolleyes:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Suggesting I might be a troll for asking questions? I guess you felt cornered in your logic.

Anyway great attitude I like the passive aggressive approach can't see through it at all:rolleyes:

Gabe's a great guy, he's very smart and very straight forward.

If Gabe offered me the opportunity to learn something from him, one on one, over the phone, or in person, I'd jump on it.

There are no easy answers to any of this, and people are biased in their opinions. Gabe builds trailers with all the different suspension, he's the walking text book on the subject.

rsbmg

Observer
That's great but I'm in here asking questions because I don't build trailers and am trying to understand the differences in suspensions. A simple response would have been:

"It's a little difficult to explain on a forum, if you would like to give me a call I would be happy to answer your questions."

No need for the "If your not trolling" comment even if the offer was sincere that destroys any creditably he may have had.

Plus if building trailers is his business I would now be suspect of how I as a potential customer would be treated. Nuff Said.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
This thread has caused a lot of strife, which none of us need. All are good people with their own beliefs about suspension. We just need to step back and appreciate the knowledge that is here. As Rodney would say, can't we all just get along.

OK, since I'm the one who innocently started all this, I guess maybe I'll be the one who deliberately finishes this.

My question was, "Are there any circumstances where a new, light weight, camping trailer build might include a torsion axle rather than a traditional axle with leaf springs?"

Now, my simple, analytical, thoughtful, respectful and newly knowledgeable answer to myself is, "YES".

Nuff said

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
That's great but I'm in here asking questions because I don't build trailers and am trying to understand the differences in suspensions. A simple response would have been:

"It's a little difficult to explain on a forum, if you would like to give me a call I would be happy to answer your questions."

No need for the "If your not trolling" comment even if the offer was sincere that destroys any creditably he may have had.

Plus if building trailers is his business I would now be suspect of how I as a potential customer would be treated. Nuff Said.

Again my advise would be pick up the phone or drive north to visit with Gabe. If knowledge is your goal then he'll have the answers for you.

Gabe runs a great operation in Upland, the quality of his work is incredible, and every time I've been to his shop I see happy customers.

He also calls it as he sees it, a quality that cuts both ways, but if you want to cut through the BS and get straight answers he's your man. I wouldn't let one off hand comment influence your decision.

Woods

Explorer
Generally, that represents a good design. The short trailing arms are really good for lateral strength and allow the wheel to move back and up when they hit bumps (this is a good thing) Steel springs are lively and have a more even spring rate than air bags. The spring perches look like they have bump stops built in. Those look like disc brakes too.

The potential down sides that I see;
I don't see limiting straps or coil brackets, which would indicate that the shocks limit the amount of droop. This is not good.
A benefit of air bags over springs is adjustability. With air bags, you can level the trailer. With springs you can not.

Any more pics of the rest of the trailer?

Any opinions on this type of set-up? I know it looks a little hoopty but you get the idea

View attachment 90243

rsbmg

Observer
I found the pictures over on pirate 4x4 on a trailer thread there, thought it looked pretty good. Just researching the possibilities for my trailer.

001-37.jpg

jronwood

Adventurer
That coil is interesting, reminds me of a diving board we replaced the spring on it with a coil from a Chevy 3/4 ton. BUT looks serviceable, AND brings up a point I was going to make for you serious off roaders who want to pull trailers. I have 4 H&H Brindles here used to haul propane tanks, they al have "stub" torsion axles (in other words the axle is NOT THERE in the middle, justt welded to the side frame. It is like a BIG wishbone with a arch above to lift the tank from. This would prevent any axle drag on rocks etc.... I will dig up some pics, and one of them has a inside edge that rotted thru and made the trailer "un-roadworthy". Just another thought for you guys

OBrindle1.jpgOBrindle2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles