JK Hardtop rear quarter window storage

Jimhatt

You have an awesome idea there!...I was playing around with something similar to serve my purpose, to add storage
in that dead space as well as support my rooftop tent and rack...on my 4door I didnt feel comfortable with relocating
the seatbelt reel and bracket so I made 2 boxes (driver & passenger sides)...still have to weld on the support brackets
for roof rack, make hinged doors and paint.
box2.jpg
box1.jpg

Popular idea in other brands, we've had something similar on the back burner for some time, we were all set to do it when they went and changed the hardtop in 11 which would have then required a new set of molds to do it right.

dh

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Very cool idea.

I would probably add a removable panel to the inside to allow you to get at stuff if you can't open the door. It would totally be a bummer if your recovery gear was in that location and you got stuck with a tree or rock up against that door. Something like that would happen to me.....

You could mold the insert so that it just slipped right over the factory roll bar. This would create an upper and lower storage compartment without the need for a shelf.

expeditionerd

Observer
Nice! I'm sure more than one on this thread would love to see their ideas!

Depending on how interested they are ( maybe they are interested in doing a one off, or maybe they rather bring this to market at a larger scale ) they may want to consider doing a pitch on http://www.kickstarter.com/

I'm sure in a space like that they'd be able to get a ton of traction not only from people here, but from forums all around the internets.

Here's a good project that got a ton of funding from all over the web.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ight-sensing-electric-skateboard?ref=category

Jorsn

Adventurer
Nice! I'm sure more than one on this thread would love to see their ideas!

Depending on how interested they are ( maybe they are interested in doing a one off, or maybe they rather bring this to market at a larger scale ) they may want to consider doing a pitch on http://www.kickstarter.com/

I'm sure in a space like that they'd be able to get a ton of traction not only from people here, but from forums all around the internets.

Here's a good project that got a ton of funding from all over the web.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ight-sensing-electric-skateboard?ref=category

I'll pass it along.

The company I talked to is Road Race Motorsports. They are experienced in working with composites. All we need now is to get some more interest.

jdzl

How many people do you need? If its 10 it would be a slam dunk - if it's a 100 or more it gets a bit harder... I'm interested.

Jorsn

Adventurer
How many people do you need? If its 10 it would be a slam dunk - if it's a 100 or more it gets a bit harder... I'm interested.

10 I would think is not enough. The cost would be pretty high. Now 20 or 25, I think they could justify producing something.

expeditionerd

Observer
Just a thought, but rather than trying to find momentum in this thread in a far corner of the Internet, if they were to do a pitch on Kickstarter.com providing details and pricing of what they want to make, they could reach hundreds of pre-orders. This would help them justify their costs and provide us with a lower price. I can imagine a big number of JK owners that would definitively be interested. Most don't necessarily participate in this forum.

.m

jeepnyak

Is there any chance that you will be selling just the window replacement panels for the hardtop?

I pencilled something similar but to me it seems the table on a fold-down win-door may be too high to be comfortable. Countertops are at 36", so on a stock Jeep like in your model that's about the top of the fender flare. On any sort of lifted JK, that's about even with the top of the tire tread. I'm going toward a swing up design as a result - John

Jorsn

Adventurer
Man, I wish someone would make this!!

I want to make something like this, Then add a hinged door over the rear window that holds 2 three gallon gasoline rotopax. Just open it to get to the rear quarter window storage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94