What 80 series Mods and PM do you have planned next?

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
I'm always interested in hearing what Mods and PM other 80 owners have lined up next. I don't believe that you could ever be complete with either... I'm pretty sure it's a life long addiction with no cure :sombrero:. I'll start with what I have tentatively planned for this year.

Mods: Slee 3* CC bushings, IBS Dual Battery System, Uniden 520, Hood Blackout, and my big ticket for the year will either be Slee SliderSteps or Outback Drawer System.

PM: Starter, Alternator, Power Steering Pump and Lines, Tie Rods, Fuel Injector Cleaning, Brake and Power Steering System Flush, and Alignment.

The following year I'm thinking Fridge, Ham, and Axle rebuilds. :)

RiverCityDave

красный октябрь
PM wise, Im looking at a Headgasket (203350 miles,not too bad) and an across the board tune (plugs, wires, cap, filters,) at the same time. I heard some clicking from a tight right turn a few times, so BIRFS are probably looming...

Mods - Im looking at finally doing the lift, a hot water on demand gig, my hood is going to hell fast, so Im going to ryno line her this summer, and I desperately want a rear bumper to get my spare out, and a bike rack on.

not too much else is calling my name...

For PM I'm looking at a slow oil leak that needs to be located & corrected, as well as a general tuneup, and routine change of some of the fluids like oil, coolant, & auto transmission. Also I got a Groupon deal to get a full detail with claybar, wax, etc. which will give me a good baseline for keeping her clean. Tires are ready to be rotated & balanced as well. Also l would like to address the tear in the leather of the driver's seat base, so the thread on local upholstery places in another thread has been helpful there.

Also a new "bug" has popped up, where my hood wants to pop open! It's hard to get it to latch fully to prevent that. The second catch stops it, and getting it fully closed in the first place seems to prevent it, but I need to see what's going on there and if there is any kind of adjustment I can do to get it back to working properly. It may be the second battery tray that's making it hard for the hood to close easily.

Mods... Mods mods mods...

- There's the cut-down exhaust tailpipe that I will probably have extended and re-routed so it doesn't burn a hole in the replacement mudflap!
- A Hannibal awning is on my wish list when I can budget it.
- I'd like to do the center diff & pin 7 mod, when I can find a factory switch that doesn't cost 10x what it should.
- Now that I've seen it, I want to install the Wagon Gear tailgate mod.
- A freezer/fridge is probably my next big purchase. I'm waiting on checking out Overland Gourmet's ARB & Engel models at Desert Rendezvous.
- I should install the speedo correction gear I got from Slee.

On a related item, I want to complete my camp kitchen setup. I need to find a storage box, dishes, etc. that I like that won't cost a fortune or weigh a ton. I was hoping for the Bundu Box with dishes, cups, etc. but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Of course by the time all of that is done there will be a new list, lol. But most of the major items are done except the awning and freezer/fridge, unless I opt for a RTT of some kind in the future.

rain76king

Adventurer
Just had my 1fzfe broken down and had the headgasket and all other gaskets and seals replaced.
All new belts and most of the hoses replaced, blue hub upgraded fan clutch along with Heavy Duty rear lower control arms. All work performed by LandTank.
It's in the shop now getting some rust issues dealt with and bedlined Tan with Al's liner. When it gets out it's back to LandTank's for a regear.
New Iron man springs to replace the tired J springs.
Supercharger possibly in the near future.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Mods: 4.88 gears, ARB rear air locker (these mods are happening now)

PM: New O2's, new speedo cable, fix driver's side window (quits going up about halfway up), drain/fill diffs, t-case and transmission

Future mods: Sears Die-Hard battery (biggest one I can fit), 12V outlet in rear to power fridge

Our 80 is sitting virtually stock so this month is looking to be a little busy,

Mods for the month of March: Front ARB winch bumper, OME 3" lift with correction brackets, 33" Toyo Tires, paint flairs, handles, mirrors and oem wheels, 4.88 gears, install a solid mast antenna, a new radio, center diff switch,

PM for March: As that the engine is already out and on its way back from the rebuilders thats number one then new water/heater hoses, plug wires, plugs, thermostat, cap/rotor, trans filter, fuel filter, oil/filter, vacuum lines, air filter, belts and passenger side seat motor.

94SRUNNER

Adventurer
Mods: OME stock level lift (Springs; 861/862, Shocks: NitroCharger Sports)

PM: Front axle rebuild, rear axle bearing re-pack, roof rack delete, re-finish 17" FJ Cruiser Steelies, install new heavy duty battery cable set, fuel and tank filter sock replace

constructeur

Adventurer
mods:

1. Slee headlight wiring kit. Not epic, but something I'm looking forward to.

2. buying a whitewater raft to do more of this in the spring/summer/fall with the family:
Drysidesteel.jpg

PM:

1. brake work

2. valve job

3. new suspension

4. whatever it takes to keep her running smooth for the family unit...

subytoy

Observer
Mods: roof rack, 12v outlet in rear
PM: already did front axle service last month
Wish list: 4:56 gears, rear air locker, dual batteries, winch, exhaust system

Sempertoy

Explorer
I'm always interested in hearing what Mods and PM other 80 owners have lined up next. I don't believe that you could ever be complete with either... I'm pretty sure it's a life long addiction with no cure :sombrero:. I'll start with what I have tentatively planned for this year.

Mods: Slee 3* CC bushings, IBS Dual Battery System, Uniden 520, Hood Blackout, and my big ticket for the year will either be Slee SliderSteps or Outback Drawer System.

PM: Starter, Alternator, Power Steering Pump and Lines, Tie Rods, Fuel Injector Cleaning, Brake and Power Steering System Flush, and Alignment.

The following year I'm thinking Fridge, Ham, and Axle rebuilds. :)

Hey I'm sure you know, but metaltech sliders are 20% off right now! It would be a great time to order some.

2 E L O

Adventurer
PM:

-Fix the peckerheaded P0401 that I can't get to go away. So far I've done the following:
1.) All vacuum ports/lines appear to be clear. I did have to clear a couple blockages.
2.) Mostly all new vacuum lines for the EGR system.
3.) All vacuum lines appear to be installed correctly.
4.) New VSV for EGR.
5.) New vacuum modulator.
6.) Cleaned EGR temp sensor. It wasn't very dirty at all.
7.) Tested EGR valve with suction method at idle/running temp and it would stall the motor, so that should mean that the valve is working properly and the passage from the EGR valve through the upper intake plenum is clear, right?

-New birfs, front rotors, pads, and probably either new or rebuilt calipers...

-New battery

-Jegs oil catch can in PCV line (maybe a mod?)

Mods:

-Paint or line the ugly beige cladding on my white LX. Right now I'm leaning towards the Rustoleum textured metallic charcoal colored paint.

-Land Cruiser grille, Depo headlight housings...stock housings have poor output and the PS is in rough shape.

-Rear backup LEDs

Not spending a ton on mods for the next few months...getting married in July!

surfponto

Observer
Mod in progress is to modify my Kaymar single can carrier and make it a dual can carrier
Stay tuned for finished product :)

Hacking the original single Kaymar Can Carrier in half

Two Scepter 20 Liter Fuel Cans fit perfectly

Last edited:

surfponto

Observer
Kaymar Can Carrier Modification completed

ground off the rough metal and painted flat black

With two diesel NATO Cans

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads