A new twist on bed mounted RTT's

pray4surf

Explorer
Practice A LOT. Flux-core welding suck IMHO. It's not very clean and much harder to get a nice bead than a gas unit. You try a gas rig and you'll never touch a flux-core setup again.

Practice with your scrap and if the welds are coming out looking like crap without good penitration, let me know and you can come by and use my rig. :)

DEAL!!!

I know you'll be busy getting ready for 2013DR, which is next weekend - So, if necessary I'll hit you up after that...

ExpoMike

Tomorrow afternoon should be open. PM me your number and I'll give ya a call early afternoon. May be available on Sunday, if we don't take the pup up to the snow. :)

scramfan01

Adventurer
I'm looking forward to seeing the final project. I was just trying to get some ideas for mounting my RTT over the bed of my Jeep CJ8 (Scrambler), and I came across your plan. It won't work for me, but I think it's a brilliant plan.

pray4surf

Explorer
Well, the bulk of the individual parts are in the hands of a skilled welder. I'm hoping to have the assembled parts back this weekend, so I can do the final fitment / location of the RTT and figure out the final length of the struts that actually provide the 'lift'. Then back to the welder for the final assembly.

Dropped the RTT out of the rafters yesterday and deployed it on top of a couple sawhorses. Still in fantastic condition - Surprised the batteries for the LED lights hadn't bled their guts out. Had been stored for nearly 2 years - Shame on me :(

Nothing like seeing it opened up to stir the longings for travel - even SWMBO is getting excited - LOL

Last edited:

pray4surf

Explorer
Couple of the rack, primered
Drivers side, looking toward rear
image.jpg
Passenger side, looking toward front
image.jpg

Last edited:

pray4surf

Explorer
Little hurdles occur as build progresses. The four struts attach to the RTT frame/attachment points. As seen here at top of picture,

image.jpg

This connection needs to pivot, and needs as little slop as possible. Because the fasteners are 5/16" dia bolts (grade 8) and the inner dia of the 1" tube is approx 3/4", I had to come up with a solution to keep the bolts centered within the tube.

My solution

image.jpg

Some 3/4" OD tubing and 1/4" flat washers whose combined length is fractionally greater than the 1-1/2" length of the 1" tube. Resulting in secure connection that allows the strut to pivot freely around the mounting tabs.

image.jpg

These tabs are to be welded to two lengths of 1-1/2" x 1/8" steel angle, 4 tabs, 2 struts per length. Each length of steel angle is then bolted to the fixed base of the RTT. I finish doing away of the 'factory' aluminum RTT mounting channels and reinforce the RTT base using a 1" x .095 square tube. As shown in the first picture - specific locations TBD.

pray4surf

Explorer
It's been slow going.... Trying to think ahead, basically measuring twice and cutting once... Raising the RTT is going to be a bit more difficult than I imagined. Might have to go back to the plan to use a torsion spring, but I have another trick up my sleeve I'm going to try first. A bit more welding remains, and hope to drop the material off at the welder tomorrow night.

But I have figured out the strut height and the locations of the bearing carrier assys, so I was able to finish up the frame that will be bolted to the bottom of the RTT - This frame is goes to the welder tomorrow also.

Still mulling over stops so that the RTT/frame isn't resting on the rotating tubes.

Stay tuned...

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I like your idea. I have mine mounted on a frame that just gets strapped in the bed of my Tacoma. Its about an inch higher than the bedsides. I would like to build one that puts the top of the RTT at roof height or maybe level with the factory roofrack. That would also allow the use of a changing room too. I am thinking about maybe making some type of rails that would hold some storage bins/boxes and maybe even squeze some flat gear on top of those like the Port-A-Privy. I would also like to maybe have a canvas cover or something to keep most of the dirt and rain out. I know an upholesterer so that isn't a problem.

I spotted an ad for a contractor's topper on cragislist around here tonight. My hopes aren't high but if its right I am going that route instead. Being able to finish the inside of that would provide the extra room I will need in the future when the boy gets bigger.

Subscribed!

cwadej

just a guy
A friend and I had this idea a while back. Glad to see we're not the ony ones. Also glad to see your R&D in it. Something to learn buy for when we build his RTT setup.

tacr2man

Adventurer
How about using a couple of judiciously placed gas struts ( pressurized gas pusher springs) as used on rear lift up tailgates (should be about right size) ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior