BAE SD Brazos Chassis now available through GXV

michaelvanpelt

Observer
BAE Systems 3 web.JPG

Global Expedition Vehicles has been chosen, by military contractor BAE Systems, to be a distributor for the SD Brazos (Severe Duty) truck chassis.

BAE Systems has introduced a proven, superior chassis built for mobility in rugged and extreme operating conditions, as well as best-in-class durability. Their SD Brazos Chassis System is based on the FMTV, a family of tactical vehicles designed and manufactured by BAE Systems for the U.S. Army. With over 60,000 vehicles in active duty all over the world, the FMTV established new standards for mobility, reliability and capability in the Army's tactical vehicle fleet.

Leveraging their successful military legacy, BAE Systems introduces a superior chassis to the severe/extreme duty global market. Now available on commercial 4x4 and 6x6 platforms, they've brought military toughness to civilian duty.

The Extreme Duty/Severe Duty Chassis has superior ground clearance and slope-climbing capabilities, can ford though 30 inches of water and has a Central Tire Inflation System (CTIS). Driving where other vehicles can't provides major savings in stuck vehicle retrieval costs, vehicle down time, additional transport and labor inefficiencies.

This chassis is also designed and tested to safely operate on 30% side and 60% vertical slopes. The cab-over design provides excellent visibility, reducing potential injuries as well as liability and repairs.

After five years of use in an extreme operating environment, an on-road vehicle may no longer be on the road. But the SD Brazos Chassis is designed to last 20 years in an off-road/extreme environment— outlasting any other comparable vehicle and reducing lifecycle costs.

Specifications are available at
http://globalxvehicles.com/bae-systems-sd-brazos/

Call Rene' at Global Expedition Vehicles at (417) 582-5050 for more information, configurations, and pricing on the BAE Systems SD Brazos chassis or contact us through the website at http://globalxvehicles.com/contact-us/.

GLOBAL EXPEDITION VEHICLES LLC
1520 N. Commercial Road
Nixa, MO 65714

Phone: 417-582-5050

http:/.globalxvehicles.com

Last edited:

cwsqbm

Explorer
Two thoughts cross my mind on this:
(1) Its about time. Getting a used military version is next to impossible, and the HD cabover market in this country is underserved, now that Isuzu and Fuso don't sell their bigger trucks here anymore.
(2) I hope they sell enough to make it worth their while. Otherwise, we'll end up with a U500 situation - rare and expensive even used years later.

Sadly, a new one will be out of my price range.

foxhunter

Adventurer
SD Brazos

I see on the GXV website that they are now offering the SD Brazos in 4x4 or 6x6. Anyone had experience with these or know how they stack up compared to unimog?

LukeH

Adventurer
Well done GXV!

This should prove to be popular, considering the poor range of forward cab base vehicles in the US. German made cab bolted onto American running gear, what could go wrong?

You don't recline in a forward cab, which might be weird for a F55O owner/potential customer to come to terms with (not wanting to compare luxury XV brands of course), and it's much more of a climb to get into the driver's seat; but once you've got the hang of it it's rather pleasant being that high up (at least I find).

How does it compare to a Unimog? Which one?
You can't compare it. OK geometrically from the point of view of a weekend warrior in his modified/lifted car, the Mog has better angles and clearance. However once you get into these big toys you get some real surprises, and your theoretical analyses go out the window as you scream in fear at what the demo driver is taking you through.
The beastie will be capable, you can be sure of it.
Remember also that the Mog is an instrument carrier; the technology and weight of the vehicle are not reflected in the load capacity, but in what it can do when it's there.
The Brazos is a load carrier, focussed on getting the most stuff the furthest in possible.
My personal opinion is that the Brazos would be far more appropriate than a Mog for long distance XV use; but then we'll probably never find someone who has the leisure to do a RTW in each just to help us compare.
So it's only my opinion; and Charlie will pipe up and say how happy he is with his Mog. These are totally theoretical questions for most of us as the price of a U500 or one of these Brazos new is going to be slightly out of the reach of more than a few.

Anyway I'm looking forward to following GXV's demo vehicle build on the Brazos.:drool:
There will be a demo vehicle won't there?

foxhunter

Adventurer
I didn't see anywhere on the specs what the top speed is on these things, but I am guessing maybe 85mph with that cummins??? If so that would definitely be another plus over a U500. Anyone know a price for one of these? I would guess $130k+ ??

haven

Expedition Leader
LukeH alludes to a big advantage of the Unimog -- global availability of service. While not all nations import the Unimog, there are Mercedes factory service operations on 6 continents (150+ countries) around the world. Now if we could just get Mercedes to import the Zetros to USA!

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Last week I saw a few of these sitting in the yard of a heavy equipment dealership along hwy 10 east of Houston. Just about broke my neck looking over my shoulder as I drove by at 75 mph...

Bill Beers

Explorer
I didn't see anywhere on the specs what the top speed is on these things, but I am guessing maybe 85mph with that cummins??? If so that would definitely be another plus over a U500. Anyone know a price for one of these? I would guess $130k+ ??

Cummmins also has an available RV rating for the 2010 ISB of 360 hp, 800 lb-ft. I don't know if it is available in this chassis though.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Cummmins also has an available RV rating for the 2010 ISB of 360 hp, 800 lb-ft. I don't know if it is available in this chassis though.

This comes with the Cummins 6.7, 325 HP and 750 Lb-Ft. The intial production run of 12 has started, but I do not know the breakdown between 4x4 or 6x6. Comes standard with minimal options available. CTIS is standard and from what I've been told, quite the feat to remove it. I'd prefer to have it anyways. You can get any color you want, as long as it's ExPo white. One option I noted was the availability of a 37 cfm air compressor.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Make mine a 4x4 with a Global Traveler box on the back... Gotta dream, right ! ?
There's another lotto on Friday :D

762X39

Explorer
This is good news for the serious travellers that can afford the price of admission. There will be lots that want to kick the tires and compare it to a mog or whatever. It is a serious truck with specific capabilities that make it suitable for some of us and unobtainium for the rest.Good on you guys!:coffee:

Bill Beers

Explorer
...Now if we could just get Mercedes to import the Zetros to USA!

Probably wishfull thinking. I don't think Daimler will import any MB trucks to the Americas, (that is to say, countries in the Americas that are currently served by DTNA.)

If you're a military customer though, DTNA does have a 6x6 troop/cargo carrier:

6862485962_182741af48_b.jpg

BAE "SD-Brazos"

GXV is the national dealer for the newly released BAE SD-Brazos, civilianized version of the FMTV 4X4 and 6X6. They still come with difflocks and CTIS is an option.
White is the only paint color.

Charlie

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
I tried googling around for some more information, but no luck. Other than GXV, is there anywhere else with information. Did not even come up with a BAE result :(

I was impressed that the interior comes with a center console with two cup holders :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles