M416 Wheels

95RRC

Adventurer
Has anyone with a M416 trailer changed the wheels to a Land Rover bolt pattern? I have purchased an old trailer that needs a bunch of work - but one thing I want to do is change out the wheels to match the tow vehicle.

Do you need to fit an adaptor?
Do you need to replace the entire axel?
Do you replace the hub only?

Thanks for the help...pics below...

Last edited:

95RRC

Adventurer
Pics

here is a picture of my new to me 1962 Stevens M416 it is one that was used by USMC, under the flaky paint are the markings, with data plates etc...

I have been inspired by this site to build a trailer - sooooooo.....gonna have many Q! I will start a build thread as well to garner all in one.

Attachments

• trailfrt-3.jpg
    trailfrt-3.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 14
  • trailside-1.jpg
    trailside-1.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 9

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Welcome to the madness of the M416!!!

As one who has been sloooooooowly re-building an M416, I feel your pain and enjoyment at the same time.

A wide variety of opinions on the axle/spacer issue. Since the M416 pattern matches my jeep, I chose to keep it. Some guys put spacers and keep the emergency brake. Others put all new axles with the right bolt pattern and electric brakes. Lots of threads on this.

Lots of threads on builds and lots of good ideas.

Here is mine but it is not finished yet (are they ever).

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/66531-M416-Build-to-go-behind-my-CJ

Again welcome and PICTURES ARE REQUIRED

rat patrol

Adventurer
Good luck.
I drive a Series III. The best I can suggest is swapping out the axle or as I did...buy a spare wheel and call it good.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Looks like a good trailer to start with. Is there much rust through or just surface?
Looks like several coats of paint. Blast away and keep us posted with pictures.
I vote to change the axle too! match your tow vehicle and use the same spare.
Good luck!

95RRC

Adventurer
Thanks Don & Mark: Since posting I have trolled through the vast amount of information on here....there sure are some wonderful trailers! Don - yours is outstanding - and an inspiration.

There is no "through" rust on it anywhere - as a mater of fact it holds water real/too well in the tub! All the rust is surface, and will come off.

The paint on the trailer is about two coats over the original USMC job. I intend to blast it down to bare metal. Then paint it ???? color. Trouble is here in Northern VA the estimates I have to soda blast it (strip only) is $600-700...which is over twice what I paid for the trailer. I really don't want to strip it by hand, but it seems as if that is what I will have to do.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I had mine sandblasted and powdercoated with a base primer. The cost to sand (I could not afford soda) was about $300 I think (it has been a while). I found about 15+ small pinholes in the bottom when the rust was gone. I am having a few welded and will bedliner it so the rest will be filled in.

General Automag

Adventurer
If anyone out there in Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, or Tennesse is upgrading their "stock" M416 wheels and tires to a different rim and tire size, please save your old wheels. I'm looking for a good spare rim and tire for our M416 trailer. Thanks!

DiscoCO

Observer
95RRC - I went through the same concerns with my trailer. I wanted to match the bolt pattern of my '04 Disco so that I only had to carry one spare (and it looks pretty cool too). I needed to take my 5x4.5 hubs to 5x120mm for my Rover D2 wheels on my CDN M101. Here is a picture of the adapters I purchased from US Wheel Adapters here just outside Denver. Doug, the owner, knew exactly what I needed and had them made up for me very quickly.

CHA_2209.jpg

And here's a pic of the wheels on the trailer:

CHA_2228.jpg

And here's a pic of the Landie and the CDN M101:

CHA_2245.jpg

Still have some more work to do on the trailer, but it's getting there.

I also need to put together a Build Thread (but I'm still building).

95RRC

Adventurer
Sweet - that is exactly what I am going to do then! Awesome....now I need to find a reasonably priced sandblaster/stripper in my area!!

Thanks a lot DiscoCO!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz