The Best Air Compressor For Expeditionary Travel - Maxingout

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Ether is fine if you don't use too much and stand well back. . . I've used it not only to reset beads, but also mount my own tires. Besides that the biggest danger about it would be possible wildfire risk if you're using it in a lot of dry grass. Definitely be careful there.

David

maxingout

Adventurer
Today I saw a patient who almost had his arm blown off by an exploding tire. The bones were shattered, and the soft tissue was the only thing holding the arm to the rest of his body. He also is blind in one eye and deaf in one ear two weeks after the injury. Surgeons reattached the nearly severed arm. Time will tell how much hearing and vision he will recover.

He was inflating a truck tire without the tire being placed in a cage. He ran the pressure up to 180 psi and it exploded. He is lucky to be alive.

This incident once again makes me respect the power of an exploding tire. This was a compressed air explosion. No ether or other chemicals involved.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for the guy but this doesn't sound like something that happens resetting a bead. This makes me more concerned for people not using common sense or the prescribed safety precautions. Since he was filling it at 180 psi was this a semi tire or other heavy equipment tire? The part that mostly scares people about resetting a bead is when the tire sets in the lip and it pops. If something was causing that not to happen with about 90-110 psi most guys I know stop, relube, and realign. I guess this is a good way to remind us all to pay attention to what we're doing while we do it. I hope he makes a good recovery.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Today I saw a patient who almost had his arm blown off by an exploding tire. The bones were shattered, and the soft tissue was the only thing holding the arm to the rest of his body. He also is blind in one eye and deaf in one ear two weeks after the injury. Surgeons reattached the nearly severed arm. Time will tell how much hearing and vision he will recover.

He was inflating a truck tire without the tire being placed in a cage. He ran the pressure up to 180 psi and it exploded. He is lucky to be alive.

This incident once again makes me respect the power of an exploding tire. This was a compressed air explosion. No ether or other chemicals involved.

This is unfortunately very common with semi tires. Every time I pass a tractor-trailer on the road, I get paranoid about one of those tires blowing and coming through my window. . . I pass as quickly as possible.

David

dieselandmud

Adventurer
This is unfortunately very common with semi tires. Every time I pass a tractor-trailer on the road, I get paranoid about one of those tires blowing and coming through my window. . . I pass as quickly as possible.

David

One almost come thru my windshield at 75mph! Caved in the windshield about 12 inches. Filled the inside of the car with dust like glass. For months after, I had to wear sun glasses (day or night) for a short time when turning on the air vents.

maxingout

Adventurer
One almost come thru my windshield at 75mph! Caved in the windshield about 12 inches. Filled the inside of the car with dust like glass. For months after, I had to wear sun glasses (day or night) for a short time when turning on the air vents.

I always wondered what the flying rubber would do to a windshield at high speed. Now I know. That's a bit of a worry! I am an eye surgeon, and the thought of flying glass fragments and glass "dust" in the eyes doesn't sound like fun. I have picked lots of foreign bodies out of other people's eyes. I would not look forward to it happening to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94