Adventure Trailer

sierraglen

I have been a member of the forum for a while, but have not posted. I was considering purchasing a trailer from Adventure Trailer, but our plans have changed. Anybody have any experience dealing with them? I made a deposit, and due to a request on their part to sell the trailer to someone else, changed my plans. Now their is an issue about the deposit, and I wonder if anyone can share their impressions/experiences with dealing with them. Thanks.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I have been a member of the forum for a while, but have not posted. I was considering purchasing a trailer from Adventure Trailer, but our plans have changed. Anybody have any experience dealing with them? I made a deposit, and due to a request on their part to sell the trailer to someone else, changed my plans. Now their is an issue about the deposit, and I wonder if anyone can share their impressions/experiences with dealing with them. Thanks.

AT's policy is to give a full refund on the deposit within 72 hours of the order being placed. After that time we give a 50% refund on the deposit. The reasoning behind this is that once the order has been placed the money deposited is used to purchase the parts for the build and is committed to vendors. The longer the delay between placing the ordering and cancelling the order the more commitment of funds to vendors, labor for assembly, and other costs.

In the ten years we have been in business we have had three or four cancellations. In every case we have worked out a refund with the customer. The refund hasn't always been immediate, some customers agreed to wait until the trailer re-sold, or the trailer was so far along in it's build it made more sense to sell it and refund as much of the deposit as possible rather than just the 50%.

In each case we have tried to be as generous with the refund as practical, there are obvious expenses to cover like credit card fees that have to be accounted for plus any unrecoverable expenses. I do all the finances for AT, and right now I know of one refund that landed on my desk last week. If that's you I'm in the process of going through the accounting to work out what's the best thing we can do in this case so we all end up happy. If you want to contact me directly e mail me at martyn at adventuretrailers dot com

kb7our

Explorer

Welcome and sorry to hear your first post needed to be what it is for whatever reason we are all not privy to. To help answer your question, I purchased a 2007 Horizon, since sold. Now waiting for Habitat #5 to be built, with a deposit made on the unit as an early adopter I think dating to 2010. Prior to the Habitat I was ready to purchase an Oasis but that didn't make production (at least not yet). In hind sight, I'm very glad to have the opportunity to see the development of the Habitat from the ground up as this is a MUCH better option for me not to have to tow something. I've also purchased several of their products like drawers/storage units, propane tank holders, and other goodies. Even been frustrated with wait time on some items, namely their new product the Habitat. So, I guess you could say I have going on 5 years of interactions with AT, including its owners and employees. Throughout, even with some of the frustrations that frankly were outside their direct control, on a scale from 1-5 with 5 being top notch service, I'd rate them an honest and very solid "6". Hang in there and I hope things work out for you and your situation.

My advice is to take Martyn up on his invitation.

Wade

Last edited:

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I have delt with AT for a few years and have not had a single problem with them. Even my trailer delivery was late due to some sheet metal issues, not AT's fault. Mario felt so bad about the delay he delivered my trailer to me in San Diego from Mountclair. That is customer service. Nothing but good dealings with Martyn or Mario. Give em a chance I know they will make things right, and take up Martyns offer.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Just so everyone has the order of events right...
You made a deposit.
Adventure Trailers contacted you about selling the trailer they were working on for you to someone else.
At that point you decided to go in another direction and requested your deposit back.
Now you are waiting to hear about the refund and the amount.
Martyn has posted that he will review the case.

I will wait to post my thoughts until I am sure of the info posted above....I have stuck my foot in my mouth too often by typing too fast :)
But I will say that I give credit to Martyn for responding publicly and quickly to your thread.

EdwardBernal

Adventurer

That part I don't quite get - you ordered an AT and after taking a deposit from you, they turned around and requested to sell your order to someone else?
Maybe I'm reading that wrong but that does not sound like something these guys would do. Can you clarify that?

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
I bought a Buskwakka Fargo from them before they started making their own and then after the Fargo was totaled in a rollover wreck bought a 2007 Chaser. When I had a problem with the axle on the Fargo in Moab they went out of their way to get a replacement shipped to me. The Chaser is an excellent trailer and I have had nothing but pleasant dealings with Martyn and Mario.

Martyn

That part I don't quite get - you ordered an AT and after taking a deposit from you, they turned around and requested to sell your order to someone else?
Maybe I'm reading that wrong but that does not sound like something these guys would do. Can you clarify that?

Edward, this was a complex sale, and not all the information has been laid out so that people can make sense of it.

We don't typically discuss individual transactions, but suffice it to say I believe the matter will be closed to everyone's satisfaction.

EdwardBernal

Adventurer
Edward, this was a complex sale, and not all the information has been laid out so that people can make sense of it.

We don't typically discuss individual transactions, but suffice it to say I believe the matter will be closed to everyone's satisfaction.

Understood - I figured as much. This doesnt sound like your M.O.

cityblues

Two years ago I made an agreement with AT to purchase their prototype teardrop trailer with some additions and additional equipment. They continually put off pricing the additions and then failed to respond to my email and phone inquiries. After many months of trying, I gave up; however, several months ago I spoke with them about it and they put it off to miscommunication. As a willing buyer paying cash, I couldn't wrap myself around the miscommunication statement. My opinion was they had a favored friend who wanted it. I suppose I should be thankful I didn't deposit funds.
I did, however, purchase a used Chaser from an honorable member of this forum; not what I initially sought, but, a great trailer nonetheless. I should add, I have since talked with AT and they promise support as though I was the original purchaser. It sounds as though you have found an alternative trailer; there are several good ones out there, for sure, but, aside from my past issue with them, I have heard nothing but good about AT and their products. Good luck with that [complex] deposit.

Martyn

Two years ago I made an agreement with AT to purchase their prototype teardrop trailer with some additions and additional equipment. They continually put off pricing the additions and then failed to respond to my email and phone inquiries. After many months of trying, I gave up; however, several months ago I spoke with them about it and they put it off to miscommunication. As a willing buyer paying cash, I couldn't wrap myself around the miscommunication statement. My opinion was they had a favored friend who wanted it. I suppose I should be thankful I didn't deposit funds.
I did, however, purchase a used Chaser from an honorable member of this forum; not what I initially sought, but, a great trailer nonetheless. I should add, I have since talked with AT and they promise support as though I was the original purchaser. It sounds as though you have found an alternative trailer; there are several good ones out there, for sure, but, aside from my past issue with them, I have heard nothing but good about AT and their products. Good luck with that [complex] deposit.

Sorry about your experience with the prototype Teardrop, I have no personal recollection of the incident, and this is the first I have heard about your experience.

From what I recall about this Teardrop there may have been some circumstances that would have effected the date the trailer could have been sold.

The prototype Teardrop was owned by two companies Adventure Trailers and the Coachbuilder who makes the bodies, so the selling price and documentation had to be agreed upon by both parties before any sale, which may have resulted in some delays.

The Proto-type Teardrop was used in shows and events up until the time it was sold, again this could have effected the sale date.

When referring to an agreement, we are specifically talking about a legal contract between Adventure Trailers and our customer laying out the amount of the deposit, the amount of the sale, and the conditions of the sale. While I believe you when you say you were a willing cash customer it can be hard on our end to distinguish between people who are talking about buying and people who actually want to buy. It's not until the formal agreement is signed that we consider the commitment made. I'm sorry if we didn't put you in the correct group

I'm very glad you ended up buying one of our trailers, we treat our owners like family, it doesn't matter if they bought the trailer from us directly or from a previous owner. I'd like to apologize to you if you felt you were snubbed over the Teardrop, it was not intentional. Hopefully we'll be able to make it up to you with superior service for your Chaser.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Nope, never heard of Adventure Trailers (AT). Not even when Mario agreed to tow my AT Chaser (At no cost) from AZ. to CA. because my 80 series Land Cruiser blew a head gasket while at the 2007 expedition Trophy. What I have actually never heard of is an equal to them in customer service.

willywaxer

Sorry, but not returning a deposit is really small thinking. What, the producer ordered parts based on your order and feels they never will use them again on another trailer? How small time. Do they not have relationships with their vendors? If this is the excuse, then they should ship the unused parts with the partial refund. After all, he paid for it. I would never do business with a company retaining this sort of policy, regardless of how great their product was. First lesson in success...make it about the customer, not you. Don't take people's money then screw them. Heck, if your product is so great, then why even require deposits? They should sell as fast as you make them regardless, and then upsell on customization....AFTER the initial purchase.

Last edited:

Martyn

Sorry, but not returning a deposit is really small thinking. What, the producer ordered parts based on your order and feels they never will use them again on another trailer? How small time. Do they not have relationships with their vendors? If this is the excuse, then they should ship the unused parts with the partial refund. After all, he paid for it. I would never do business with a company retaining this sort of policy, regardless of how great their product was. First lesson in success...make it about the customer, not you. Don't take people's money then screw them. Heck, if your product is so great, then why even require deposits? They should sell as fast as you make them regardless, and then upsell on customization....AFTER the initial purchase.

This policy isn't about "screwing the customer", it's about getting both parties to commit to a project. All of our trailers are built to order and involve high degrees of customization. The agreement lays down the conditions of the sale and is entered into by both parties. It's all spelled out, nothing in small print. If the order is cancelled the agreement states that 50% of the deposit will be refunded. As I stated we have had 3 cancellations in 10 years. In all of these cases we have managed to resell the trailer to another customer and given a full refund minus any transactional fees. I'd have to say we have stepped up to the plate in all of these cases. In this case we sent a refund check covering all of the deposit minus the transactional fees. Again we managed to do better than the conditions stated in the agreement.

cityblues

Yes, it was at a show where I was told it was for sale and the coachbuilder, SoCal Teardrops, put me in touch with Mario, who agreed, too. Unfortunately, I didn't have a contract for the Teardrop, neither the coachbuilder or AT ever asked for one, nor did they ask for money--I did offer money--I assume because it was in the middle of a weekend outdoor display and AT was in the throes of moving to Arizona, but, had either asked for a contract, I would have been all over that. Thought I learned a lesson on that one, but, it appears I was trusting enough to cut a verbal deal on the Chaser I bought. Whew... glad that guy didn't renege.
I suppose the following paraphrase might be appropriate: "You can trust some of the people all of the time, you can trust all of the people some of the time, but you can't trust all of the people all of the time."
Anyway, it's moot now; history. Happy to hear you gave the gentleman his money back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles