Trailer hubs to match Xterra wheels, and general trailer ideas

supesazpd

I am starting a multi purpose trailer build and need help with ideas for the hubs. I want to use my 2011 Xterra wheels 6 on 4.5" but have not been able to find hubs. I have already come up with a couple options but would like input on other options and the best option.

I ordered 6 on 5.5" with the axle as that seemed the best for my first option:

-I can take the new hubs to a machine shop and have them drill a new pattern for me. I have no idea how much this will cost and am concerned that the strength of the hubs might be compromised.

-I can buy wheel adapters/spacers. I have seen some on ebay and such, these appear to run around $60 for a pair (only need 2) but add 1.5" per side. I am concerned with making the wheel track too wide as I already ordered the axle at 68" hub face.

-I can't imagine that this is an option, but would Xterra hubs fit on a trailer axle?

Without mounting the wheels/tires on the axle (as the lugs wont fit), I spaced the wheels out on the ground at approximately 68" apart (hub face) and this puts the outer track at around 73.5" and inner track at around 57.25". I measured the Xterra outer track around 75.5". Now assuming these are all correct +/-", does anyone see any issues adding the 3" of the spacers for a total of 76.5", slightly wider than the Xterra track?

As for the trailer itself, I plan on using it as a utility trailer primarily, but also want to be able to use as a quasi expedition trailer with a removable box, or maybe even a sleeping platform. I plan on making the base of the trailer 5' long by 4.5' wide (this will be slightly under due to the wheel spacing). I plan on making a 3' rear section that will either fold flat on the deck, straight in air as gate, or flat behind to extend bed, Or a removable 3' piece that can be plugged into the rear sort of like a hitch extender concept. I want the extended length for sheet goods and lumber transport.

I have ordered a Dexter 3500lb torsion axle 10degrees down. I went with torsion because I would like to be able to move the axle rearward when using in extended position for extended bed setup for heavy loads (to balance tongue weight). I do not intend to use brakes on the axle. And in case it comes up, I am looking at using either a traditional ball with a coupler that has the locking/sliding ring, or one of the full articulation couplers but they are quite pricey.

I am open to suggestions and ideas for any part of the build, but I don't need to be told why leaf springs are better because I have already dropped 4 bills on the torsion. ;)

tbone1004

Observer
i'd call the people you ordered the axle from and see if you can get them to shorten the axle. they likely haven't built it yet and even if it's a $50 surcharge peace of mind is worth it. That being said, having different track width by 3 inches isn't going to be that much of a problem. With trailers, your hub options are pretty limited and if you want to use normal OEM wheels you usually have to get wheel spacers

supesazpd

Thanks Tbone, I already have the axle in my possession. So are you saying drilling/machining isn't a good option?

Hi, I just ordered a torsion axle from Dexter the other day for my trailer re-build. I want to match the new axle with rims like on my tow vehicle. It has a weird 5 x 4.75" lug pattern and Dexter has that hub and is going to include it for my axle. Did you double check to see if Dexter has your bolt pattern available at all?

My machinist that ordered my axle made sure from his wholesaler that I can buy another set of hubs with a 6 bolt pattern to fit a different tow vehicle and they will match my axle spindles. Maybe just check with Dexter again, just to be sure. They really do have lots of different combinations available.

supesazpd

Unfortunately I have the axle/hubs already so even if they did offer (though they don't) my lug pattern it would be too late for factory swap. However, if someone knows where I can buy the needed hubs I will jump on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz