86' F150 Build

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
285/75 16 should be the hot ticket for that truck. Good tire size for all around performance.

bftank

Explorer
trimming the fenders i am sure you could fit a 35" tire in there, but is it really necessary. i like the tall skinny tires for expo use camping hauling etc.

you might consider finding a 16" wheel and going to an e rated tire if you are running around loaded a lot. it will make the truck handle better.

as far as lifting a ttb truck do a lot of research as you are opening a bag of worms depending on how particular you are about the handling of the rig. the major expense over 2" is the steering.

for suspension ideas check out "the ranger station" tech library, and dezert rangers. rangers and f150 had similar suspensions.

how is your suspension up travel?

hobobrando

Thats a lot to ponder. My original plan was to try and do things as budget minded as possible, but then again I would rather spend a little extra and not regret the sacrifice in performance had I cheaped out. Im thinking I will go with some 16's and try some retreads from treadwright to save a little cash.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I had a 4.9 in my 93 it was a great engine. "hated the mazda 5 speed"
Don't lift the truck! I had a 6" Super lift kit and changed upper and lower ball joints every two years.
Liked the two tanks 56 gallons is nice to have. I always had a reserve.

Tires: tall and thin 16" rims 16 x 7 and 235-85-16 tires.
Keep an eye on Craigslist and recycle yards for a cap. They are out there and cheap.
good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

hobobrando

I decided to scrap the idea of putting a cap on the truck and building a storage system for now. As of right now I need the bed usable for work and that limits what I do to it. I'm going to get a set of tool boxes to keep my gear dry and continue to tent it for now. Besides, after seeing Dogcatchers truck I like the look of just a box.

BCHauler

Adventurer
An upgrade that I found useful was one I did on my old 94 f150. I believe it would work on your gen truck as well. I replaced the rear fuel tank with a tank from a bronco. The spare no longer fit underneath but the rear tank went from 18 to 32 gallons. Between the 16 gallon front tank and the 32 in the rear, I had a highway cruising range of 1100km at 14mpg. Also, I replaced the front coils with coils from a similar year 2wd f350. Lifted the front almost 2" and imho improved the ride as well. All of these can be done with junkyard parts.

hobobrando

Haven't had a chance to do any work on my truck lately as I have been helping a friend with a Cj7 build, but I did pick up this little beauty to accompany me on my trips. The full size 9mm. I had been carrying as a truck gun was bulky and underpowered so I decided a snub-nose 357mag would do the trick.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I "carry" a stainless Marlin 45-70 guides gun as a "truck gun". It also is bulky, but not really under powered!:REOutShootinghunter

hobobrando

I had some parts lying around from my 79' so I decided to put them in the 86' out of boredom.

Out with the old in with the new.

DGarman

What could go wrong?
I'm not sure on your truck, but I had a '95 F-150 that I ran 32-11.50-15s at stock height. I'm figuring they'd be about the same.

Dennis

Bodie73

I had an 81 short bed with a 302 and a C6, best truck I ever owned. Unfortunately I couldnt fit my kids and wife in a regular cab and had to sell. I ran 2" Daystar spring spacers in the front and add a leafs in the rear and a 2" body lift and cleared 35's no problem. Before I did the spacers and leafs, I had only the 2" body lift and ran 33's with ease. Stock height 32's will fit as well however you may run into issues with the tires rubbing on the trailing arms but its not a big deal. I had a slipper in the front diff and a Detroit Locker in the rear and that truck went places never intended for a full size truck to go. Great trucks, great pick..

hobobrando

Came across a fiberglass cap entangled in some weeds, the owner let me have it for free! It has one crack I need to fix, rear window needs to go back in, and it could use a rattle can treatment. But hell I wasn't going to argue free.

When I found it.
562771_2517152187158_318482834_n.jpg

On the truck
563556_2517154227209_1803853428_1472136_1280938739_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online