My Trailer Build Thread

AaronK

Explorer
Hey guys. Been reading some great stuff on here and I'm now on my way to building my own trailer.

So I was waiting and browsing Craigslist daily waiting for a good base frame to use. Found this. Went up and bought it the next day.

Trailer1.jpg

AaronK

Explorer
So I wasn't happy with the strength of the frame that I had bought. So I bought steel and am building it ground up.

2x2" .188" wall
420669_10150732030674560_560884559_9033729_476961337_n.jpg

Got it tack welded up tonight.

Frame Tacked.jpg

Basically I'm gonna use some parts from the trailer I bought, including the title ;) but I'm ground up building most of it.

Dirtytires

Explorer
Aaron glad to see you started a thread for your build. Welcome to the Forum .
Now I can't bug you on FB about it..

Craig

AaronK

Explorer
Thanks Craig! I feel almost official now.

The titling process in WA for a home built trailer is a bit of a hassle. Buying a trailer like I did is way easier. I'll use some parts from it to make it more legit ;)

One of my soon coming decisions to make is shocks or no shocks. The concept of shocks on a trailer is a pretty new one to me. I've not seen it before browsing expedition trailers. Now that I have been, I've seen a lot of trailers that have them and a lot that don't. How big of an advantage will I have by installing shocks on mine?

tclaremont

Observer
Hard to say without knowing your plans and the terrain. The springs do the real work, and the shocks control rate of rebound and act as a dampener. So they dont eliminate bounce, but rather control how the trailer reacts to that bounce. If I were in your shoes I would build in the design for the allowance of shocks, but not bother installing them until you get to the point where you can pull it around and see how it behaves. That is my take, anyway.

Dirtytires

Explorer
I think shock are a good thought. If yuo are going off the beating path as you often do. I would go ahead
and install a set. Your truck has a higher stance than most stock trucks, I would take that into consideration
as well. As TC said I also think it is a nessessity.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Shocks > No shocks.

My last trailer was a factory made frame kit with a 2000# ish axle. It had leafs, but no shocks...handled OK loaded, and was all over the road when lightly loaded or empty. When I say all over the road, I mean when hitting bumps it was. I think I got it nearly airborne a few times!! It was a utility trailer and honestly was not made for offroad at all, so it never went there.

My new trailer is a CDN M101 with shocks. Empty it floats along behind the XJ, bumps, lumps no problem. Even at highway speeds hitting a divot or pothole and it tracks like a dream. I will not own a trailer without shocks again, but do agree it is a personal use and preference thing. I also like that the OEM shocks for my trailer were speced by the CDN military and are readily available from NAPA ($25.00 each).

Kool start to your build, looking forward to watching another new trailer build!!
Greg

AaronK

Explorer
Okay. Not much more money so I might as well just do shocks. The place I'm looking to buy an axle doesn't have an option for shock mounts. Do they come with mounts or is it something I'm going to have to add on my own?
Sorry for all the noob questions. Many more to come I'm sure.

tclaremont

Observer
Running a shock would likely change the plate that the u-bots go through, not the axle itself. Of course, you will need a mount on the trailer frame, to.

Dirtytires

Explorer
Okay. Not much more money so I might as well just do shocks. The place I'm looking to buy an axle doesn't have an option for shock mounts. Do they come with mounts or is it something I'm going to have to add on my own?
Sorry for all the noob questions. Many more to come I'm sure.

You will need to make a pair of mounts for the Shocks. FInd a pair off a junkyard S10.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles