Looking for a new truck, considering Avalanche

biohzrd

I weighed the Avalanche in when I was looking for a new vehicle. After all was said and done I ended up with a CC Ram 1500. More room on the inside, a real truck bed, and actually had a better ride then the Avalanche. Trust me I am a Chevy guy, but I was a little let down from them when it came down to it. When they released the new models of the trucks in 07, they did nothing to improve the trucks interior room. The only thing that they did in my opinion as an uprade to the previous models was do away with the horrible torsion bar suspension. On a positive note though, I do like the styling of the Avalanche, and the ls series engines are the best gas v8 going in my in my opinion.

Topher1044

Observer
Thanks everyone.

biohzrd, before the Rover I had a '93 Silverado that I had as my first car until I bought the Rover after undergrad. I put Big Red through hell and back, but I was ready for a real backseat/interior storage and some creature comforts (Plus I got an awesome deal because no one wanted 15-17 mpg, and I was upgrading from 9-11). But I will definitely take another look at the Ram. I saw a Tundra Crewmax up close this week when a client came by, and I didn't hate it. It boils down to this: I just don't want another money pit like the rover was. Before I had to get rid of it, I always justified the repairs. Now I look back, and there was sooooo much just thrown into it... but I guess that's the way it goes. I don't expect a car to appreciate in value, but less of a headache would be nice...
/rant

I need a full sized vehicle because I'm 6'5", my wife is 5'10", and we already have our first son who isn't going to be a midget. I occasionally need a bed for work and just because everyone needs a truck bed on occasion (wood, soil, other toys, ect.) I grew up camping, but my wife grew up going to RV Parks (What she calls 'camping'). I want to get her and the family into at least a middle ground, and being able to use my vehicle as a base for that would be awesome. I've been through the Chevy Avalanche Fanclub website, and there's a lot of good info, but quite a lot of bling as well. I live in Atlanta, I've seen enough bling on 4x4's to make me sick.

The versatility of the midgate sounds like a great option... if it actually works. I actually don't mind the plastic, but I would get one without it as well. Anyone who actually owns one that can chime in more?

shultzie

Observer
Topher1044,

Hey man for what its worth I just picked up one last week. A 2002 Z71. I also had a Discovery and it was costing me way to much. Love/hate thing and the wife was sick of it!! I was in the market for a ext cab truck that had room for my wife and daughter. For what I use the truck for....getting to work and doing some camping here and there.... its going to work out great. Then again I don't haul any trailers or do any major off road just Forest Service roads and such. I like the idea of the midgate and covered bed. I took home the truck for a night before I bought it and drenched the midgate with a hose and didn't leak a bit. Dont know if that proved anything or not but I was worried about leaking. The 5.3 engine runs great and drive train seems solid and no leaks....unlike my discovery! For me its a good fit.....for someone else maybe not.

Thats my 2 cents hope it helps

Good luck on your search and good travels!

:beer:

Topher1044

Observer
Someone who knows exactly what I'm talking about. I'll be looking forward to updates on your truck and your experiences. I'm not looking to make this into a rock crawler, so it sounds good so far.

There aren't a ton for sale used, and I see that as a good sign. Is it true that the Earlier the model the better? Someone said that after '02 they started to cut stuff out to make it more cost efficient (first generation, I know '07 and up is a different generation). It goes against everything I've ever heard about vehicles, but I'm no master mechanic.

shultzie

Observer
Someone who knows exactly what I'm talking about. I'll be looking forward to updates on your truck and your experiences. I'm not looking to make this into a rock crawler, so it sounds good so far.

There aren't a ton for sale used, and I see that as a good sign. Is it true that the Earlier the model the better? Someone said that after '02 they started to cut stuff out to make it more cost efficient (first generation, I know '07 and up is a different generation). It goes against everything I've ever heard about vehicles, but I'm no master mechanic.

I have heard that after the 02 they made some of the stuff options on the 03. I like having the options and they where in the price range I wanted. Plus I don't mind the cladding on the side but they say the 02 fades worse than other years. I didn't see a lot of them for sale either and thought the same. Also I checked out chevy avalanche fan club on what common problems to look for and on other sites.

I don't plan on doing a lot. Just a leveling kit and some nice A/T tires and tint for now and enjoy my truck!!

I have a pic of it in my profile. Let us know what you decide to do!

redthies.......lol thats the truth!!!

:beer:

Balzer

Adventurer
Something I keep seeing in this thread is cost of maintainance. Over the years I have devised a simple way of seeing how expencive repairs could be on a vehicle. I simply take a few common parts and find out how expencive they are. Parts like a starter, water pump, altenator, OR say a tune up price.
This method has prevented me from buying a few cool cars such as a lotus espirit 350, but I am sure it has saved me some money on repairs. That lotus at the time had a starter that was WAY above the price of a common GM starter so I didnt buy the car.
But you may not even need to do that because most people willl tell you, and Im sure you probably already know GM parts are fairly cheap.

Topher1044

Observer
I will keep that in mind. Since I won't be pulling any horse trailers any time in the foreseeable future, the diesel is mainly for economy and longevity (of course getting new toys and being able to tow them will also be an added bonus).

If I decide to go with the 1500, is there anyone out there who has owned both an earlier model and a post 07 that can tell me the actual performance differences? The MPG doesn't seem that impressive, and the interior can be upgraded regardless of the year (although already having the Bose would be nice).

I do not need a monster truck, mutant will suffice.:box:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
There is a member on this forum called Henry that has an awesome avalanche:Wow1:with a whole wack of high grade mods. Thats hope he chimes in here soon.:)
I just ran across this thread. I hope you were talking about me. :)

BLT Offroad Avalanche

avalanche2012.JPG

I read through the thread pretty quickly. I see the usual pros and cons have been aired.

I was a small truck guy with a growing family. The small truck lacked some towing performance and horsepower needed at higher altitudes. A daily driver and comfort were part of the decision too. I need a rig with inexpensive parts and good availability. The best line I saw in the thread was a short wheelbase crew cab truck. That is what I needed. Having the back of the cab fold in for an 8' bed is a nice bonus. I need the ability to have an open separated bed in the back. Hauling muddy motorcycles, or just the burn barrel are usual duty for me. Pulling a comfortable base camp trailer is a must too.

My Avalanche uses sheetmetal from the Silverado and Suburban. Many parts interchange. That was one reason I avoided the early models with the body cladding and specialized body panels.
Many suggest the 2500. I'd say no for a daily driver. Mileage is horrible. It has a leaf sprung rear diff and is heavy. If you tow lots it can move the earth, but a diesel will be more affordable. The 1500 has coil sprung rear and floats over the terrain with better articulation. The 5.3L engine is tried and tested beyond 200k miles without major problems. Mileage is not stellar, but it is adequate. Towing power is respectable. Ride and comfort very good.
There are weaknesses as with any platform. Easily corrected. I have done several things to correct them on mine.

It is not a rock crawler. I don't need one for the areas I frequent. It is now very capable and will follow anywhere I desire to take it. The Z71 comes with decent shocks and shields. Some small upgrades and a reasonable size tire fits retaining a low center of gravity. I love the covered rear and ease of converting. The bed side storage boxes are super! That really frees up the bed space.

They can be very affordable. When I went looking the ones I was interested in were in the $10k-$18k price range. I ended up on the low side of that range.

I have had mine long enough to have removed the rose colored glasses of a new rig. Mine is finally to that "Happy Place". It is a keeper.

Topher1044

Observer
I just ran across this thread. I hope you were talking about me. :)

BLT Offroad Avalanche

avalanche2012.JPG

I read through the thread pretty quickly. I see the usual pros and cons have been aired.

I was a small truck guy with a growing family. The small truck lacked some towing performance and horsepower needed at higher altitudes. A daily driver and comfort were part of the decision too. I need a rig with inexpensive parts and good availability. The best line I saw in the thread was a short wheelbase crew cab truck. That is what I needed. Having the back of the cab fold in for an 8' bed is a nice bonus. I need the ability to have an open separated bed in the back. Hauling muddy motorcycles, or just the burn barrel are usual duty for me. Pulling a comfortable base camp trailer is a must too.

My Avalanche uses sheetmetal from the Silverado and Suburban. Many parts interchange. That was one reason I avoided the early models with the body cladding and specialized body panels.
Many suggest the 2500. I'd say no for a daily driver. Mileage is horrible. It has a leaf sprung rear diff and is heavy. If you tow lots it can move the earth, but a diesel will be more affordable. The 1500 has coil sprung rear and floats over the terrain with better articulation. The 5.3L engine is tried and tested beyond 200k miles without major problems. Mileage is not stellar, but it is adequate. Towing power is respectable. Ride and comfort very good.
There are weaknesses as with any platform. Easily corrected. I have done several things to correct them on mine.

It is not a rock crawler. I don't need one for the areas I frequent. It is now very capable and will follow anywhere I desire to take it. The Z71 comes with decent shocks and shields. Some small upgrades and a reasonable size tire fits retaining a low center of gravity. I love the covered rear and ease of converting. The bed side storage boxes are super! That really frees up the bed space.

They can be very affordable. When I went looking the ones I was interested in were in the $10k-$18k price range. I ended up on the low side of that range.

I have had mine long enough to have removed the rose colored glasses of a new rig. Mine is finally to that "Happy Place". It is a keeper.

You are one of the reasons I even started looking at Avalanches actually. I didn't know that you were who they were talking about.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Glad to see you put in your 2 cents worth Henry. You are obviously an inspiration to many with your fine rig.:)

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Thank you both.

chilliwak, we may need to share a cold one some day. A Canada trip is still on our agenda. We have one planned to canoe the potholes on the island. Ferry through the San Juans , travel up the island and then ferry back to the mainland for the trip down. Maybe our paths can cross on that journey?

Back on track...Sometimes you wonder if you're the only one who sees the benefits of an Avalanche as an expedition style vehicle. The Suburban has its place and has shown to be a reliable steed offering vast amounts of room for larger families and gear. This is the same platform with some nice features. Sort of like a Swiss army knife it has stuff that folds, up out and changes.

When traveling without our base camp trailer, I carry a self inflating double pad. The rear seats can be folded down and the midgate opened to have an 8' , enclosed sleeping platform in the back. Our BOBs and airjack fit at the foot of the bed next to the tailgate. A nice space from the front seats all the way back. Talk about stealth camping. No rear windows to peek into.

The rig is big and wide. I live in a high desert terrain. The trails can get tight at times, but nothing problematic so far. You will have to decide what will work for you. If you frequent tight trails and lots of trees, sliders and skill may not be enough? Here, I have had plenty of room.

The IFS works for me. I actually prefer it. There are places where IFS is the suspension of choice. Baja and Dakar rigs. IFS is good for higher speed and maintains a parallel tread orientation to the driving surface. Set up right it floats over the terrain. For a daily driver it offers good road manners. I have many vehicles in our fleet driven like rentals, offroad and they hold up very well to the abuse.

I do miss my S-series crew cab some times, but that feeling has greatly diminished. This rig is filling the void nicely. This is our first full year exploring with this rig and trailer. I did quite a bit last year, but made many adjustments during that time getting things where we wanted them. I hope we are there now. This year will be spent using the rig rather than modifying.
End of April we load up for our first spring adventure. Full-on loaded. Three motorcycles and the base camp trailer. Should be awesome.

If I were looking for one again, I think I would still look using the same plan. Avoid the early models and body hardware. Crud builds up behind those panels. The whole front end is Avalanche specific. Buy as new as you can afford and look for a used model around the 75k mile mark. Not too much more than that so you have a good lifespan and it has not suffered too long. It needs to be a Z71. The extras with that package are well worth the effort to find one. Heated seats. I never had them before, and now I can not go without them :) Don't buy one without the bed panels. That is a deal breaker. They are hard to find and expensive when you do. I like the a-arm suspension, but the strut front has advantages too. I think either are fine.

It sure seems a much younger generation are favoring the Avalanche. This forum can be a good resource: Chevy Avalanche Fan club You do need to wade through some stuff there. Another good site is Z71 Tahoe-Suburban.com. Not much Avalanche specific there, but lots of good information.

Best of luck with your search. I'm here to help answer any questions you might have :)

Last edited:

BCHauler

Adventurer
I think it is a really neat vehicle. Love the pic of the 'Lanche with the canopy. Being able to drop the midgate and sleep inside without ever leaving the truck is really handy. All about versatility if you ask me. Like a Swiss army knife.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Henry, I am in B.C. every summer so just let me know when and where, and I will buy the first round of beer!:)

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'd get the 2500HD. Real bed, larger fuel tank, more engine options (I like the 6.0L), durable 1 ton rear axle. I wouldn't be as happy running a locker in the Av's rear axle.

Fuel mileage is a wash, the Avalanch is every bit as fat and sassy as the 2500. 15-16mpg is ok from either truck.

I don't see the plastic as being a plus at all. Just added weight, there is, after all, sheet metal under there right. And I need to actually get to the sheet metal to maintain it. Where plastic panels sit and rub are often areas where rust starts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz