2013 Dodge Ram gets Pentastar V6, 8 speed trans

haven

Expedition Leader
Pickuptrucks.com is reporting that Dodge plans to use the Pentastar V6 and an 8 speed automatic transmission in some of its Ram 1500 pickups. The V6 is the one Jeep added to the Wrangler this year. It produces around 260 ft lb of torque. The V6 and 8 speed should improve mpg by 20%, maybe more.

Ram pickups will continue to be available with a variety of V8 and diesel options, so no need to worry if you use your pickup for serious towing and hauling. The V6 will be for light duty.

The Dodge Ram 1500 has coil springs front and rear, unusual for a full size pickup. I'm starting to think of the Ram 1500 as a Toyota Tacoma with more room in the bed and more payload. Yes, I know that the Tacoma has a better history of durability than Dodge does. But these new Dodge trucks are better made than the trucks from 10 years ago.

oldestof11

Observer
I hope the 8spd makes its way into a big enough app for diesels.

8spds... Who woulda thunk that the worst transmission maker would make the most advanced transmission years later.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Grand Cherokee gets a 3.0 MB diesel as an option.
If they were smart they would offer it in the Ram.
That would rock in a 1500 with a 6 speed stick!

EXP-T100

Adventurer
.......4 more gears to go break in a dodge transmission :REOutShootinghunter
x2
They need to work on making there transmissions work and last before throwing 4 more gears at them, although an 8 speed manual would be sweet.

86cj

Explorer
x2
They need to work on making there transmissions work and last before throwing 4 more gears at them, although an 8 speed manual would be sweet.

There is hope............
The new eight-speed automatic, introduced and licensed through ZF and often found on high-end luxury cars including Audi, Bentley, BMW, Range Rover and Rolls Royce, will be available on selected models of the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger. Initially, the transmission will be mated exclusively to the award-winning 3.6-liter V6 Pentastar engine that was introduced last year.
http://www.media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?id=11378&mid=261

I am a fan of the Express package, I have never owned a Dodge but feel a loyalty to a company that lets you get just the good stuff. As a GM guy, I can say that is so NOT GM..........

nosnerd

wanna be tourist
makes sense///// 285 hp...and 8 speeds...prob a double OD with a .50 final ratio....

i would be a hold out if i was on the market for a half ton DD

haven

Expedition Leader
The 2013 Ram 1500 has been introduced at the NY Auto Show. In addition to the Pentastar V6 and 8 speed trans, Dodge engineers went all-in to improve mpg. Changes include an optional air suspension system that lowers the truck at freeway speeds, electric power steering, a set of louvers behind the grill that shut at speed to reduce drag, a deeper chin spoiler, aero-shaped tubular side step, a three piece hard tonneau cover for the truck bed, weight reductions in frame and body parts, and low rolling resistance tires. Result: best in class mpg.

The air suspension works off-road, too. In fully raised position, the Ram 1500 has best in class ground clearance, approach angle and breakover angle, according to Dodge. The air suspension has two off-road settings, one firm for faster driving, and one soft for slow going. The air suspension is reported to be developed from the system available on the Grand Cherokee.

Read more about the 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 here
http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/2013-ram.html
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/04/2013-ram-1500-first-look-.html

lllateralus

Observer
These trucks are getting SOOOO... "foofy" and super super duper complex. All those color screen displays and rotary shift knob... holy moly.

How are these trucks going to be holding up with truck use and abuse that spans 2,3,4 decades. When I see a 1st generation Dodge Ram Cummins, or a 70's Ford 4X4 still getting used like a work truck (or my old 7.3)... I cannot imagine these new trucks lasting with EVERYTHING in the truck being controlled by computers. (even shifting to PARK..)

Crazy.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
These trucks are getting SOOOO... "foofy" and super super duper complex. All those color screen displays and rotary shift knob... holy moly.

How are these trucks going to be holding up with truck use and abuse that spans 2,3,4 decades. When I see a 1st generation Dodge Ram Cummins, or a 70's Ford 4X4 still getting used like a work truck (or my old 7.3)... I cannot imagine these new trucks lasting with EVERYTHING in the truck being controlled by computers. (even shifting to PARK..)

Crazy.

It's funny when people say that new truck reliability electronics blah blah. But I guarantee that there are more new cars and trucks with 100, 200000 or more miles than old cars and trucks. I remember it was a milestone when a car hit 100000. Now it's just everyday occurrence.

lllateralus

Observer
It's funny when people say that new truck reliability electronics blah blah. But I guarantee that there are more new cars and trucks with 100, 200000 or more miles than old cars and trucks. I remember it was a milestone when a car hit 100000. Now it's just everyday occurrence.

That's because people are drive more, commuting more, and accumulating miles FASTER. What I am talking about is AGE. Modern lubricants allow engines to run many miles, but age still occurs.

How are those electronics going to hold up when they are 20 years old? I'm not talking about simple ECU's, but MANY COMPLEX computers that control everything from the digital dash displays to the fail-safe sensors that shut the engine down when any problem occurs like the new Ford diesels.

Age, wear, vibration, moisture will kill these computers in time, and they will not be 25-30 + years old and referred to as 'good old trucks' like the old trucks on this website today.

(this is just my opinion, of course)

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
That's because people are drive more, commuting more, and accumulating miles FASTER. What I am talking about is AGE. Modern lubricants allow engines to run many miles, but age still occurs.

How are those electronics going to hold up when they are 20 years old? I'm not talking about simple ECU's, but MANY COMPLEX computers that control everything from the digital dash displays to the fail-safe sensors that shut the engine down when any problem occurs like the new Ford diesels.

Age, wear, vibration, moisture will kill these computers in time, and they will not be 25-30 + years old and referred to as 'good old trucks' like the old trucks on this website today.

(this is just my opinion, of course)

That's all it is is your opinion. Look at the cars from the 90's. They are pushing 20 years now. They are good to go.

lstzephyr

wanderer
The cars from the 90s are now considered pretty simple. They had one computer but rarely more. The current cars are more like ipods. There are just too many systems. I am not worried about the computers as much as I am worried about the plastics and corresponding clips, knobs, attachements and accessories. Computers can be replaced but plastics get truly impossible to maintain and repair after a certain age.

New cars with more miles than old cars? I doubt it. I see plenty of old cars with 200k plus miles and it all comes down to the owner and the maintenance of the vehicle. These newer vehicles will be more like repairing a computer as well as a car. Will they offer new computer systems and screens? It is a possibility and may lead to a longer life. It all depends on how they are approached.

So it may be his opinion but he isn't alone. Your opinion is also "only your opinion". I have no idea how the current crop of cars will last but I can tell you I don't plan to be one of the ones with first hand knowledge. I will keep my old beater going as long as possible. The more complicated these vehicles become the less I will be attracted to paying large amounts of money for them. I like technology but I don't like complexity. I would buy a simple modern truck but I think that safety, emissions and other mandates will require a level of complexity. I would buy a new argentine f100 with a 3.9 cummins but that won't be available here.

Last edited:

JeffRRC

Adventurer
I like the fact that Chrysler is really putting money and energy in their products. This is a great sign for future Jeeps. I hope they continue to do well in all segments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94