Solar setup question

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have a 60 watt Power Film panel with the associated controller. I tested the panel and I see 18 volts coming out. I put on the controller and I don't see any voltage. I am assuming the controller is bad. Is there anyway to test it?

Assuming the controller was bad I just connected the panel to my trailer battery but i really did not see any charging taking place. I am using a simple voltmeter gauge on that battery. Perhaps there is a better gauge that would be more accurate in measuring the status of the battery.

Thanks

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
K. That's a Morningstar Sunguard:

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/sun-guard

There is a bit about testing it on the last page of the manual:

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/en/support/library/SG.IOM.Operators_Manual.01.ENG.pdf

In most of the manuals I've seen for Morningstar charge controllers, they say you can test the charge controller using a regulated power supply on the input.

Also note that most Morningstar manuals specify connecting the battery first. I believe that's because some of them don't power up and begin operating unless there is resistance on the battery side.

In any case, you should be able to get their tech support to help you figure out if the controller is toast.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Ok when I connect the panel ,controller to the battery how do I know the meter is reading the panel's output and not the voltage from the battery.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
1- check the voltage from the battery before you connect the charge controller

2- Check the voltage with the controller connected - it should be slightly higher

3- later in the day disconnect the panel and controller after charging for a few hours
and check the battery voltage again.

If its working there should be an increase in voltage at stage 2 and 3

This is based on a battery that is not full already !

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Makes sense but due to the inefficiency of solar it could take days to see any change. I put my 60 watt panel on a battery and could never see any change

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Ok when I connect the panel ,controller to the battery how do I know the meter is reading the panel's output and not the voltage from the battery.

The battery controls the voltage of the circuit. If the PV module is connected to the battery through the charge controller, then the voltage on the INput side will be the same as the OUTput side - i.e., the battery's voltage.

If the PV module is NOT connected to the battery by the charge controller, then the voltage on the INput side of the charge controller will be the Voc (Voltage Open Circuit) of the PV module and the voltage on the OUTput side will be the battery voltage.

To check flow, you need to use a meter than can measure amps. If using a multi-meter, be sure that it can handle the amp flow. My Radio Shack meter can only handle up to 10a - anything over that will blow an internal fuse.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Sorry to hear you are having problems.These small solid state controllers are nice, compact and less expensive, but they are no help when it comes to trouble shooting. Scenarios like this are why we prefer to go with controllers with LED readouts. The units we use give battery voltage and amperage output from the solar panel. I know having this information isn't going to help you out in this situation, but for those of you thinking about installing a controller weigh the options of the slightly bigger, more expensive controllers with LED read outs.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Martyn, I am using the Brunton one which I use with the Powerfilm 60 watt panel I bought from you.
How hard is it to replace the simple one I have with one of your LED readout ones?
Would I still be able to use the same plug up front to plug the Powerfilm into?

Corey, it's a very straight forward swap. The wiring is identical, two wires into the controller from the panel and two wires out of the controller to the battery. The unit you have is fine, the issues begin when something goes wrong and you are trying to trouble shoot. From a peace of mind position the LED read out keeps you posted on the condition of the battery, power consumption, and recharge.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Does this work?

1- check the voltage from the battery before you connect the charge controller

2- Check the voltage with the controller connected - it should be slightly higher

3- later in the day disconnect the panel and controller after charging for a few hours
and check the battery voltage again.

If its working there should be an increase in voltage at stage 2 and 3

This is based on a battery that is not full already !

Wanting to check the exact same thing.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I found the answer on how to test the system. Connect the NEG cable to the NEG on battery. Then put your meter on DC volts and put it inline with e POS side of the controller and the POS terminal of the battery. The meter will read the voltage out from the panel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles