Need a new setup to make a trail network map for trail guiding. Lowrance Baja???

4lowdean

Observer
I use(d) an old XP powered Dell Laptop with Delorme Topo USA 6.0 for my trail guiding duties. It uses a USB antenna and is powered off of a 12v inverter. On my last trip out (which was my first trip in a few years with the set up) I found out the laptop is all but dead and the inverter is fried. That means it is time for a new set up.

I like everything Topo USA can do but I have recently gone over to the dark side and converted to Mac so I am not eager to rush out and buy a Windows tablet or laptop to replace my Dell. Now, I do happen to have an older version of the NatGeo State Series box for my state that is Mac compatible and it says I can export to Lowrance devices.

So I guess my question would be, for those that use or have used the Lowrance E5m Baja, how easy and user friendly is it for creating maps with? I have a number of friends that use them in their off-road racers (KoH, Baja, etc) but it's really not the same as developing a trail network map at an off road park and using it for guiding.

Basically what I need it to do is record a breadcrumb trail from a new trail, allow me to import that breadcrumb trail to something like the NatGeo software, then update the trail map for the park. Then once I am done with the map I can use the Lowrance unit for navigation around the park and keep things updated.

The bonus would be if I can use the Lowrance unit for "on road" navigation too. :smiley_drive:

UglyScout

Observer
There isn't any on road navigation/functionality in the fullsize Lowrance models. You can see the road you are on, but it won't route you or do much else. (Unless you get one of the discontinued car based models that doesn't do all the trail stuff like like fullsize models OR the Lowrance XOG but it has a small 3" screen and the basemaps were last updated in 2008 so things are stuck in time)

Also the Lowrance file format is kind of crummy and doesn't work well with other software programs.

AND you can't really upload your own base maps to the Lowrance and the stock basemaps are terrible and the add on basemaps are pricey...

I'd go with a Garmin product - get something like the Oregon that has a big screen but is designed for trails, routes and all that. Most software works directly with the Garmin format so you don't lose any of the data functionality.

What software do you use to update the final map?

For the record I have a 5" Lowrance with the external puck antenna that you would use in Baja or KOH and a little Lowrance XOG which is cool, but only cool if you have another Lowrance or hang out with guys that have one. I also have a handheld Garmin. They record almost identical tracks if laid out side by side. They all have there place.

YukonRob

Adventurer
I have the older Lowrance 480c Baja. I typically upload to it using GPSBabel to convert google earth trails, then do the reverse to download the trails onto my PC. As Scout mentioned, Lowrance basemaps (and support) have lots of room for improvement. I'll keep using this system until the 'wheels fall off', then I'll migrate to a tablet solution. I like to stay on the trailing edge of technology (without falling off), I find it less expensive.
An aside: GPSBabel is an amazing (and free!) product. I suspect it can do much of what you need for translatting files between various formats.

4lowdean

Observer
I am in the market for new software too. I had been using the Delorme stuff on the Dell laptop and my old Windows desktop. I also have an old copy of the National Geographic software laying around but their Mac version is not compatible with the newest version of OSX (Lion).

I do have a Gamin Nuvi for on-road navigation. My old handheld was a Garmin too, but I sold that years ago. So I am pretty familiar and pleased with Garmin products.

Are there any Garmin units that support an auxiliary screen? I guess another option would be to tether something to my iPad but that is not my ideal choice.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Honestly I have been super happy with my Acer Netbook running BOTH Delorme Topo and Oziexplorer.
I use a Igo mini 12vdc inverter that bypasses the factory 120v brick...paired with the usb GPS puck this setup just won't let me down and has gotten beaten up on washboards for hours in Baja and run 12-14hr days for over a week at a time.
Plus I can backup my pics from the camera, store PDF files for my rig, radio and other gear.

The netbooks are around $200-$300 for something good.

4lowdean

Observer
Honestly I have been super happy with my Acer Netbook running BOTH Delorme Topo and Oziexplorer.
I use a Igo mini 12vdc inverter that bypasses the factory 120v brick...paired with the usb GPS puck this setup just won't let me down and has gotten beaten up on washboards for hours in Baja and run 12-14hr days for over a week at a time.
Plus I can backup my pics from the camera, store PDF files for my rig, radio and other gear.

The netbooks are around $200-$300 for something good.

I am so done with Windows it's not even funny. So a netbook is kind of out of the question. Whatever I get (software wise) has to work with my Mac desktop and laptop and whatever I get hardware wise has to work with that software.

For now I am still using my Dell with the Delorme Topo because, you're right, it does work... but I am ready for something better/newer.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Get the back issue of Overland Journal that listed all the mappimg options for Mac. Scott Brady (and others) seem to have made the iPad as their mobile mapping platform. I'm not positive, but I think they use Topo! on them? I'm not sure.

4lowdean

Observer
Get the back issue of Overland Journal that listed all the mappimg options for Mac. Scott Brady (and others) seem to have made the iPad as their mobile mapping platform. I'm not positive, but I think they use Topo! on them? I'm not sure.

Do you know the year/month of that issue? I am hesitant to use my iPad only because it is "for school" and I really don't want to muck it up off-road. Although with the iPad 3rd gen out now I might be able to pick an older one up cheap.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Do you know the year/month of that issue? I am hesitant to use my iPad only because it is "for school" and I really don't want to muck it up off-road. Although with the iPad 3rd gen out now I might be able to pick an older one up cheap.

Not sure. There were two articles. One deal with WinPC solutions, the other article focused on Mac based solutions. I searched the OJ index, but the search results were not very helpful. Fall 2007 was a big GPS comparison, but that was device specific, not software. I remember that article. http://www.overlandjournal.com/index/index.php5/Fall_2007

Click the button on the left of this page and see what you can find: http://www.overlandjournal.com/journal/
I was pretty surprised when "software" did not return any results, and of course "GPS" is listed many, many times. The author was Chris Marzonie.

4lowdean

Observer
Not sure. There were two articles. One deal with WinPC solutions, the other article focused on Mac based solutions. I searched the OJ index, but the search results were not very helpful. Fall 2007 was a big GPS comparison, but that was device specific, not software. I remember that article. http://www.overlandjournal.com/index/index.php5/Fall_2007

Click the button on the left of this page and see what you can find: http://www.overlandjournal.com/journal/
I was pretty surprised when "software" did not return any results, and of course "GPS" is listed many, many times. The author was Chris Marzonie.

Thanks!

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Hi guys,

on Page 73 of the Fall 2010 issue there is an article by Graham Jackson devoted to Mac digital mapping solutions.

he talks about the ipad as a platform, and reviews the:
GPSy X
MacGPS Pro
RouteBuddy
Garmin RoadTrip

His top choice was the MacGPS Pro ($60 at time of printing, Mac OS 10.3.8 or later).

Cheers

Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles