2005 Nissan Frontier?

trailrunner

Observer
Hello, I am considering a 2005 Nissan Frontier crew cab 4x4 with the 6spd Manual. I have read a fair bit about the earlier frontiers, but am unfamiliar with these models. Can anyone provide me with some experience and opinions? I have also considered the Tacoma Double Cabs, but the prices are much higher in Canada.

Shurppa

Observer
Mine is an older model but I love it, When it falls apart I'm going to buy another one. Love the frontier.

I have a 2005 Xterra - same drive train and basic setup as a Frontier. Mine is in auto and, fortunately, has not been plagued with the radiator/trans cooler failure that kills the tranny. It has been a decent truck, but I am not overly impressed. Plenty of horsepower for everyday use. I have towed way over the recommended max with it, it handles the load fairly well. Drives and handles good for what it is. Has been mostly reliable; 142,000 miles, two complete sets of u-joints, one fuel sending unit and most recently a right front wheel bearing/hub. The rear diff has been howling pretty bad for about 60k miles, I am surprised it has not went out yet. Local shops wants about $300 to diagnose with their "suspension ear". I think it is a carrier or pinon bearing, will probably just wait until it dies and replace the rear end with a junk yard unit. Interior is cheesy, seats and carpet do not look too hot anymore, very spartan interior but I like it. Okay MPG, I average about 19 mpg on my mostly highway commute. I'm just not feeling the love for this truck. Thinking of going back to a Land Cruiser or possibly a Rover. I have owned a few older Cruiser's, FJ80, 40, etc.

Kjell Sullivan

Observer
I had an '06 NISMO that I built up, and I really loved that truck. I would still be in it, if it weren't for some financial issues forcing me to sell. I too was considering a Tacoma at the same time, but when I compared them side by side, the Nissan seemed to be the better value. mike r mentioned that the '05's had lots of issues, but I really cannot speak on that. I didn't have any major issues with mine at any point. I did have the axle seals replaced since it had the same axle as the Titan and those had a design flaw which apparently was fixed with replacement seals, and there was an issue with the valve sticking on the EVAP canister but other than that it was great. Great power, torque, handling. decent after market support(albeit not as good as Toyota). Do some investigative work to find out if the 05's were indeed problematic. If you think it's not going to be an issue, I think you'll enjoy the Nissan.

trailrunner

Observer
Thanks guys! I am actually now looking at an 06' in similar trim, but it has the long box which I want. Glad to hear the feedback. What has been people's experience with fuel economy? Is it anywhere close to the EPA estimates? I'm not looking for a miracle, but I don't want to be wishing I had just bought a full-size to get the same mileage.

montypower

Adventure Time!
You might search about the "timing chain tensioners". I've heard of these failing and the replacement is $$$. The front differential is weak for serious off road use (aluminum case). And there is less aftermarket available compared to Tacoma. Of course, they do have a fully boxed frame, strong motor and less money new. I was seriously looking at buying one too. They seem to be solid rigs.

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
The only front Diffs I have seen blown were do to the drive miss using badly..
Lots of wheel spin and hop

I avg 16-25 mpg depending on my driving.. NAshville to Ohio I avg 24 easy 2wd

Neuromancer

I have an 2011, for mpg's I've seen as good as 19mpg fully loaded with two dirt bikes from Durango CO to Moab UT and in the low 20's from Durango to Denver. It gets about 15-17ish in town. I wouldn't worry too much about the front diff unless you are unable to drive with some finesse. Even still, you can break a chrmo D60 if drive it like you stole it and don't control wheel spin.

Crunch

I bought my 2005 CC NISMO 4x4 about a month ago so I can't speak to long term reliability. I bought it with a howling timing chain so that was the first thing I took care of. I also swapped the radiator so I didn't have to have the nagging transmission worry in the back of my head every time I drove it. I negotiated both of those repairs into the price and as long as the truck goes for a while I'm really happy with the deal I made. mike r is 100% right. If you're looking for info on a Frontier, go to clubfrontier. The problems with the earlier models are well documented and there's a ton of information there.

My only real complaint so far is that the gas mileage isn't great. I get around 15 mpg but most of my mileage is in the mountains. I'm looking forward to taking the truck on a road trip so I can see where it all lands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles