Looking for a new truck, considering Avalanche

Topher1044

Observer
First time post, but long time dweller. I'm considering an Avalanche. I like the size, look (I know a lot don't, but I don't want to start a pissing contest about the looks), and of course the utility.

I need a DD, and the truck versatility is perfect.

I'm coming from a '01 Disco that I sadly had to get rid of last year, so I'm not unfamiliar with maintenance done by me. But if it's anything like that, I'll look elsewhere.

What are the perks and pitfalls? I'm not sure I need the 2500, but it might be nice. Planning on some modding for trail use, but nothing insane. WAAAYYY Down the road I plan on doing a conversion to Duramax, but that's after the gasser essentially falls apart.

Any and all direction would be appreciated.

-T

Snafu

Adventurer
You'll probably hear a lot of complaints about tie rods breaking in a little bit!

They don't seem like bad vehicles but all the plastic in the bed has always made me want to stay away. Plus, I have a sunroof in my Dodge Ram and the seals will leak pretty easily so the "midgate" would make me a little worried.

Peterson's 4 Wheel Offroad built one for the Ultimate Adventure several years ago. Look here . It had a solid axle swap done and was pretty cool.

It seems like a lot of fun really. If you look around there are some guys who have modded late model Tahoe's so you could definitely get some ideas from them!

Good luck!

darien

Observer
I read recently where they're among the most reliable of all American automobiles. I don't know about their capabilities as they're not my cup of tea, but I don't doubt their underlying quality.

Balzer

Adventurer
I really like the concept of the avalanche trucks, However the real product hasnt really impressed me. However when I looked at them they was the early versions with plastic EVERYTHING and that was kind of a turn off for me. They was also pretty new and high priced. I have seen the newer versions with a lot less plastic and from the street they look a lot better but I havent actualy looked at them in person.
-
But they are on a platform I know pretty well. With that said I would say you would be better off with a 2500 even if you dont think you need the capasity. There is a bit more beef in the 2500, which will take more wear and tear. It is a fairly big and heavy truck, so using a 2500 in the same way you would use a 1500 should last you a lot longer. There is a huge difference in weight between a short bed regular cab 1500 and a avalanche 1500 but they both have the same running gear so in theory the 1500 avalanche is going to wear out/break sooner that the ligher smaller pickup.
-
As with pretty much any vehicle from any manufacturer, all you really need to do is research and find the areas that need fixed most often. Then if at all possible upgrade those areas to stronger parts. GM steering has been a little sketchy since they first introduced IFS in 1988, but there are lots of upgrades to address those problems. MOOG has an entire line of parts to improve GM steering called "problem solver" And for the most part these MOOG parts fix the issues, but if you need even more beef, BDS has aftermarket versions that are even better.

*was I trying to make a post witht he most "but"s and "however"s?* LOL

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I like the look of a truck with a seperate bed, the Avalanche seems to me a middle ground truck Not a pick up not a suburban.
The newer versions with less plastic look better to me. I worry that the mid gate and all the seals will wear out at sometime and become a problem sealing rattling and water entry. I have a friend with one who is still finding pieces of mulch from the load last year.

They share the same underpinnings as the GM trucks, I would look for a 2500 with the heavier parts.
I am very happy with my 2500HD sierra crew cab.

Attachments

• avalanche%20hxv%20epcot%2006-02-2005%20(1)%20(Medium).jpg
    avalanche%20hxv%20epcot%2006-02-2005%20(1)%20(Medium).jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 129_0601_05z+2003_Chevrolet_Avalanche+Front_Passenger_Side_View.jpg
    129_0601_05z+2003_Chevrolet_Avalanche+Front_Passenger_Side_View.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 11
  • image_large.jpg
    image_large.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 13
  • imagesCAO23LA3.jpg
    imagesCAO23LA3.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 356

oldestof11

Observer
I have a really good friend with one. 2002. The only year (according to him) that came with leather outer/fabric inner seats with the chevy logo.

I prefer the plastic as it will withstand more abuse than the sheetmetal. This guy is a electrician by trade and goes off-road quite often to get to job sites.

AFAIK, the mid seal doesn't leak and neither does his sunroof.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Im not a huge fan of the avalanche just because i dont really see the point. If i wanted a truck id get a silverado, if want a suv i get a suburban or tahoe. Both are cheaper than the avalanche and have a much bigger aftermarket market. If you just think its cool then go for it the platform is still great i love the full size chevy truck platform. I Think the plastic sides on the cab to bed thing kind of put me off also. Id recommend the 2500 though especially for an expo rig where your going to be adding weight in different places.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
What's with all the suv talk? They are a crew cab short box, or a crew cab short box with a hole in the back. I personally don't get the point. If you like them, buy one, mod one, enjoy!

78Bronco

Explorer
If you are real serious about the diesel conversion down the road go with the 2500.The beefier parts will handle the diesel power and weight much easier then the 1500.

The plastic not being color keyed is what makes these things ugly but no doubt they are a truck. I am fine with the plastic but it looks Pontiac Aztec gawdy with dull grey and interupted body lines, if only they painted the plastic.

My major complaint with the bow ties are the tiny wheel wells that in order to fit a larger tire requires stupid amounts of lift. Also the door hinges always seem to suck. They seem cheaply made.

Calplaya

Adventurer
I almost bought a Z71 not that long ago, kinda wish I had now that I think about it. At first I wasnt so sure because of their "lack" of practicality, and then it dawned on me, they dont have any such lack haha. As youve seen in pictures above there is a camper available as well as a camper top. I like those ideas. But you can also put a roof top tent on the top of it without those and store a whole lot of gear underneath the built in toneu cover, and wont have to worry about theft or about a branch breaking a fabric toneu cover or something and breaking a bunch of your gear. Actually the more i think about an Avalanche the more i like them, especially with the plastic body molding, thats one of the best features about it in my opinion. I mean, it will take a lot more abuse then regular sheetmetal and still look halfway decent afterwards. And the fact that the Avalanche is built on the Suburban platform means it will be dang near bulletproof almost everywhere. Heck my dad has an 01 Tahoe (pretty much the same thing) and the 5.3L in there has 230k miles and runs as well if not better then the day he bought it new. only regular maintaince has been done, fuel filter, tires, one ball bearing, oil changes, never been aligned and also put in a fuel pump, but thats really about it. pretty trouble free to say the least. Bottom line, great versatility and a great buy (their getting cheaper). Id go for it.

Calplaya

Adventurer
oh, and for the sake of this is awesome...here you go!

131_1005_04+ultimate_adventure_project_trucks+then_chevy_avalanche.jpg

Balzer

Adventurer
Not to start a pissing match but why do you guys think plastic is more durable than sheetmetal?
Sure it will bounce back from a dent better but it gouges easier and scratches easier.
From what I have seen in 2 older grand cherokees that friends of mine owned. They was built simular but one was a plane model with none of the plastic moldongs on the bottom and the other was a full dresser with the plastic. We all 3 wheeled in the same areas and mostly together so both rigs seen the same abuse but it didnt take long for the plastic rockers of the one jeep to look really hamburgered. Even tree branches gouged them. The other one never really got bad looking and even when it did MOST of the scratches buffed out of the painted sheet metal.
-
And as far as the bed floor Im sure things sliding around would do the same and would chew up paint pretty good too. But a scratche dup sheetmetal floor would be easy to rattle can to make look good again whereas the plastic wouldnt take paint very well....
-
I dunno theres always 2 sides of a coin.

Calplaya

Adventurer
Not to start a pissing match but why do you guys think plastic is more durable than sheetmetal?
Sure it will bounce back from a dent better but it gouges easier and scratches easier.
From what I have seen in 2 older grand cherokees that friends of mine owned. They was built simular but one was a plane model with none of the plastic moldongs on the bottom and the other was a full dresser with the plastic. We all 3 wheeled in the same areas and mostly together so both rigs seen the same abuse but it didnt take long for the plastic rockers of the one jeep to look really hamburgered. Even tree branches gouged them. The other one never really got bad looking and even when it did MOST of the scratches buffed out of the painted sheet metal.
-
And as far as the bed floor Im sure things sliding around would do the same and would chew up paint pretty good too. But a scratche dup sheetmetal floor would be easy to rattle can to make look good again whereas the plastic wouldnt take paint very well....
-
I dunno theres always 2 sides of a coin.

Id rather gouge plastic over paint and sheetmetal any day, its a lot easier to repair and replace a couple of plastic pieces then it is metal.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
There is a member on this forum called Henry that has an awesome avalanche:Wow1:with a whole wack of high grade mods. Thats hope he chimes in here soon.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz