Which RTT should I choose?

ccfdcal

Observer
Ok so I have my eye on two RTT's. I mainly chose them based on my budget, needs, and frequency of use. I'm looking at Cascadia Mt. Hood and the Tepui Gran Sabana. The Cascadia is cheaper even with the $300 delivery fee. I believe it is better fabric too. The Tepui is more expensive. I could pick it up rather than have it delivered, it would be a day trip and cost a little in gas. The Tepui does come with an annex, however I wouldn't be able to use it right away, because I will be putting this on my trailer and it doesn't telescope up, yet. I'm just wondering if anyone on this forum would have some input as to which direction to go and why. Let me also say that if you have an EZEE Awn or ARB or some other tent, I'm happy for you, but these two are in my price range and I realize that I get what I pay for and blah blah blah. I'm just looking for direction on these two particular companies and tents. Thanks in advance.

Wavebreaker

Adventurer
I'm a little biased but i have a cascadia and am quite happy with it. works well fabric stitching and zippers etc seem well attached. I have the Shasta version. I believe he is now using a heavier fabric as well. Mounting was easy.
Comfortable to sleep in. Easy setup and take down. For the price its a good unit.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
What about the Tepui Autana? I'm torn between the Autana and the Kukenam. Almost a $500 price jump and it's only me the wife and a little one. Not sure that I need the space for the price jump. Good point about the extra room, I've been considering that also (needing telescoping rack).

There are quite a few good review of the Tepui tent in the camping section.

General Automag

Adventurer
Ok so I have my eye on two RTT's. I mainly chose them based on my budget, needs, and frequency of use. I'm looking at Cascadia Mt. Hood and the Tepui Gran Sabana. The Cascadia is cheaper even with the $300 delivery fee. I believe it is better fabric too. The Tepui is more expensive. I could pick it up rather than have it delivered, it would be a day trip and cost a little in gas. The Tepui does come with an annex, however I wouldn't be able to use it right away, because I will be putting this on my trailer and it doesn't telescope up, yet. I'm just wondering if anyone on this forum would have some input as to which direction to go and why. Let me also say that if you have an EZEE Awn or ARB or some other tent, I'm happy for you, but these two are in my price range and I realize that I get what I pay for and blah blah blah. I'm just looking for direction on these two particular companies and tents. Thanks in advance.

Several buddies and I recently purchased RTTs from IronMan4x4 (www.ironman4x4.com or www.camel4x4.com) and give them excellent reviews. Our tents have the same dimensions of the ARB and Cascadia models, but they come with more for less money. The Ironman4x4 RTT includes an annex room which has a zip out floor, and their awning is awesome too. The IronMan tents were several hundred dollars cheaper than the other brands we looked at. There are plenty of videos and field tests on YouTube on these roof top tents.

Shipping charges may or may not help. IronMan4x4's north America distribution center is in New Jersey. Let us know what you decide to buy.

java

Expedition Leader
I have a cascadia and am happy with it. I believe he is including the changing room now also.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I was working with Mombasa a couple of years ago, and was told that pretty much all the tents are made by the same manufacturer if made in China. I am not familiar with the tents you have listed, but I know that Roof Top Tents, Camping Lab, ARB and others are all made in the same factory. I have had the ARB and the Roof Top Tent, both were great tents and worked flawlessly. Even though the ARB was more expensive, it was the same design, as the camping lab and rooftop tent. But seemed to have better material. Not a tent expert. But I would look at the two I mentioned as they are considerably more reasonably priced than the ARB.

I was very happy with the lower level tents, but honestly did not spend as much time in them as some do.

The Chinese made tents are for all intents and purposes the same, with some insignificant differences. Make your decision based on customer service and/or price.

If the price difference is small then I'd consider their customer service, you may need their help replacing a cover or some other item in the future...

ccfdcal

Observer
I decided on the cascadia tent. Even though I have been playing a little phone tag with Bobby (my fault) his customer service has been great so far. I'm getting the Mt. Hood 6x8 version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz