iPad 3 announcement

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Haven - want you to know how much your research and efforts in posting are appreciated. I no longer bother with convential news since you bring us the bleeding edge of fun 411 before most outlets even have it. Anyway, thanks!

haven

Expedition Leader
A 16GB iPad has a little less than 14GB of storage space available to the owner. The rest of the space is taken up by the operating system and the standard applications (Safari, iTunes, and so on). The new Retina Display means more storage will be required for apps, video and still photos than used to be required with the iPad 2.

App file sizes are increasing. Some apps are doubling in size, or more. Apps with lots of built-in graphics (games, for example) are increasing the most. Here are a few examples

application … old file size … new file size for Retina Display
Apple Pages … 95MB … 269 MB
Apple Numbers … 109MB … 283MB
Apple Keynote … 115MB … 327MB
Apple iMovie … 70MB … 404MB
New York Times for iPad … 4.2MB … 4.9MB
SketchBook Pro for iPad … 15.5MB … 34.6MB
Amazon Kindle1 … 6.6MB … 18.3MB
Evernote … 16.7MB … 19MB
Star Walk for iPad … 122MB … 153MB

Looks like you should set aside a couple of gigbytes more for app file storage on the new iPad.

The new iPad's 5 megapixel camera also means larger files
… HD movie 30 minutes of video takes 5 GB
… still image 1 to 2 megabytes per jpeg photo, so 1GB of storage for 500 to 1000 photos

Conclusion: If you plan to use your iPad primarily for email, web browsing and occasional e-book reading and movie viewing, then 16 GB looks like enough. (Netflix and Amazon stream the movie to your iPad, so it takes far less storage than if you were purchasing and downloading the movie.)

If you're planning to buy lots of games or use the iPad for storing movies and photos, then the 32 GB model would be a wise choice.

haven

Expedition Leader
I picked up my new iPad today, and all I can say is, WOW! That new display is everything people say it is, and more. It's the best-looking computer display I have ever used. TV shows look better on the new iPad than they do on my flatscreen TV. Magazine articles look as good on the iPad as they do on the glossy printed page. Even content that is not optimized for the new display, such as the ExPo web site or Google Maps, looks clearer.

In addition to improvements in resolution, the new iPad screen shows a wider color gamut. It's really quite noticeable when you look at the same photograph on the iPad, and on a traditional computer like my iMac. Man, now I hate to use my iMac!

This makes me think that Apple will announce higher resolution screens for the MacBook Pro this summer. The 15 inch Pro has a screen resolution of 1440 x 900 today. Double that to 2880 x 1800, and you'd have somewhere near 225 pixels per inch. The new iPad has 264 ppi, but you hold a tablet a little closer to your head than a laptop. So I'm thinking 225 ppi would give a similar experience.

I'm thinking that Apple should also consider producing an "iPad Pro" with a keyboard attached, like a mini laptop. Ah, the possibilities!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
This makes me think that Apple will announce higher resolution screens for the MacBook Pro this summer. The 15 inch Pro has a screen resolution of 1440 x 900 today. Double that to 2880 x 1800, and you'd have somewhere near 225 pixels per inch. The new iPad has 264 ppi, but you hold a tablet a little closer to your head than a laptop. So I'm thinking 225 ppi would give a similar experience.

I have been following this summers MacBookPro release news with a lot of interest, as I really need to replace my dinosaur of a PC. I am excited by all the MacRummors of a MBP with the body style of a Macbook Air, and the Retina screen, new Intel Sandy Bridge processors, and so forth. I am hoping for USB 3 and as many ports and connectors as possible (Apple's particularly stubborn about these factors though, somehow insisting that using dongles and converters is a more elegant solution. Pah!) Hopefully their growing use in the Corporate world will influence their connectivity option configurations.

I'm thinking that Apple should also consider producing an "iPad Pro" with a keyboard attached, like a mini laptop. Ah, the possibilities!
Isn't that called a MacBook Air? The 11" Air is almost exactly the same size as the iPad.

RobRed

Explorer
The iPad will use the apple Bluetooth keyboard and there are cases that attach them. Moreover os x mountain lion will continue to blur the lines between the Mac and iOS. 2013's rev of os x will have the Mac running iOS apps in addition to Mac apps.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

reece146

Automotive Artist
I have one of those flip cases with a built in BT keyboard. I very rarely use it - only when I need to do more involved writing (i.e. technical docs, reports, etc.).

Oh, and when doing cmd line ssh type stuff.

haven

Expedition Leader
After 10 days with the new iPad, I'm satisfied with my purchase. There are relatively few apps that take full advantage of the higher screen resolution, but text looks better in all applications. The improved color gamut makes photos look great, as well.

Ed B

Adventurer
Haven,

Hearing anything about a possible recall on WiFi only iPad 3's for difficulties accessing or maintaining internet connection?

haven

Expedition Leader
I've read that the Apple Store techs are supposed to give customers new iPads when they can confirm that the customer's iPad is exhibiting certain WiFi issues. So some small number of iPads have a reproducible problem.

I have had no issues with my new WiFi iPad. It works better (stronger Wireless-N connection, no problem maintaining connection, faster downloads) than other WiFi gadgets I have in the house right now. I doubt that Apple is planning any sort of recall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94