Simple How to battery help....

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
The control panel on my Conqueror seems to have died. So I pulled it out and now want to just make this simple since I don't camp as often with shore power, need to charge the battery while driving or keep a fridge running for a week.

My thought is:
Just place the battery in a box in the nose cone (current battery is a Marine style from Tractor Supply)
Ground the battery to the trailer frame.
Run a wire from the (Pos) to a fuse box (Blue Sea?) with a in line fuse before the box?
Replace all the BMW style accessory plugs with the US style
plug in the one permanent light to the fuse box
Charge at home or if needed on the road with a Battery Tender (I already own it)

What am I missing? I am electronically challenged.

TIA

jim65wagon

My thought is:
Just place the battery in a box in the nose cone (current battery is a Marine style from Tractor Supply)
Ground the battery to the trailer frame.
Run a wire from the (Pos) to a fuse box (Blue Sea?) with a in line fuse before the box?
Replace all the BMW style accessory plugs with the US style
plug in the one permanent light to the fuse box
Charge at home or if needed on the road with a Battery Tender (I already own it)

What am I missing? I am electronically challenged.

TIA

That's probably as simple as it gets Jay. That sounds like you are just bypassing the control panel. Right?
You can (in the future) always buy a chager/converter like the Intellipower 9260 that we picked up for the tear. It will run your 12volt accessories and charge the battery at the same time. But it's just a fancy smart battery charger afterall.
Does the plug to the truck have a charge line (ie is it a 7 pin RV style connector)? That would help on trips (while in transit) and it's easy to tie in a key-on relay so you don't run down the truck battery if you stay connected overnight.
On our anniversary trip last summer I had to use a power inverter (plugged into the outlet in the truck bed, engine running) connected to my regular old battery charger to recharge the battery on the Silver Shadow.

You need to run a separate ground cable to the rear battery as well. Don't depend on the battery negative-to-frame-to-hitch-to-ball-trailer-frame-to-battery negative to be decent ground.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
The separate ground cable is included with "most" 7-pin applications and it is not solely relying on the hitch connection. I know mine was setup that way on my '96 Bronco, my Dad's new Nissan, and my '04 Ranger from the factory. It comes all the way from the fuse box.

As for the plan, looks good to me, but I'd solidly install the battery tender up front on the battery with a 120V access somewhere just to make it easier when to do want to charge things up.

Don

-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94