Kym Bolton on super single wheels and tyres

engineer

Adventurer
+1, I disagree with Kym on the 17's, we had them on the isuzu's on Fraser and they were nothing when compared to the 255/100 R16's.
I'd pick the latter any day, but if you're not carrying serious weight on RGVM maxxed out, then i'd definitely go Alloy before steel.
We all have our own opinions, that's just mine based on commercial application.:iagree::Mechanic::safari-rig:

Thespoon

Observer
"Currently conservatively Load Rated at 1200Kg (2645Lb)
BUT now under load test to destruction by ROH to 800,000 cycles which is the requirement for SAE J328. This is the international minimum Passenger Car and Light Truck Performance Requirements and Test Procedures for fatigue testing of wheels intended for normal highway use[/COLOR]

Hi all
with a load rating of 1200Kg per wheel they are not really suitable for the Isuzu NPS300 which has a GVM of 6000Kg. The weight on the front axle on my NPS300 is 2400Kg which is 1200Kg per wheel and on the rear it is 3400Kg eg. 1700Kg per wheel. On the front I would be on the limit and on the rear 500Kg over.
However if you limit your GVM to 4500Kg (NPS250) you might be Ok.
Just my thoughts.
BTW on Kym Boltons website.....click onto "New Expedition Vehicle".....good looking truck.......I've seen them in Europe.....anybody wants to know what it is? :Wow1:

Regards
Adrian

Amesz00

Adventurer
BTW on Kym Boltons website.....click onto "New Expedition Vehicle".....good looking truck.......I've seen them in Europe.....anybody wants to know what it is?

looks like a military version of one of these

http://web.iveco.com/uk/Products/Pages/daily_4x4_features_and_benefits.aspx

according to our iveco dealer in perth they are importing them soon. gotta say they look sweeet.. parabolics all round, standard diff locks and standard XZLs.. oh yea and it has a 6sp gearbox with maybe a splitter and 2 low ranges.. anyways total 24 forward gears :D if the cab didnt still look like a van id have one straight up.. the new eurocargo 4x4s also look pretty mean. i have to admit much more appealing from an offroad perspective than the MAN TGMs...
oh and (personal opinion) i cant disagree too much with what Kym said about tyre selection.. the XZLs are expensive and hard to get, and hard to justify for most people.. but theres still a reason all military trucks worldwide run them and not mickey T's or BFG's etc..

Andrew

Witchdoctor Oz

Adventurer
I spoke to the importers of the Iveco about a year ago, he informed me that we would not be seeing the 4x4 for some time as they were have trouble with the transfer case crapping them selves in trucks in Europe.

David

Just remember guys that you must first obtain approval from Department of Transport in Queensland if you want to fit super singles to a vehicle in Queensland. And also keep in mind that if a light vehicle you can (at the moment) only have tyres 15mm bigger than what the vehicle came out with, this can be found on the tyre placard.

There are only a few companies that can legally fit larger wheels to these vehicles and this will need to be done before it is first registered.

So if you are thinking that you can fit big wheels & tyres to a vehicle already registered - think again.

Cheers
David

busbart

Observer
They sell them in Europe at least! but it's another company, Italy based "BREMACH", and they do still use a lot of IVECO parts! sorry, i don't have a link.

looks like a military version of one of these

http://web.iveco.com/uk/Products/Pages/daily_4x4_features_and_benefits.aspx

according to our iveco dealer in perth they are importing them soon. gotta say they look sweeet.. parabolics all round, standard diff locks and standard XZLs.. oh yea and it has a 6sp gearbox with maybe a splitter and 2 low ranges.. anyways total 24 forward gears :D if the cab didnt still look like a van id have one straight up.. the new eurocargo 4x4s also look pretty mean. i have to admit much more appealing from an offroad perspective than the MAN TGMs...
oh and (personal opinion) i cant disagree too much with what Kym said about tyre selection.. the XZLs are expensive and hard to get, and hard to justify for most people.. but theres still a reason all military trucks worldwide run them and not mickey T's or BFG's etc..

Andrew

Alastair D(Aus)

aging but active
troublesome and expensive

I have a 2007 NPS 300 and am building up a camper myself (slowly).

I researched the tyre and rim issue early on and was very frustrated with what was available and legal here.

My vehicle is plated as 6000GVM. The front axle is rated at 2600 and the rear at 4000. This means that since the wheels and tyres need to be the same all round, the rear sets the limit and hence I need a wheel/tyre combination that are rated to 2000 or greater. Finding rims and tyres that are rated to this and also with a diameter within the limits is just about impossible. The ATW solution is really the only one I can find that is legal. Unfortunately it requires modifications to the brake system that builds up the price.

I would prefer a tyre with more flex in the sidewall to improve the ride and for rough country work, but to get the load carrying capacity the sidewalls are very stiff.

I am trying in my build to keep the weight down so that perhaps I can derate the vehicle but by the time I have all the fitout, gear, water and fuel I don't think I will be able to reduce it much. The authorities here (RTA-NSW) are now regulary checking vehicles on road in particular for wheel loads. I know of a few people who have motorhomes rated at 4500 that have been caught well over the limit with full tanks etc and got fined and a vehicle defect issued. They did not know they had a problem and feel hard done by. The easy solution is have the GVM upgraded and then get a heavy vehicle licence. In most cases this is not too difficult but a lot of older folk feel intimidated about having to get a truck licence.

It is tempting to get wheels and tyres that look nice but I know Mr Murphy watches me like a hawk and I don't want an illegal vehicle if I have a prang and have the insurance invalidated. It seems the situation in the US is much easier as changing rims and tyres is done regularly. Can someone with the knowledge say what happens there or does it vary state top state?

cheers

Thespoon

Observer
Mmmmm......If you are going to be over 4500kg......you might have to bite the bullet and get ATW set up.
Cheers
Adrian

Mr Rehab

Traveller
Have to agree with the weight issue. Friends are running Kym Bolton's 17in wheels and Hankook tyres and are happy with them but they must be at the limit of what the tyre is built for when they are at max load.

Maybe Kym should consider politics, there's more than a little spin on his webpage: the 19.5 wheel/tyre combo weighs 76kg vs the 66kg for the 17's and I doubt anybody is driving around on 120psi. 65 to 80 psi works fine for me, and I've run lower where road conditions warranted eg 45psi for 1400km across the Anne Beadell.

westyss

Explorer
Have to agree with the weight issue. Friends are running Kym Bolton's 17in wheels and Hankook tyres and are happy with them but they must be at the limit of what the tyre is built for when they are at max load.

Maybe Kym should consider politics, there's more than a little spin on his webpage: the 19.5 wheel/tyre combo weighs 76kg vs the 66kg for the 17's and I doubt anybody is driving around on 120psi. 65 to 80 psi works fine for me, and I've run lower where road conditions warranted eg 45psi for 1400km across the Anne Beadell.

I have to agree with this too, in ideal conditions they would work but not knowing the actual max load that a tire can handle as opposed to the rated load written on the sidewall ( safety margin?) would leave you being concerned when encountering a condition where more weight is being transferred to one wheel while passing over a rough and rocky surface. Case in point, in my avatar you can maybe make out that the centre of gravity has been displaced to have the right rear wheel carrying I would say most of the weight of the camper. In this case it would far exceed what the tire was rated for while still being abused. If this was occuring in the middle of nowhere it becomes a BIG concern.

Mr Rehab

Traveller
goneover,
No real issues with clearance that I'm aware of. You may have to trim the steps into the front cab but shouldn't have problems with rubbing elsewhere even with the larger tyres.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles