spare tire bumper swing away for FS trucks

NothingClever

Explorer
I called Shrockworks this afternoon to see if they would fab in aluminum. Nope to domestic trucks and nope to aluminum. Asked for a recommendation for full-size pickups and they pointed to Buckstop. Called Buckstop...nope and also nope to swing-aways. Too busy with their existing product line up to sit down at the drawing table to develop a swing-away. He sounded like they're essentially recession proof. Good stuff but a bummer that I might have to drive all the way out to southern California to give blood to Aluminess.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
CBI (Can't Break It) in Idaho will make you one. I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with him about a rear swing out for my Super Duty. I didn't ask about aluminum though.

rube bonet

Adventurer
I 've custom built quite a few swing aways for full size trucks....

DSC00280.jpg

DSC00293.jpg

P10100235.jpg

2kSubTireCarrier12.jpg

And one with all the bells and whistles...telescoping camp light, fold down table, westfalia propane tank with stove and grill connectors, bottle opener, back up camera,etc, LOL

P10100019.jpg

P101001325.jpg

If you guys want any info on sourcing the parts to build your own let me know. I have tried alot of different methods over the years, and some ways just plain work better than others.

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
Anymore pics of the one on the dodge? That one is sick!! And is the one with the table on a yota?

If I remember right, that guy with the 03 double cab is on here.....can't think of his name, but the truck looks familiar.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
If I remember right, that guy with the 03 double cab is on here.....can't think of his name, but the truck looks familiar.

That's Scott Brady's old taco, sold to Trail Monkey (Who had Rob redo the bumper) then Mhiscox and finally onto it's fourth forum owner.

Erik N

Adventurer
I seriously considered something like the above solutions. The problem I see with a swing away carrier, though, is using it if the truck is anything but level. Either it will fall away downhill and possibly bend or break something, or it will want to swing back in and kill you.

I finally just aired up my spare to the max and put it on the roof. With durable tires, I probably will never need it anyway. I built an "X" shaped rack from pipe, put pipe insulation on where it contacts the roof, and U-bolted it to the factory rack. Then used tie-downs to hold the tire there. Not particularly "trick", but the problem is solved!
IMG_4026.jpg

rube bonet

Adventurer
That's Scott Brady's old taco, sold to Trail Monkey (Who had Rob redo the bumper) then Mhiscox and finally onto it's fourth forum owner.

Yep.

And here are a few more pics of the one on my old dodge, now in Germany after a swing thru S America; it is now owned by roboter on this board...

DSC00290.jpg

DSC00289.jpg

DSC00291.jpg

rube bonet

Adventurer
I seriously considered something like the above solutions. The problem I see with a swing away carrier, though, is using it if the truck is anything but level. Either it will fall away downhill and possibly bend or break something, or it will want to swing back in and kill you.

I finally just aired up my spare to the max and put it on the roof. With durable tires, I probably will never need it anyway. I built an "X" shaped rack from pipe, put pipe insulation on where it contacts the roof, and U-bolted it to the factory rack. Then used tie-downs to hold the tire there. Not particularly "trick", but the problem is solved!
View attachment 120031

All of the carriers I build have stops to prevent them from opening up to far, and multi position pin holes to lock them open on uneven ground. The way I see it, there are advantages and disadvantages to both routes, this was a previous toyota I had set up with a roof rack, spares and fuel on top (a 24 gallon aux tank was where the spare would normally be).

P1210028.jpg

I like the access to my stuff (cooler!), and no swingaway made that much easier in the little toyota. The roof rack and gear, however,made a huge difference in fuel economy and noise at highway speeds. Also, the change in COG was very noticeable. Also, getting the spare down is no problem, but putting destroyed, muddy tires with wire sticking out BACK onto the roof rack was no fun. In the dodge, with 37's and its overall height, that would have been a real PIA.

On the dodge, there was a lot more room in the cab for the essentials (cooler!), and it saw quite a bit of "tow rig" use, the swing away made a lot more sense.

Also, if you can let me know where to buy these durable tires that never fail, let me know. I've never seen such a thing...:ylsmoke:

NothingClever

Explorer
DSC00290.jpg

I think the feeling I have right now is the same one my wife has when she sees a Dooney & Burke purses that matches her new shoes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior