1964 Nissan Patrol soft top restoration

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I visited the body guy today to get the 64's chassis back. The new rear floor is nearly 100% done and looks fantastic!

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

And the 64's chassis ready to get some love!

main.php

main.php

cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
So I went to work on the 64 chassis today.

I had set the Ute's motor/trans in the 64 chassis last summer since I don't want the Ute motor and it was part of the sale of this truck. To get to work I need it out of my way, so I pulled it first.

main.php

I then pulled the steering box since I also want that out of my way.

main.php

Notice the wear on the pitman arm, very typical on old Patrols from what I have seen over the years. I am hoping to find a replacement pitman arm.

main.php

main.php

Here is a better look at the junk leaf hangers that are going byebye

main.php

main.php

A few oval'ed out holes in the 64's chassis. Also very typical from what I have seen. These will get welded up and then re-drilled.

This is actually lower shock mount on rear axle.
main.php

and the front shock tower.
main.php

A few more shots of the chassis before I tore into it.

main.php

main.php

The battery box on the 64 is rotten like many old Patrols I have seen, so it has to go and a new shelf fabricated.

main.php

main.php

Rear axle out....

main.php

main.php

and the rear suspension cut out....plenty more work to do on it though.

main.php

main.php

and with the junk farmer leaf hangers cut off.
main.php

That is all I had time for today! :)

krazytoy

Adventurer
If you weld those holes up and try to drill through them get some damn good bits. Weld Is very, very hard. Looking good man, I need to come over the mountain and have a few cold ones. :beer:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
If you weld those holes up and try to drill through them get some damn good bits. Weld Is very, very hard. Looking good man, I need to come over the mountain and have a few cold ones. :beer:

I hear that! It is fairly thin though and only two holes I see need fixing. I got about a half dozen busted bolts in the bottom of the frame rail, that is going to be fun too!

Any time bro, anytime....beer is waiting for ya!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
*EDIT* 12-27-12: At this point in the rebuild the frame was free of everything and no longer a rolling chassis for the first time. It was at this point a lot of issues were found on the frame, flipping the frame over made them obvious! It was decided that the frame would be restored to the best of our ability and that any previous repairs that basically were not up to par would be re-done.

So got off work a bit early today and I tore into the 64 Patrol more.

Pulled front axle and suspension out. Moved Ute motor out of my way and out of the middle of the driveway. Flipped the frame over so the bottom is on top. Cut the junk leaf hangers off and ground it back with a flap disc. All in all a pretty productive afternoon!

I was very careful cutting off the junk leaf hangers and impressed myself! They came off fairly easy and clean. Bit of rust and scale under them but no rot. However, found some bad stuff when I flipped the frame over. Whomever cut off the stock leaf hangers did a super sloppy job of it with a torch. They gouged the frame in a number of spots. It isn't structurally weakened but it is damn ugly. So I will be patching up these areas and giving the frame a good once over to clean up any nasty spots before the new leaf hangers go on.

Here are pictures....

Front axle out of my way
main.php

Ute motor (spare) too...my dog supervising! ;)
main.php

frame flipped over and set up to work on.
main.php

needing repair
main.php

what was left of the hangers to cut off, you can see gouging from the torch by p/o when they cut off the stock leaf hangers and made their own.
main.php

main.php

more gouging, the front leaf hangers on the rear leaf springs is the worst.
main.php

main.php

coming off nice and clean
main.php

seriously sloppy torch work, bit of scale and rust under the hanger. No rot! These hangers were welded on top of the stock side step mounts. Luckily none of the gouging in the frame by sloppy torch work damaged the frame rails. Only the thinner cross members were damaged. This is what out back of the barn farmer fabrication looks like!
main.php

main.php

main.php

cleaned up with a flap disc.
main.php

the other side
main.php

and the back of the frame....
main.php

As mentioned, plan is patch pieces cut for those areas where the holes are from sloppy torch work. I will very carefully cut out these areas and make new patch pieces with the plasma cutter. Weld them in, clean up and then on to welding on the new leaf hangers!

Cheers

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
So I got out the replacement leaf hangers and set them on the frame, mostly just for a visual. This is just about where they are going to end up though. As per the Nissan Service manual the spread on the leaf hangers from eye to eye is 1252mm or 49.3". So this is roughly where they will end up being welded to the frame.

We got the front leaf hangers (front for rear axle) from About Times Spares in Australia, it is NOS.

main.php

main.php

main.php

The rear is from RuffStuff and is their "way back" shackle hanger. It is very close to stock but uses a poly bushing rather then the steel Nissan used.

main.php

main.php

main.php

This weekend I will cut out areas needing cutting out! I will clean them up too and make a template for each area so come early next week new steel can be cut and then welded in place. After this I am going to put the axles back under the frame along with the new leaf springs from Alcan. This will simply be for test fitting purposes. Once I am happy with the new leaf springs I will tear it all out again and start on final prep for painting the last coat of chassis black.

Cheers

blue bomber

Adventurer
Toot your horn as much as you want. Looks great. I'm a series rover guy( not stock by any means) , but I have always liked the patrols. I cannot understand why they are considered so obscure. I think they are great. I just wish we could get 1990's GU's here. In my opinion they are the best truck you can buy. Just from what I have read and compared data. I used to be a medium duty truck mechanic, specializing in UD, (Nissan)Isuzu and GMC. The nissans were the best. I worked on the 4.2 diesels,the same as installed into current patrols. Great engines. It's just shameful that the selection nissan trucks we have here is so limited.

Disclaimer: I had a hardbody for years,loved it until I was "t" boned in it. A sad day.

Tapatalk sucks, sent from Matthew's IPhone

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Thanks Blue Bomber and I totally agree with you! The TD42 is a great motor, someday I may have one and put it in something! And if I could get a GU, I wouldn't even be building my other truck, aka The Mongrel. I almost bought a Rover once, over 20yrs ago. I had found a 109 wagon with a Safari top. I could have got it for $2-3k but at the time that was a lot of money for me. On top of that at the time I had a 67 Patrol that was sucking me dry anyways and the 109 needed lots of money. If I had never found the Patrol back then and got the 109 instead, well I may just be a Rover guy these days!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Today's progress....

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

After a bit of clean up....

main.php

main.php

main.php

Comparison, factory Nissan with steel bushing on left, RuffStuff way back on right.

main.php

Yup, 49.3"

main.php

more surgery....

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

After a little clean up...

main.php

main.php

Didn't get to pulling this one out today....

main.php

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Another action packed day of Patrol restoration! :lol:

First up....last night it was decided the #2 cross member shall be replaced. I had it rebuilt years ago but it would appear the job was half assed. The cross member is still showing some thin spots from rot and is full of dents. The dents were beat out of it but still, just look to see how lumpy and bumpy it is.

main.php

main.php

main.php

A thin spot....

main.php

Ugly patch jobs...

main.php

main.php

So today I built a "jig" from card board in order to build a new cross member. The top and trans mounts are good in the cross member so only planning to build this three sided bottom replacement as you see. It won't have such sharp edges once done since I will grind all that back and then sand it too. I am happy with the jig and confident we can build a new cross member that matches stock, is stronger then stock and has no lumps! Just like the card board jig this will be built from three pieces and then shaped or contoured with the grinder and sander to remove any sharp edges.

main.php

main.php

Templates for the patch pieces on the #3 cross member...

main.php

main.php

Fun times drilling busted bolts! All eight are now done though...

main.php

main.php

I will defeat you bolt!!!

main.php

main.php

I got out the stock early style fuel tank in preparation for a sand blast and restoration of the tank and skid plate.

main.php

main.php

And I happened to come across the original and very cool horns...

main.php

main.php

Twas a good day!! :cool:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
More Patrol restoration photos!! :crazy:

I cut the #2 cross member out...

main.php

and the new one in the process of being fabricated, next to the old one...

main.php

main.php

Built it out of 3/16s, nice and strong...

main.php

what was left on the frame...

main.php

and the new cross member after a bit of shaping with the grinder/sander.

main.php

main.php

Next to the stock one I cut out, keep in mind the new one is not finished yet.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

I am very happy with how the cross member is turning out so far!!

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
The sand blaster guy picked up the frame this morning and I had it back this evening. Not bad service for a Sunday!

Here are pictures of the sand blasted frame...

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Next up, get all the sand out of the inside of the frame! :roll:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members