first gen dakota's?

TOI

Web Adventurer
i've searched and only found one on the board. and there isnt much in the way of online forums that are really worth skimming through. the reason i'm considering the dakota is there is one across the street from me that i might be able to score for less then $500. 2wd and needs some work, but i need a truck. and it can be a project, or just a temp beater.

back to my question, why is there really nothing about the first gen dakotas? i've seen one sas's dak, and the one on here was stock and replaced by a t100. where is the love? i would figure a small truck that had the option of the 318 would have some potential.

BCHauler

Adventurer
I agree with you. I think that platform has a lot of potential. The powertrains are very common (so cheap to repair/replace), the trucks are inexpensive and the size is just right IMO. I'm not sure what the lift / accessory support is like though. Probably slim to none.

ColoradoBill

Adventurer
I love the 1st gen Dakotas. My dad had one with the 318 and it was an animal. I also bought a 2nd gen with a 360 and a 5sp from a salvage auction with minor rear end damage. As some of you know I am in a wheel chair so no manual trans for me but I did fix it a sell it. My buddy drove it for a bit said it was stupid fast. I would like to get a hold of one again and see how hard it would be to put a solid front axle and 33" tires on it. It would make for a great trail rig, I thing. Good size, excelent power and they look good.

The Wescotts built the "Weekend Warrior" from a Dakota. Check out this link.

http://turtleexpedition.com/vehicles/weekend-warrior/

98dango

Expedition Leader
Aftermarket For these trucks is almost nill. I feel there a good truck also almost bought one when i lived in Moab. There solid a sas can be done to any thing with the same basic parts. If I had access to a cheap one I would be driving one.

colodak

Adventurer
check out www.dakota-durango.com dodgetalk.com and there are a couple of other sites for Dakota's that will give you a wealth of information and sources. Yeah, the aftermarket has abandoned us, sadly, as 4-Wheeler mag. pointed out recently, the 2nd gen. Dakota, especially the 4 dr was really ahead of it's time and sadly the aftermarket left a gaping hole.

TOI

Web Adventurer
i guess that makes sense, well i have a chop saw, welder, and an over extensive imagination that only works for vehicle applications. i think i can make a decent aftermarket for myself if the truck is cheap enough

TOI

Web Adventurer
after some research on the outside of the truck, its def 92+. i'll find out more of the details tomorrow when the owner lets me in the gates

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior