RTT Window/Rainfly Poles?

JKJenn

Adventurer
I have my RTT (ARB Pilbara) set up in my garage getting ready to waterproof it but i am struggling with the poles to wold open the windows and rainfly. Either I am doing it wrong, or something is defective. I would guess I am doing something wrong. When I stick the poles into the holes on the frame and then insert the hooked end into the grommet, the fly/window slides right down the pole, no matter how I turn the pole. Any tips? Seems like it would be a lot easier if these poles came with some type of rubber stopper to hold the fly/window from sliding. Any way, it seems difficult to get the right tension to hold in place. With the rain fly, it seems as though even after I get it in place it is not taut and wouldn't hold up to much wind.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

kai38

Explorer
Do you have the fly attached on the top bar across the tent with the Velcro strips?
The door poles are also longer then the side window poles.

JKJenn

Adventurer
Do you have the fly attached on the top bar across the tent with the Velcro strips?
The door poles are also longer then the side window poles.

Poles are all the same size and there is no velcro, it runs through a bar at the top. :(

JKJenn

Adventurer
You've got the tent fully opened so that the base is leveled, right?

It is fully open, but not level (have balanced on a small platform to keep off of the floor.) Would not being level make a difference? I would think as long as it is fully open there should be enough of a distance for tension. I wanted to waterproof before mounting.

Thanks for the replies.

JKJenn

Adventurer
Send pictures of what you speak of.

I think I got it figured out. i didn't realize you stick the poles into the hole straight ( I really wasn't sure how you did it.) When I put them in straight and then bend them back I get the right amount of tension and when I pull the rain fly adjustment straps it tightens thing sup. Thanks for all of the replies. It would be nice if the material included a diagram or directions for we who are new to all of this. ;) Thanks, again!

Errant

Explorer
I'm glad you've got it figured out. I was having a hard time figuring out what you could be doing wrong.

Doug2000

Observer
I'm thinking of buying a Pilbara, how do you like yours? Why are you waterproofing it, I've never waterproofed my tent.

JKJenn

Adventurer
I'm thinking of buying a Pilbara, how do you like yours? Why are you waterproofing it, I've never waterproofed my tent.

As obvious by my original question, the whole camping thing is quite new to me, so bear that in mind....

I have used the tent a couple of times and I am going to use it more in September when I venture west. So far, so good. The very first time I used it I camped on the shores of Lake Erie where I endured a horrible windstorm coming off of the lake. The wind was loud but the tent was fine, except a small tear. The tear could have been from another snag, so I don't want to blame it on the windstorm. I truthfully can't be sure. the tear is on one of the rain fly extensions.

I was going to waterproof it because I thought you should. :) Found out I shouldn't need to waterproof it for several years because it is treated in the factory. I will let you know first time I am out in the rain with it. :)

Overall, I think the Pilbara is worthwhile if you are paying under $1000. The mattress stinks, but I think that is true of a lot of these tents. Last time I out I used a Cabella's Ultimate sleeping pad on top and it was perfect. I have 2.5" lift on the Jeep and pretty normal tires (stock Rubicon) and I needed the ladder extension. Others have simply drilled extra holes in the ladder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior