2013 Dodge Ram gets Pentastar V6, 8 speed trans

rkj__

Adventurer
I test drove a 2012 1500 (because they gave me a $10 gas card to do so) and it was indeed pretty smooth. I'd say it would be well suited for what a large number of buyers are using their pickups for.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Don't know why you guys are so against a modern electronic range selector. The macho factor?

Keep in mind big bad 18 wheels of steel, and 54,000 lbs GVW tour coaches, run across the continent, day and night, in all weather, using electronic push buttons to control either automatic Allisons or automated ZF/Eaton Autoshifts.

Even more, all the heavy military equipment haulers running Allisons also have electronic range selectors. If they're good to withstand zero visibility dust storm battle scenes, they're good enough for me!

chromisdesigns

Adventurer
What it is old is new again...

View attachment 125672

Man does that pic ever bring back memories!

My first-ever car was an old black Rambler Ambassador with the 327 V8 and pushbutton slushbox transmission that I inherited from my dad. By the time I got it and played with it a while (swapped out the carb for a Holley 4-barrel, put in glasspacks, and added a racing stripe!), the trannie was so loose you could wind up the motor, punch in DRIVE, and there would be this ....delay.... then the old tin box would peel out just like a dragster, leaving two huge strips of rubber on the pavement! What a hoot...almost like "launch control" on the expensive sports cars and sedans today.

The thing was so light it would surprise small-block Chevys and Mustangs in stoplight races. It was a real Q-ship...at least until some suburban mom with a bunch of kids in a big wagon t-boned it one day running a stoplight.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I really like the new 2013 FS Ram 1500. Nice rigs for sure...was looking at a 2012 5.7 a few weeks ago, gets better gas mileage than my 3.9L Dakota did in 2003. That Multi Displacement engine is great...and I have no doubt that the 3.6L will do well for 99% of the 1500 buyers out there. I laugh when people fear technology and computers, EVERYTHING runs on computers and microprocessors now, everything. Technology has come such a long way in the last 20 years, hell the last 3 years even. The good ole days are gone folks, the good new days are here.

I still prefer a "shifter" to a dial, but I like where this is going.

Cyclone.1983

Observer
I just saw this thread and thought id bump it. I have 40 k miles on my 13 ram 1500 crew/quad cab (whichever the big one is) it has the V6 with the 8 speed trans.

Drove from iowa to colorado the other week at 80 mph, and got 25 mpg. The transmission shifts so smooth that Ive never noticed it even shifting unless you smash on the gas to go from say 40-60 quickly. Rides like a caddilac, so quiet, sounds like an electric car. I absolutely love this pickup. I also have a 13 f350 and a 10 f150 (I farm). They are garbage compared. The dodge w/ this setup is pretty worthless towing anything btw. My last daily drivers were a 11 JKR, and a 10 JKU. I can never go back to jeeps for daily drivers again. Ive searched and searched. Has anyone built one of these up on here? Im thinking small lift with 33's and maybe front winch bumper?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier