Land Rover Defender expert sought in Buenos Aires for 1 hour gig

expeditionerd

Observer
I'm in the process of remotely buying a 01' Defender 110 TD5 in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

I would like to find someone there, on the ground, who I can hire to go do a quick visual inspection and drive test.
The vehicle is stored in Buenos Aires, and the inspection shouldn't take longer than 1 hour.

This is a paid gig, of course.

Does anyone know a Land Rover Defender expert or enthusiast, who might know anyone similar in Buenos Aires with whom I can get in touch with?

For the curious, this is the vehicle I'm trying to evaluate.

Thanks a ton in advance.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331170419.924883.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331170419.924883.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 16

Steve UK

Adventurer
Hello,

I cannot help with being on the ground, but have built up some knowledge of the TD5 engine after fixing all its inherent problems ! Once sorted though it really is a fantastic engine.

I would check the head out first which has 2 problems, No.1 exhaust port can crack and use water, These engines do not like getting too hot and the heads can shift on its plastic dowels over time or when too hot. Be sure to check the water level, they don't tend to mix oil/water just use all the water and fail. Check all the hoses too. It may have been topped up before the inspection, hoses should be reasonably firm after a run mine used to be soft.

2nd they have an internal fuel gallery with internal fuel injectors, the material around the injectors is too thin and can crack leaking diesel into the sump. Worst case the engine will breath and run on its own oil when the level gets too high. Check the oil level is not too high

Both of these can be fixed with a new spanish made head from AMC, very good quality.

The injector looms are inside the head and oil can track down the loom to the ecu, easy and cheap fix.

Early TD5 the oil pump screw can come off the oil pump drive sprocket, sump off and re loctite screw. again easy and cheap fix.

The bottom end of these are very reliable.

I know all this sounds bad but just letting you know. I wouldn't swap mine for any other engine. It is ecu controlled but you can still fix it easily at home or on the road, cheap diagnostic tools are available such as the nanocom evolution which reads live data too make things even easier. Pictures in my gallery of engine work.

Regards,

Steve

Rippin'AV

Adventurer
My uncle lives in Buenos Aires and is an enthusiast of off-roading, adventure travel, etc. but doesn't necessarily know a lot about Land Rovers. He's military and can smell BS a mile a way if that helps. Let me know if you think he can be of some help. At least he can drive it around and see that it runs, etc. If you speak spanish I can just give you his email and let you two work things out.

Cheers,
Alan

expeditionerd

Observer
Hey Alan, thank you!

We took a look at the vehicle today and with the help of a member from the Land Rover Club Argentina, we determined the model was, as advertised, in excellent condition.

And so I went ahead and closed the deal.

Needless to say, I'm super excited!

.m

Last edited:

expeditionerd

Observer
Thanks Scott.

Just look what you started; the fever is now spreading throughout the world. I guess this is what happens when people get exposed to Overland Journal. You might consider adding a warning note when readers receive their first number.

- Be sure to know that you now have a local ride next time you visit Patagonia.

Steve UK

Adventurer
Brilliant your going to love it!

Just got to work, I use it every Friday and love driving it even for a commute :)

If you ever do have any questions on the engine I will try and help if not I know other people who can surely help. I will look out for pictures when you get it :smiley_drive:

Steve

expeditionerd

Observer
No plans to import to the US. This rig will be based in Argentina. Somehow the idea of offering it for rental or setting up a few guided trips to Patagonia keeps on floating around my head.

I would be interested in discussing a hire with you. I need an expedition vehicle, preferably landy defender, for 4 months starting in December this year. I'd be picking it up and returning it to Buenos Aires. It's for my support team for 'Ultimate Trilogy' - a ski traverse of the north Patagonian icecap, ocean row up to Valparaiso and Aconcagua summit.

expeditionerd

Observer
@ChuluTravels Can't divulge all details, but it was a fair price for a really well maintained TD5.
@MargaretBowling Sounds very interesting. Although you are catching me way off guard right now, let's take this offline and see if there's anything we can figure out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles