what refrigirator are you all using

rideglobally

Adventurer
i think i have decided to mount a stationary refrigirator (non portable). what refrigirator are you all using? which one is the most efficient?

mech33

ARB Fridge/freezer, just bought it last summer and love it!!! I bought it from Sierra Expeditions, great service and great price.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
The absolutely best fridge is the National Luna and Paul & Ben over at Equipt can get you setup. I have run an Engel, a Luna & an ARB and the Luna uses less power and is a great fridge.

Currently I have an ARB 63 which I like as low & long as that works in my current rig.

It all depends on what you need as far as size, battery saving vs max cooling and out you will locate it.

ExpoMike

When you say "stationary" are you talking an upright unit or a top load unit that you are not going to remove?

If you are talking an upright (like RV style) then I can highly recommend Nova Kool fridges. I put on into my FWC to replace the 3 way propane unit that was in there. Nova Kool are very popular in the boating industry and have been getting more popular in the RV world. It's a compressor fridge just like the ARB/Engel/National Luna top load ones.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Not sure what type of fridge you are looking for when you refer to a "stationary" fridge.

We have both an ARB-50 and in Engel MT-35. We bought the ARB to put in the back of our FJC, and then a few months later bought a used AT Horizon trailer that had the Engel installed. According to tests run by OJ, the ARB is more efficient.

Between these two, I prefer the design of the ARB. It has some convenience features (interior light, temperature readout, a little better interior configuration for food storage) that I like better than the older Engel design.

If you are talking about something permanently installed such as you'd find in a camper or an RV, we have a 2-way Dometic in our camper that has given us about 13 years of trouble free service. Don't know the model or size off hand, but I'd guess it's old enough that they no longer make that specific model.

rideglobally

Adventurer
When you say "stationary" are you talking an upright unit or a top load unit that you are not going to remove?

If you are talking an upright (like RV style) then I can highly recommend Nova Kool fridges. I put on into my FWC to replace the 3 way propane unit that was in there. Nova Kool are very popular in the boating industry and have been getting more popular in the RV world. It's a compressor fridge just like the ARB/Engel/National Luna top load ones.

thanks this is exactly what i am talking about when i say stationary. i agree otherwise i would go with ARB or Engel. national luna is off my budget...... thanks

D

Deleted member 12023

Engel 45. Never had a problem, works great! Got it for cheap as a scratch and dent from Engel

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I have an engel 45 - for 4 years now permanently on either cooling beers in the house or in the truck

had two problems-

1 it was a 110v fridge- it did not like 220v

Power supply from engel was 250 usd--------a computer type 12V power supply was 50usd
That mod is two years old and leaves the fridge 110-240V capable

The plastic slide base clip broke in Oman after a rather rough desert trip - no roads - lots of revs and jumps- ovalled the chassis on the truck that time out where the bump stops are.

Both issues my fault not the product- works as it says on the advert - it makes things cold

westyss

Explorer
For a built in fridge alot of people are going to Nova Kool, I know a few people who have sailboats and they have replacedthier old fridges with Nova Kools, there are several sizes and configurations available, even side by side fridge freezer units, they are good value and don't hear many bad comments about them, they also have support over the phone so you can actually talk to a real person!

Efficiency wise, I would say that a chest fridge is "the" most efficient, no cold air spilling out when opening. But most of the newer fridges are powered by the standard efficient compressors, if more insulation can be added it will be more efficient obviously, and dont open the door and look inside for a while!, my mom told me that ! A smaller unit will use less energy and if full will help too. Nove Kool was easy to install,
step one: put in.
Step two: connect two wires
Step three: use!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles