Does hot sauce need to be refridgerated?

Felix Caliz

Tabasco buys used bourbon barrels from KY and ferments the mash of chilli's for 6 month inside a warehouse with a salt crust over the lid. As the mash expands during fermentation it moistens the salt and then creates a seal. On bottling day the barrels are emptied and vinegar is added to the mash. Then it's packaged and shipped. They are never refrigerated.

Don't worry so much, most of the bacteria that will make you sick can't live inside the acidity of most sauces. I find in my home they don't last long enough to go "bad".

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Tabasco buys used bourbon barrels from KY and ferments the mash of chilli's for 6 month inside a warehouse with a salt crust over the lid. As the mash expands during fermentation it moistens the salt and then creates a seal. On bottling day the barrels are emptied and vinegar is added to the mash. Then it's packaged and shipped. They are never refrigerated.

Don't worry so much, most of the bacteria that will make you sick can't live inside the acidity of most sauces. I find in my home they don't last long enough to go "bad".

Exactly. I buy Chulula at Costco buy the case. ;)

Zatara

Adventurer
Cholula and Poblano salsa ranchero, a local made sauce, are my two favorites they are kept out on the counter and have had no issues.

Hafwit

Adventurer
Labels can be misleading too. I especially find that expiration dates on labels can be a means to get you to buy more product rather than finish what you have (when it is still good).

Cheers,
Greg

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Expiration dates are often a means for the manufacturer to force the retailer to buy more product. Change the label a bit, force the retailer to toss out (or bargain bin) whatever is on the shelf and replace it with the "new and improved" label.

http://grandpappy.info/hshelff.htm

Balzer

Adventurer
There are 3 things I watch for in the ing. 1)sugar 2)tomato 3)vinigar. If it has sugars or tomatos it goes in the fridge, if it DOES NOT have vinigar it also goes in the fridge. Usually as stated above the acids in either the peppers or the vinigar is enough to keep the nasties away.
Most resturants dont refrigerate any of their condememnts ketsup, mustard, mayo, hot sauce ect. They go through it fast, However a lot of times they will keep bulk containers for refilling at room temp as well.
-
Something my Mom told me..... "where is it kept at the grocery store? on the shelf or in a cooler?"

Dirtytires

Explorer
I place mine in the cabinets. Never even thought of placing them in the Fridge. They are used not to worry about going bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz