My new ZJ Expedition Rig

xjman88

Adventurer
That fold up table you have is really cool! So, question... What light are you running on your tailgate, and how is it powered? I like the idea of more light when the gate is open, and back there workin!
Its an led 2 phase light i found at walmart in the rv/camper supply section in sporting goods. It runs on 2 AA batteries. And yes it is nice to have at night.

BlackClassic

If Not Now When?
I just find it easier to keep my spare in the stock mount. I can have up to a 33 in tire in the stock location. I made a quick release for my spare so it comes out quite easy. And u r welcome to come over and we can build one.

Yeah sounds good some time down the road when I start some traveling it would be handy to have. I plan on doing some camping up in the north woods so organized storage would be mighty handy

xjman88

Adventurer
Where in the north woods u campin at? We spend alot of time up above Bingham campin, atving and fishing. Also do some wheeling too. Hit me up.

Last edited:

xjman88

Adventurer
Just a quick update. I installed a set off Blazer off road lights on the front. I fabbed up some mounting brackets that mount to the x member under the bumper. Came out lookin gpretty good. Will post up pics tomorrow.

BlackClassic

If Not Now When?
Quick question, when you had the tire on roof how did you like it. Did you notice any diff in mileage or top heaviness? I mean I know there will be a difference for top heaviness but is it much? And how did you have it mounted it up there, bracket or ratchet straps? I am thinking of sticking it up there on my XJ right in the roof rack because it is annoying in the back, every time I look back and need to see on that side without swinging my head to look in the mirror all I see is a Tire. Not a big deal but would like to try it on the roof.

xjman88

Adventurer
So a quick update on the expo rig. I have ordered a Rustys Offroad HD tranny crossmember/skid, a Iron Rock offroad belly skid and a set of JCR Offroad Stage II rock sliders. Will post up picks when all is installed. I did do some wheeling/exploring this past Memorial weekend. I didnt get any pics but am going back up north in 2 weeks for a 5 day expo trip. We have a 25 foot camper we leave up there for our basecamp for wheelin, atving and fishing. Stay tuned.

Recce01

Adventurer
So a quick update on the expo rig. I have ordered a Rustys Offroad HD tranny crossmember/skid, a Iron Rock offroad belly skid and a set of JCR Offroad Stage II rock sliders. Will post up picks when all is installed. I did do some wheeling/exploring this past Memorial weekend. I didnt get any pics but am going back up north in 2 weeks for a 5 day expo trip. We have a 25 foot camper we leave up there for our basecamp for wheelin, atving and fishing. Stay tuned.

I am really looking forward to your report on the underbody protection. That is one area I haven't began to think about with my ZJ. I am especially interested in the crossmember. Have fun on your trip!

xjman88

Adventurer
Ive recd the belly skid and got an update from JCR on my sliders today. Lookin at another 2 weeks till i get them. I guess they're backed up. Its all good as i need to install new rocker panels beforehand. I rec'd the box from Rusty's offroad for the crossmember but it was empty. Appears it was sliced open and the crossmember removed. I contacted Rustys about it and they in turn contacted UPS. UPS is tracking the package and if its not located, Rustys will build and ship a new one.

xjman88

Adventurer
So no word yet if UPS found my crossmember. Im still waiting. I did rebuild my rear storage area the last couple of days. I used 1/2 in plywood for the sides. I have also removed my spare from the back and is going on the carrier i built. I then built a mount for an Aquatainer 5 gallon water storage can. I will have pics up tonight as i need to finish it up. All in all the ZJ is coming together nicely. I still need to install new rockers and prep for my sliders next week. JCR will be shipping the early part of next week. My front bumper/winch mount should arrive today. I still have alot of work to do on the jeep but its all worthwhile in the end. I also picked up some Sterilite stackable storage containers in 3 different sizes to try out. They come w locking lids and lock onto each other. I willl have pics of those as well. I also put a Sterilite utility drawer on top of the rear storage deck. Please stay tuned and happy trails.

Last edited:

Recce01

Adventurer
So no word yet if UPS found my crossmember. Im still waiting. I did rebuild my rear storage area the last couple of days. I used 1/2 in plywood for the sides. I have also removed my spare from the back and is going on the carrier i built. I then built a mount for an Aquatainer 5 gallon water storage can. I will have pics up tonight as i need to finish it up. All in all the ZJ is coming together nicely. I still need to install new rockers and prep for my sliders next week. JCR will be shipping the early part of next week. My front bumper/winch mount should arrive today. I still have alot of work to do on the jeep but its all worthwhile in the end. I also picked up some Sterilite stackable storage containers in 3 different sizes to try out. They come w locking lids and lock onto each other. I willl have pics of those as well. Please stay tuned and happy trails.

Man you are diving in all at once! I like your style! What did you decide to do for a front bumper and winch mount?

xjman88

Adventurer
Oh ya. I try not to mess around. I picked up the winch mount from a member on Jeep forum. Its pretty rugged and has shackle mounts. I ended up bolting it and then welding it on for extra reinforcement. I also mounted up my Hella 500s. I was able to reuse the sides of my stock bumper cover to still maintain the factory look. Im now on the hunt for a decent winch w/o breaking the bank. Here are a few pics. Hope u enjoy. MAtts pics 634.jpgMAtts pics 636.jpgMAtts pics 631.jpgMAtts pics 637.jpgMAtts pics 638.jpgMAtts pics 639.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles