spare tire bumper swing away for FS trucks

bloodyWEST

Adventurer
sorry to revive an old thread, but the search function is gold.

I'm preparing to build a swing-out tire carrier for my full size 97 ram. I'm looking forward to the design/layout part of it, and its accompanying creativity.

i need advice from people who have built/used multiple styles of hinges and latches. i am not going to use a single pivot, i want a high hinge and a low hinge(will make me feel better/more secure)

my first though was 2" poly bushings, like control arm burnings, but i assume they are too soft.
now i have my eyes on some barrel hinges like this http://www.hardwaresource.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3693

what is the best pin/retention style? thinking just a T pin, i see alot of people use the u-bolt/cam lock deals. is that a much better way?

i am imagining a piece of 1/4" plate bolted to the top of the bumper(through the factory bumper bracket holes) with a piece of 2x2 welded to that vertically, another piece of plate tying into the stake pocket. (plate would allow my camper shell to still fit)

the rack would hinge off that 2x2

sorry for the crude description
tailgate.jpg

the pivot would block my tail light, i would have to incorporate a new one into the rack. i want it to be way to the right, so it can clear my pop up camper.
if i set the tire to the right far enough, i will be able to open the door on my skamper with out opening the tire rack

Last edited:

kd0hzi

Hello. Do you still happen to have the designs for the last spare tire swing in the pictures, the one with "all the bells and whistles"? I have an '04 Ram 2500 4x4 that I would like to build something like that for. Looks like a really nice design and incorporates everything that I'm looking for.

Thank you for any and all help you can offer.
Mike Jones.

I 've custom built quite a few swing aways for full size trucks....

DSC00280.jpg

DSC00293.jpg

P10100235.jpg

2kSubTireCarrier12.jpg

And one with all the bells and whistles...telescoping camp light, fold down table, westfalia propane tank with stove and grill connectors, bottle opener, back up camera,etc, LOL

P10100019.jpg

P101001325.jpg

If you guys want any info on sourcing the parts to build your own let me know. I have tried alot of different methods over the years, and some ways just plain work better than others.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Has anyone used a Multi Carrier from Tactical Armor Group?

See my post #12, TAG is the old Kennesaw Mountain Accessories. They have a photo of my truck in the TAG website menu. I had to do a lot of cleanup work on mine but was overall pleased with the product. That said, I think my experience with them was the exception, not the rule, seems there are many unhappy customers out there. Do research on your vendors before shopping. Usually search by "Vendor Name + problems" or Vendor Name + Customer Service" or "Vendor Name + reviews".

rube bonet

Adventurer
Hello. Do you still happen to have the designs for the last spare tire swing in the pictures, the one with "all the bells and whistles"? I have an '04 Ram 2500 4x4 that I would like to build something like that for. Looks like a really nice design and incorporates everything that I'm looking for.

Mike Jones.

Yes. My custom bumpers can be built any way you prefer.

Bojak

Adventurer

Mike Jones.
I would buy one from you if you would build another. That is best ive seen yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94