86' F150 Build

hobobrando

So, my mother apparently listens to my constant rambling on about trucks because today she surprised me with an early graduation gift. A set of 33x10.5x15 BFG All Terrains, she even ordered the right size :) .

539786_2526996433258_1803853428_1478279_1191314302_n.jpg

hobobrando

I have an issue with the new 33's rubbing my radius arms on tight turns and really don't want to destroy the tires due to it. I have gotten used to driving it on the street without cranking the steering wheel, but I am worried when I get off road in some tight wooded trail that I will have no choice but make them rub. Does anyone know if it is possible to run extended radius arms often supplied with lift kits in a stock ride height truck, I don't want to lift the truck as I like how it handles and sits now, I just want the offset radius arms. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks.

DGarman

What could go wrong?
I have an issue with the new 33's rubbing my radius arms on tight turns and really don't want to destroy the tires due to it. I have gotten used to driving it on the street without cranking the steering wheel, but I am worried when I get off road in some tight wooded trail that I will have no choice but make them rub. Does anyone know if it is possible to run extended radius arms often supplied with lift kits in a stock ride height truck, I don't want to lift the truck as I like how it handles and sits now, I just want the offset radius arms. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks.

Hobobrando-
Most of the extended radius arms are built to give you stock caster at an increased ride height. If you run the extended arms at stock ride height, you'll probably end up with way too much caster and it won't drive very well.

Dennis

Rot Box

Explorer
I love the look of the new tires and I like that you pot them on the stock steel wheels. I don't know what it is about the factory steelies, but they are the best looking setup on these old Fords imo :coffeedrink:

dirty Bakers

Conservative
Sweet pickup. My favorite body style also. I am not sure what to do about the rubbing. It could be only slightly touching. So maybe a little lock to lock adjustment.

hobobrando

Dennis, Thanks for the info on the radius arms, I will avoid the lengthened ones for now. I don't see risking drive-ability for a little extra tire clearance. I am going to check with my uncle though who owns a fab shop and see if a set of stock length but offset radius arms is something he can build.

Rot Box, I too feel that stock steelies look way better on these older trucks, the night I bought it the guy came out of his a garage with some polished up chrome pieces that looked like they belonged on a Chrysler 300C and seemed to be a little insulted when I laughed in his face, he just couldn't understand why I didn't want to put them on the truck.

Bakers, Any chance you can give me a little more info on the lock to lock adjustment? How its done and what it would effect? This might be possible, and seems like it would be the most cost effective way of fixing the problem.

Thanks, Brandon.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I dont think the ttb truck have adjustable steering stops. How bad do they rub I never have owned a set of stock ford wheels. You may be able to pick up a 1/4" spacer form a local parts store tand space the wheel out

BCHauler

Adventurer
I know you like the look of the stock steels, but the solution to the rubbing problem is likely using a wheel with less backspacing. 5x5.5 is pretty common and was used on many different vehicles. I would check and see if any of those used less backspacing (1/2 ton dodge, samurai, etc).

Wyowanderer

Explorer
Buliwyf, Any idea what the max tire size I could go with is without lifting? The more research I have done on the TTB setups, I too would like to avoid lifting it. Thanks.

The reason I'm partial to the 4.9's is because I had one in an 87' that I just could not kill no matter what I put that truck through, and the 4.9's seem to have a lot more torque on the low end. But then again I do have a spare 5.0 sitting at my girlfriends house that I could rebuild... Oh the decisions haha.
If I HAD to swap, I'd go with the 4.9, but the better choice for power is a 5.8, and it's a pretty easy swap. I doubt I'd waste money or time swapping in another 5.0 unless I had one, as you do.
I have a 4.9 in my 84 and it works very well for me, gets 15 mpg on the highway/12 city/offroad.

Before you start on the leveling springs, make sure the front end is tight. Ball joints, TTB bushings, and radius arm bushings need to be up to snuff in order to have it aligned and stay that way.

A second battery is fairly easy to add, since the truck had the option of a diesel engine. Look at the wrecking yards for a 80-86 with a diesel, and it'll have the dual battery holder assembly on the driver's side. LMK if you can't find one, and I'll look locally for you.

Don't listen to anyone tell you that you need to swap out the twin traction beam for a solid axle. It's a hell of a lot of work, and unnecessary except for the most extreme lift. If you keep good ball joints and bushings in the TTB, it'll serve you very well, even with a modest lift.

Does your truck have a 4 barrel carb?

Wyowanderer

Explorer
I dont think the ttb truck have adjustable steering stops. How bad do they rub I never have owned a set of stock ford wheels. You may be able to pick up a 1/4" spacer form a local parts store tand space the wheel out

You're right on the money. The 3/4 and 1 ton models have them, the 1/2 ton models don't.
EDIT: I come hat in hand to admit I'm wrong. After doing replacing my ball joints two days ago, I can tell y'all that the D44 TTB DOES have adjustable steering stops, They just don't offer much more adjustment, unless you remove the bolts altogether. Pardon my ignorance, please.
Wheel spacers or wheels with a different backset won't likely help much, but they might be worth a try. Before you buy, jack up the truck by the axle and crank the wheels all the way: looking at how much clearance you need and can gain will help you greatly in deciding if spacers will work.

Last edited:

MrFlippers

Long Live The Bullnose!!

You're lucky, you got a fuel injected 5.0 bullnose, makes me jealous. Easily the best ford dash imo. Ttb isn't so bad once you get the hang of it, if you do any wash running or lots of snow it handles better imo.

I'm on my second bullnose, heres mine
20120327_141623.jpg

Heres why I get no miles per gallon
20120327_141747.jpg

And heres why I like driving it
20120327_141702.jpg

Even if they are way messed up they still look awesome, heres what got me started on them, its still in the 4wd family
2011-06-29_13-12-23_293.jpg

2011-02-25_17-53-29_398.jpg

Congrats on your truck, have fun with it.

Jimmy Watson

very cool choice for a fixer=upper. ive got a 2005 FX4 im ready to jack it up and deck it out as an adventure travel truck. where is your first trip going to be?

james727

I love my 88 Dodge W-100. I can fix it if breaks, and it's just reliable. Older trucks just flat out work. They don't get great mileage, but no car payment, and easy to work on costing no labor fees makes up for it in my opinion. Good luck with the build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne