1964 Nissan Patrol soft top restoration

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
More pictures....

main.php

main.php

main.php

The floor pans I imported from Colombia, S.A years ago. They have been mated to the stock seat frame.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

This is the first time I have seen the truck assembled in nearly 10yrs! The purpose of the assembly during this stage of the rebuild is to make sure everything aligns and is good to go before further body work is performed.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
New tires for the 64....

7.50x16 Michelin XZL's. Old school size and the largest put on 60-series Patrols. It measures 31" tall.

main.php

:cool:

Last edited:

ravscin

Ravscin
Good job.
Old Patty will be grateful for Your effort.
Here I know one G60 Patrol owner.
Will ask him to send some pics if You need any detail.

I will follow this tread for sure!!!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Decisions made by client....

Going forward with;

-Full trans & t-case rebuilds
-Full front and rear axle rebuilds
-steering box rebuild
-brake rebuild
-Full engine rebuild (already planned) but man we are going all out on it! Not only is my 10+yr parts stash going into the motor but so is the owners 20+yr parts stash!
-New rear floor made for the tub (bed). The stock 64 rear floor is just simply to beat up to be 100% straight. So body man is making a whole new rear floor to match the stock out of new steel.
-Full seat restoration to stock, minus horse hair stuffing!
-PTO box is to be fitted to transmission. TBD if stock (USA) PTO winch will be fitted, it is a Koenig instaled by dealers in the USA for Patrols.
-Mint NOS front bumper will be fitted. Very good stock original rear bumperettes will be fitted. Stock side steps will be fitted as well as a stock rear step.
-Full re-chrome and zinc coat on everything inside and out! To stock of course.
-New body mounts all around
-Chassis getting full spray for a third time in black.
-Brand new NOS clutch going in.
-Full sand blast and paint on many small items from seat frames to pedal assembly to heater. All to stock colors.
-Two soft top canvas will be made to match stock. We have a stock canvas that is NOS to use as a pattern. This part of the restoration is a major PITA but I am going to make it happen!

What is left and undecided at this time is.....

-gauges and restoration to them
-fuel tank and fuel line resto
-dash knob resto
-winch cage - stock is super crappy dealer installed angle iron mess. New and much better is being discussed.
-wiring
-steering rebuild, ie tie rods & drag link
-a few other small details!

I am super excited and happy the new owner of the truck has decided to move forward with a full frame off restoration. He was undecided until recently on many things. Not only is this truck super rare, very cool and very worthy of a full frame off it should hold it's value for the life of the vehicle. So many NOS parts that can no longer be had and have been in "stash" for many many years are being tossed at this truck it boggles the mind.

A short list of NOS parts goes like this...

-NOS rear soft top doors - not the same as h/t doors and beyond uber rare in NOS form.
-brand new NOS water protect distributor - good luck find one of these! Very rare outside N. America.
-NOS clutch assembly
-NOS main drive gear for t-case + all NOS seals and bearing for the t-case
-NOS front bumper - ya find one of these today!
-NOS 1st gear assembly for the transmission + various NOS parts for the trans.
-NOS and vintage optional WARN 1960's free wheeling hubs, sold by dealers and put on Patrols in the USA only.
-NOS water pump & oil pump + NOS fuel pump
-NOS windshield gasket, dash top to windshield gasket and NOS door seals - purely unobtanium!
-NOS turn signal assembly
-NOS full gasket kit for the engine
-A ton of various small parts from NOS oil pressure sending unit to brake light switch to fuel gauge to engine and trans mounts. Basically a collection of NOS parts that spans much more than one decade and thousands upon thousands of dollars!!

On top of all this going into the project are many unobtainium items in glass from such as front turn signals, rear tail lights, map light cover, perfect gauge cluster glass coversand so forth. We even have the early and correct and super hard to find rear reflectors. ALL of these items are super hard to find as you might imagine since they have not been made from glass since the 1960's and not been available in the USA since then as well.

The new owner also received a mint vintage owners manual for the truck along with a mint set of engine + truck/body manuals as well as a mint last version of the 60-series parts books, ie late 1980 LHD parts book from the Middle East. All these books are in perfect condition, are NOS Nissan and compliment the truck nicely, all but the parts book are specific to North America and in perfect condition.

I am sure some of you may be like...huh!? But I can assure you this restoration will unfold before your eyes here on the internet and it will give any Rover, TLC, Jeep, Bronco or other wise a HUGE run for the money! Hands down I doubt you will ever see something like this again.....not only the caliber of this restoration on a Patrol but simply an early 1960's soft top Patrol fully frame off restoration with no expense spared and a ton of NOS parts tossed at it!

I want to make it very clear, these trucks have not been sold in the USA/Canada since 1969! That is 43yrs since a Patrol has been sold in the USA and this 1964 Patrol is now 48yrs old! How is that for some spice to the Nissan section of the forum here on ExPo!?

:)

krazytoy

Adventurer
You could sell a ketchup popsickle to a lady wearing white gloves!

Guess your stuff is on the back burner now...

Furb

love restorations like this one. subscribed; looking forward to watching this Patrol come back to life

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Update time!!

Spent an afternoon in the body man's shop today. Rounded up most of the things to send off for re-chroming and zinc coating. Got all NINE stock 16" wheels rounded up and ready to de-mount, determine what are the five best and then it is sand blast time. We are going to use an FJ-40 Land Cruiser body mount kit and it looks like it will work nearly perfect. As you can see by the pictures, rear floor of the Patrol has been cut out and a new floor fabricated. Also as you can see it is yet to be installed but is looking very sweet to me. The stock fuel tank access door is yet to be cut but will be fitted to the new floor. This is what a nice sheet metal brake and the right dies can do for you! Wish I had his tools!!

Nearly ready to go on engine rebuild. Lacking only a starter, coil and Hitachi carb kit. I have everything else besides the core rebuild kit in OEM form!! It is really going to be stellar! I am talking OEM new water pump, new in the box water protect distributor, correct Hitachi carb with sight in bowl, OEM new glass fuel filter bowls, OEM head gasket, nearly a full OEM gasket kit, OEM rear main seal, OEM fuel pump and the list goes on and on! It is blowing my mind and if you know me that takes a lot with old Patrols!

Next on the list will be trans and t-case rebuilds. Parts are in route as I type for this. All except the synchro rings and hubs which truely are unobtainium!

In two weeks time I plan to have the chassis in my hands and be staring on fitting the new suspension, rebuilding axles, steering box rebuild and few other things. During this process I am also prepp'ing the chassis for it's final coat of black. As part of this I will be coating the inside of the frame with Rust Bullet.

We have spent most of this summer rounding up parts for rebuilds on most everything. Engine, trans, axles, brakes, body, ect ect. Soon not much won't be in hand for rebuilds on all the trucks main components.

Picture time. Nothing really new to see besides the rear floor but I think the truck is looking killer so I can help but post pictures of it! Lot's of love and attention to detail being put into the panels on the Patrol. Holes drilled in body welded up, imperfections pulled. The guy doing this is used to working on $50k+ muscle cars so he has a way of not letting little things slide. Any ways, enough blah'ing on....

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Cheers!

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I have nearly everything in hand to rebuild the motor besides the core rebuild kit. Just waiting on two last items, a starter and an original Hitachi carb rebuild kit. The core engine rebuild kit (pistons, rings, connecting rods) can be purchased in the USA and will be once the machine shop knows what size rings to use and so forth.

I have everything in hand to rebuild the transmission and & t-case besides a set of synchro rings which is soon to be in route from South America. I have had to pull out all my tricks to secure these along with the Hitachi carb kit. These are simply unobtainium unless you have contacts in the 4 corners of the world. ;)

A large amount of items are being put together for chrome plating and zinc plating. We will be using Salt Lake City Chrome Plating, I have spoken to them and am very happy so far with their service. All high wear parts are being zinc coated, stock chrome items are being re-chromed.

By the end of the weekend I may have the chassis at my place. Then it is time to install new suspension, rebuild front and rear axles, install rebuilt steering box and prep the chassis for the final coat of black. I will also be doing some brake work at this time.

Today I dropped all nice stock wheel at the tire shop to find out which five are the best. Once I get them back it will be time to sand blast them and get them ready for paint. The Michelin XZL's are screaming to be mounted up!

Over the next coulpe months this project is going to move forward in leaps and bounds, keep an eye on it! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste