The Mongrel: FJ62 body + FZJ80 chassis + turbo diesel + ???

zimm

Expedition Leader
harbor freight used to sell a movable hoist for 600 that i thought would do good double duty as a rotisserie. do the project, then you have a hoist when youre done with the body.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
i thought your goal was a 60 body on coils and portals. wouldnt you need to chop an 80 frame to fit a 60 body? i dont recall my 60 having an optimum breakerover to rear angle ratio, so i think the frame would need a tad bit of rigging. its been years, so i dont reacll if 303 axles have high and low speed varients, or if that just mogs.

dont take it all so personal. its an unusual build, and im asking questions.

fair enough, apologies.

:REOutCampFire03:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
harbor freight used to sell a movable hoist for 600 that i thought would do good double duty as a rotisserie. do the project, then you have a hoist when youre done with the body.

I got a nice engine hoist. It simply needs the hydraulic pistons rebuilt, which is happening soon as I have four motors to move around & swap! The rotisserie is going to be super simply and ghetto, don't think I will even use the engine stands. Bunch of scrap steel, will have to buy some new steel though and some castor wheels and done deal. I got a guy down the street with two big forklifts so shouldn't be a problem to pull the body off the FJ62.

cheers

zimm

Expedition Leader
this is what i was talking about.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...nes/1-ton-telescoping-gantry-crane-41188.html

im on expensive real estate in the city and a building addition means.... inspectors... and i may have build out office space without a permit, and they are currently on a property tax reassessment push... so. i thought something like this could do double duty in our garage space. remove the beam and hoist and weld some pivots on for the rotisserie. put the hoist back on and use it to finish a car without having to push project from bay to bay.

maybe not as good of an idea as i thought a few month ago when thinking about it.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Oh it would work and very nice to have to pull motors, move heavy stuff around and so forth.

However, I got a way to pull motors with my hoist, which also doubles as a tranny puller, ie lower tranny down through the floor. I am doing this on the cheap though and am pretty sure I can build the rotisserie for $300 or so. All I really need is some big castor wheel to work in a gravel driveway and a bunch of scrap steel.

cheers

Revco

Adventurer
Cool build, can't wait to see it start coming together.

As for the rotisserie...I've built several for myself, shops I've worked, and friends. One of mine is based on the traditional "engine stand" design, but I built mine from scratch out of 1/4" wall square tubing. The key here is balancing the tip-over weight so that one side isn't heavier than the other. This way it can be rotated by one person. I also built an Octogonal Rotisserie for a unibody car. This is the simplest and cheapest way to go, but it requires more room to tumble the vehicle and rotisserie over together, plus it takes a little more grunt to get it to tip over to the next flat spot. Think of it has an octogon shaped exo-cage. A friend and I built his set up like a rolling ring...basically just a large steel ring that mounts to the body. The ring sits on rollers and can be spun with one hand, super easy. The hardest part is rolling two big rings.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Cool build, can't wait to see it start coming together.

As for the rotisserie...I've built several for myself, shops I've worked, and friends. One of mine is based on the traditional "engine stand" design, but I built mine from scratch out of 1/4" wall square tubing. The key here is balancing the tip-over weight so that one side isn't heavier than the other. This way it can be rotated by one person. I also built an Octogonal Rotisserie for a unibody car. This is the simplest and cheapest way to go, but it requires more room to tumble the vehicle and rotisserie over together, plus it takes a little more grunt to get it to tip over to the next flat spot. Think of it has an octogon shaped exo-cage. A friend and I built his set up like a rolling ring...basically just a large steel ring that mounts to the body. The ring sits on rollers and can be spun with one hand, super easy. The hardest part is rolling two big rings.

I saw a build on Mud of one that is the whole cage around the rig and you tumble it. Cool and all but won't work for me. Regardless of if I get the weight thing right I am planning on a place to mount a big long rod. Leverage is my fiend and with the right leverage I can move thousands of pounds by myself without to much trouble. Thank you to ancient civilizations for providing me with this knowledge! ;)

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Got my used coil springs today, slapped them under the chassis. Stoked, it now looks like a real rolling chassis! The chassis is almost perfectly level now all around. Which is what I wanted to work with for the chop. Although I think I will hold off on the chop for just a little while longer.

Probably going to start on pulling the portals tomorrow from under the Patrol. That or I still have to pull the motor from the 62 and the auto gear box plus the t-case. Also got the fuel tank to drop, some more wiring to deal with removing and un-bolt all the body mounts. Steering box off the FJ62 also needs to be yanked. After this I am ready to pull the FJ62 body off the frame. So I need to get back into stripping the FJ62 down.

I have done all the other things I wanted to do this last 10 days. So I am pretty ready to get the portal axles out from under the Patrol and or getting the FJ62 torn down the rest of the way.

I was reading some threads on Mud where guys got the frame stood up on end and beat them along the frame rails with a hammer. I think the 80-series frame I have is pretty clean but may do this just for poo and giggles. That and wash it again once up on end. For nothing else besides piece of mind that I have it very clean inside before I go putting expensive Rust Bullet inside the frame rails.

cheers

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Just a bump for any updates and to say thanks for sharing all this.
Really enjoying watching the construction of your "Metisse" ;)

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Just a bump for any updates and to say thanks for sharing all this.
Really enjoying watching the construction of your "Metisse" ;)

Hey thanks and my pleasure to share!

No real updates. Got a sand blaster, it is pretty nice for a smaller sized pressurized blaster.

My fabrication buddy is coming over this weekend to help me make final decisions on suspension, wheelbase and so forth. I am itching to buy some brackets and steel and start cutting and welding.

However, I need to build a shelter, build a rotisserie, fix my engine hoist and buy a fresh air system before I get to far into this build. These things really do take priority over buying anything for the Mongrel. Once I am ready I will start blasting, cutting and welding.

In the meantime I still need to pull the portal axles from under my Patrol. I need to get my cheapo 37s mounted up to my rims. I also need to tear the 62 down the rest of the way and get it ready to pull the body off the frame. So plenty to do!

I start work on Monday though for my 2012 season. So that means less time for this project but it also means more money! ;)

zimm

Expedition Leader
soon to heard in RMP&o's garage....

"i dont understand... i cut it twice, and its still too short... "

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
<snip>
I start work on Monday though for my 2012 season. So that means less time for this project but it also means more money! ;)

Good update, thanks ! Sounds like lots of prep work, but that's also very important.

Good luck with the new work season. Hope it all goes well and more can be set aside for the Metisse ! :sombrero:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I think I just sold my 84 FJ60 this morning. I am 99% sure it is sold.

What this means for the Mongrel is....

I am shipping my new motor on over from Australia first thing. Beyond that I am buying a fresh air system and building the shelter plus rotisserie plus rebuilding my engine hoist. If I got any cash left over after that I will buy some steel and brackets and get the axles under the truck!

STOKED! :D

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Decisions made.....

I am going tri-4 link in the rear. Keeping the coil spring configuration but changing the links. Ditching the rear panhard bar. Will likely mount shocks behind the rear axle.

Front is going 3-link with a panhard. Will use 12" coilovers, Fox or King. Changing the links in the front too. Reconfiguring the panhard.

Stock sway bars are being ditched, will be using Currie or similar.

I am going to use the Johnny Joints I have and using as much of the links as I can. I have not only the links I posted a picture of earlier in the thread but I also have all the 2" 7075 links from my Patrol. So all in all I have 14 links to play with.

Steering is going to be standard cross over. I will be using a Saginaw box though and not using the FJ62 steering box. Going to have to get at least one new high steer arm on the axle made.

For e-brake I am going to use the cutting brakes calipers on my rear axle. Just use a single handle CNC with a lock out. Lock out will not be line lock though, rather mechanical.

It looks like it is going to work out pretty damn good with the portals, not to tall, ect ect. The 80-series frame has enough arch where the axles are located to make this work and not be monster tall.

I need to order...

7 2 5/8" link brackets
A 12" shock tower from RuffStuff
Pandhard mount for front axle, both the axle side and the frame side. Probably go to a 2" JJ.
Sway bars
Saginaw steering box
12" Fox or King coilovers, going 2.5" with 7/8 shaft, remote reservoir not piggy back
2 5 1/2" coil buckets for the rear axle.

That is about all I need to order for now, there will be some other stuff when I am far into it such as rear shocks and mounts.

I got a ton of stuff to cut off the 80-series chassis, much less to cut off the portal axles. So I have lot's of time to spend cutting and grinding.

That is it, I am not only using the portals I am mounting them without the stock 80-series suspension stuff, besides the rear coil springs that is. Not much going to happen with buying stuff though until I get the other stuff I need going on that I mentioned a bunch. In the meantime I am going to start cutting and grinding!

cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles