New to the G Wagon

forty4fun

Observer
Folks:

I have recently aquired a 2002 G. I am new to MB having driven Toyota LCs for the last 20 years. I currently have an 80 series with some stuff from Mr. Slee that I will use for harder stuff. During my decision to purchase this vehicle I thought long and hard about the 100/200 series LC but in the end decided I wanted to try something different. First impresion driving it was it reminds me of my 1994 D90 when looking over the hood. Although that is where the similiarity ends !

Anyway, I will be hanging around here and trying to learn from you guys. Don't worry I don't plan to trade in the camoflague T shirts for loafers and a blazer just yet. I do plan to exercise it with some mild offroading to get family up to picnic spots etc. If I begin to annoy you guys with too many questions just let me know. Right now I am deep in the owners manual trying to find out why I have standing lamps and why my GPS cannot locate me

Regrds,

Dave

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Welcome! I too am thinking about crossing over from the LC side. I will be interested in your opinion. Have fun!

jwlester

Observer
More impressions comparing the LC, Rovers, and MB would be interesting. This has long been the "fork in the road" decision for me. Good luck with the new toy.

traveller09

Agree, would love to hear more of your impressions. I have TLC 80 series and will make a change to something else soon, most likely a G500. I was all set to go down the Defender path but have had a change of mind so I would love to hear your opinion of a G500 vs D90 as well.

forty4fun

Observer
GWagon Impressions

Guys:

Thanks for welcoming me around the virtual campfire.

First off I love the LC. I have an 1993 80 series with 220K on the Odo and I believe it will go for another 220K. I worked through the 40,60, 62, 55 and finally to the 80. I typically fix my vehicles myself. Did the headgasket in the cruiser a year ago. As far as fixability/modifications I think the LC has an advantage. The guys over at MUD can talk you through anything and are pushing the envelope of what is possible to do to an LC. The G has a lot more computer controlled functions. Although, closing the drivers door in the G feels like closing a bank vault. For power the two vehicles are not even close. The LC takes a loooong time to get up to speed or climb a long grade. I have all the armor bolted on it which doesn't help. With the G, push the skinny pedal and away you go. This is the biggest difference for me. It is hard not to enjoy the acceleration after driving vehicles equipted with inline tractor motors for so long. I also think the G is a more comfortable vehicle. Granted it is almost 10 years younger but the seating position is better laid out - in my opinion.

G vs the D90. This one is more about expectations. When I bought the D90 I went into the dealer and put my name on a list. When one became available I was instructed to show up with my checkbook or he would call the next guy in line. I bought #109. I wanted the yellow but it came in white. Prior to purchase I liked everything about it - V8, coil sprung, lowest factory low range on the market, no carpet, aluminum body etc. I had been driving a 40 series LC. So the stable consisted of 2 SWB 4x4s. Similiar to my G this was the first year of production for the NAS D90. I do not believe it was ready to ship. My first problem was with the fuel injection system could not be diagnoised so it was replaced, then they replaced the transmission, the air conditioner leaked puddles on the passenger footwell. I know AC in a defender but still puddles??? In the end the first year I owned it the dealer had it for 6 of the 12 months. Everything was under warranty but I was not sure what would go next. Of course this was before the internet or at least in its infancy so it did not getting the thrashing that the 2002-2203 G gets for warranty issues. It was a pleasure to take out wheeling. Lock it in low and point it. Better than the 40 series. For a weekend toy it would be hard to beat the defender. Top off, all the bugs worked out by now etc. I looked at one before I bought the G. 1994 white, black soft top. I don't know sentimental reasons maybe.

Back to the G. I like driving it. The field of view is great with a crisp throttle for moving through traffic. My wife tells me normal people my age do not work on repairing their vehicles. Just take it to the dealer and pick it up at the end of the day. This is my only real concern. MBUSA is pretty proud of their stufff and charge accordingly. I know there are vendors on the forum responding to that need but it is not a wide spread as with aftermarket for Toyota. My service record that came with teh vehicle the original owner indicated that he spent over 9K on maintanence probably acceptable for a 10yr old car. 1K/yr but I only have 42K on the odometer so 21 cents per mile. Yikes. Needless to say it will not be getting this kind of attention now. I will buy the parts and dive in.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
That's about dead on what I would have expected you to say. The Land Rovers are what first got me into this scene, but never did end up purchasing one because of exactly what you described.

I forgot to welcome you the proper way... Let's see some pictures!!

forty4fun

Observer
ChuckB
I started with a 1973 Series III Land Rover. Tan with the tropical top. It was simple to work on and could literally be rebuilt on the side of the road as I did at a small shop in Muddy Gap, WY. The rotor hand grenaded within the the distributor cap. I glued it back togetner with contact cement and wrapped it with jewerly wire let it cure by a wood stove and away I went. Drove it that way until the parts arrived from the one of the Rover vendors. It was slow but was well set up for what it was intended to do. I had a blast with it in Moab. I drove it all summer with the top off rain or shine. Don't let my experience disway you from looking at one. Memories of the Series III are what got me interested in the D90.

But this is the Gwagon forum so back to the regularly scheduled program. Pictures on the way.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Agree, would love to hear more of your impressions. I have TLC 80 series and will make a change to something else soon, most likely a G500. I was all set to go down the Defender path but have had a change of mind so I would love to hear your opinion of a G500 vs D90 as well.

ive owned a defender and have a 100 and a 95g320.

do you have a specific question?

jwlester

Observer
Just general impressions and war stories are great. When we need room for a 3rd car seat, the wife will probably get a very mildly built 100 (paint matched bumpers, lift, lockers?). I don't think I'll ever get Rovers out of my system, but have thought about adding an older G to the mix, maybe a diesel swap. My other automotive obsessions are all German in nature (BMW/Porsche) and I miss the "bank vault" feel in my 4x4s. I'm an engineer and love doing all my own work on German iron.

Anyway, thanks for the insight.

zimm

Expedition Leader
without a specific question, my impression is that you seem emotional about the truck, so you'll like it. enjoy!

jwlester

Observer
Wow, that died quick. Ok, zimm, how do you use each vehicle and what do you see as the strengths and weaknesses between the 100 and G (specifically the 'older' Gclass). I always assumed Mercedes quality on par with the W124s we have had, but have read quite a few complaints in the quality department recently. Admittedly, I have not actively researched much yet.

As for the 100, I expect something that I can maintain but not think about. Something my wife can drive and I don't have to watch after quick like I do our rover. I'm not expecting any emotional attachment to this vehicle, but thats the point. An instrument and nothing more I guess. I will admit emotional attachment to all the german iron I have had, as well as to my rovers. I guess I am hoping that the G will supply some of the character without the quality worries. Somewhere between a bland instrument and the irrational love of a Rover.

Thanks for lending your experience to a noob.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Wow, that died quick. Ok, zimm, how do you use each vehicle and what do you see as the strengths and weaknesses between the 100 and G (specifically the 'older' Gclass). I always assumed Mercedes quality on par with the W124s we have had, but have read quite a few complaints in the quality department recently. Admittedly, I have not actively researched much yet.

As for the 100, I expect something that I can maintain but not think about. Something my wife can drive and I don't have to watch after quick like I do our rover. I'm not expecting any emotional attachment to this vehicle, but thats the point. An instrument and nothing more I guess. I will admit emotional attachment to all the german iron I have had, as well as to my rovers. I guess I am hoping that the G will supply some of the character without the quality worries. Somewhere between a bland instrument and the irrational love of a Rover.

Thanks for lending your experience to a noob.

when it comes to the coach and chassis, the G is a tank. no doubt.

the drivetrain? i cant say its better than a toyota. it isnt. not that that isnt good company, mind you, if you compare cars designed 10-20 years ago. BUT the the difference is parts prices. having owned lexus's i mistakenly figured that $$ couldnt be any worse. i was wrong. wrong enough that i would hesitate to own a late model merc anything out of warranty.

i currently have the interior ripped out of the merc for some repairs, (you have to remove the ENTIRE dash to get to the AC fan) .... its basically a volkswagon in construction. not that i expected a wholesale difference in how a car interior is built, mind you, but i did think there would be a greater use of machine threaded fasteners and quality plastic. basically, its the same cheap thin plastic with a soft stick on layer for tactile "feel" with spring clips galore, AND ive discovered that the wiring is crapolla. ill get racial, after dealing with a passat years ago.... germans dont do electronics as well as as japanese. or americans... after having a few german rigs, and reading plenty on the internet.. the germans have cutting edge ideas, but the execution is always a beta test. while the internet is place for bitching and almost ever mark has had **** go wrong, you simply dont hear about a lexus having an electrical/computer issue.

the serviceability on any new car is just retarded, so thats tough to compare, but i can say that my lexus is easier to work on, and its newer.

what else...

theres the classic SFA vs independent front end... to this, i think most people are dreamers. unless you are rock crawling allot, the ride quality of the independent front end is soooo much nicer. i do light to moderate trails with my stuff all the time, and i'm just not feeling the love for a solid axle, when you gotta give so much comfort and control to get it. in a truck that is a DD also... forget the SFA. if you drive them back to back daily over the same exact bumps and dips, you will start to notice the shuddering and traction loss. reliability of the lexus independent front end vs a G solid axle? read 4x4abc website for that. large tires on G front axle will cause bearing failure, and having done mine, they are a mother****er compared to a toyota knuckle. i have yet to have an issue with my lx470 front end, and i dont recall there being an issue people ***** about. its very reliable.

to top it off, the flex on a G sucks. one would think a an SFA rig would have MORE ability to keep tires planted in washouts and such, but not the G. and mine is a 95 g320, not a later sportier (stiffer) version.

the G isnt easy to alter. bigger tires piss the computer off, and the narrow body make tire choices more limited. the lexus has big wheel wells, you can take out the rear cross member and install high clearance bumpers and sliders and youre pert near at G angles. (which is what im doing now)

so where does the G shine? stock it has a good angles, and is narrow. its box shape makes it easy to place. (although the turn radius is crappola). the stock lockers more than make up for a lack of flex. if you like a 1970's pickup truck seating position, its all you. upright and on top of the windshield.

it may sound like im bagging on it, and im not. you just have to look at what it IS and not what you think it is. what it IS, is a heavy built mill-spec truck. the chassis has to withstand the love and care all grunts express when they are stuck in some ****hole of a country for 18 months driving someone elses rig. then, you take that sledgehammer of a tool and glue in some leather, wood trim and a 500hp motor... and voila! you have a SUPER COOL frigging rig!!! is it better than a similar rig that was FIRST designed to be comfortable, and THEN given offroad abilities, like a 100??? **** no! likewise... will a 100 ever be truely useful as a tool for invading armies? **** no!

i just think its funny how people think they are "moving up". maybe they are, if cool is the thing, but really, an 80 will do all a g does and is cheaper to modify and maintain. i dont think you sacrifice much with a 100 and its such a great truck. ive grown to respect it more and more over the years. the G, i went into as being a cool boxy reliable version of my departed d110nas... and i was partially right. it not as cool, but close, and it is a much better design all around. parts a bit spendier than i had hoped.

for the wifie to drive and give you piece of mind.... i dont think you can go wrong with any reasonably used 100 varient. for a G... that depends on age and budget. its 110,000 dollar tuck, and knows it when it wants fixed. if one was for my wife, id error on newer is better. 05 and up maybe? that also depends upon the wifes attitude too. if shes the type to bring it up that you bought her a "vaunted" G, and she got stuck at a peoria merc dealer getting rammed with a 7000 dollar repair bill, stick to toyota. :) not that its ever saved anything, but i never get involved in a wifes vehicular opinion!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Being on my 2nd G (W463 now, was W460), and having never owned an '80/100(but have driven many Toy's of other people's), I love my G. Yeah, parts are more expensive(it's a lower volume truck, plus MBUSA seems a bit greedy), but it's a mil-spec truck for the civilian which means that the underpinnings are difficult to over-drive. One of my best friends just got an 80 and it's very comfortable, but the lack of power vs the G is apparent. The G is a heavy truck, but it goes very well when you need to lay into the throttle.

Oh yeah, and the best part of a G? You can get black interior, not gray or tan like the Toy's. :ylsmoke:

jwlester

Observer
Great responses. Thanks you gentlemen.

The 100 would be for my wife, if she decides that is the right 3row option for us (her). I'm pulling for it on the reliability front if nothing else. An older G would just be another toy for me to work on.

Great info and insight. Thanks again.

R, Josh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles