The Mongrel: FJ62 body + FZJ80 chassis + turbo diesel + ???

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Well, this project is no more. Apologies to all who have followed it and expressed interest. I have been thinking long and hard on this for over a month. Made up my mind this last weekend. What really has doe it for me is my 80. In the last year I have done much work to the truck and it has really grown on me. it is really coming around and I like it a lot. The final straw was when I installed a Procar seat. Well, that and the trip to the dunes last weekend. The truck is just super sweet now, just about everything I have been after for many years. However, I am going to put the diesel, NV4500 and some other gear into my 80. Leave the portal axles under my 83 Patrol and put the vortec from my 80 into my Patrol.

I sold the 62 body and frame today to a buddy. So it is a done deal.

Cheers

skibum315

Explorer
Big moves ... thanks for the updates; though I have to confess that I was expecting (hoping? ... maybe just a touch) one of the motors to have found its way into the Ute build.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Around and around I go! Hahaha. Seriously though, it lives again! I thought about making a new thread but why? I will see if a mod will let me change the name of this one.

So since my last post......

I did sell the FJ62 to a buddy but he slacked and let it sit in my yard for months on end. I rolled my v8 FJ80 almost exactly one year ago. Mechanically the 80 was solid but the body was wasted. I cut it up and tossed it and saved the rolling chassis. I took the v8 in it and put it in a 94 work truck that had a motor knock. I put a NV4500 behind the v8, the 5.7L vortec is very fun to drive with the NV4500, we call the truck now, "**************' crummy" because, well it is! I sold the 4L60e, adapter and t-case last April. So all that is left from the 80 is a rolling chassis and a few bits I saved here and there for this project. I bought the FJ62 back from my buddy after I rolled my 80, knowing right away the route I needed to go. And that is.....

1988 FJ62 the truck is friggin' mint!
FZJ80 rolling chassis, locked, lifted and built up
GM 6L vortec, older LQ4 but it is brand new, purchase is pending internal inspection.
GM 4L80e auto, I may go 6L80e, unsure but probably not, oh ya the 4L80e is also brand new
HF2A t-case, at the least rebuild it and may toss in part time kit and crawler gears. Marks adapter.
RuffStuff front housing, got a spare 80 housing to cut the knuckles off of and weld onto the RS housing.
King coil overs in front, retaining the radius arms. RuffStuff shock towers.
King remote resi rear shocks, big and beefy. I am already rolling Slee HDP rear coils.
Both panhards already have Slee adjusters welded in.
Steering has already been converted to GM Y-link, King damper already in place. All 1-tonn GM tre's.
Slee Short Bus front bumper with Warn 9k winch, synthetic line, Factor55 link and Ridged Industries LED bar. Already got it all. By initial measurements I may need to modify the "wings" on the outside of the bumper to suit the narrower 60-series body.
About $5k in NOS/OEM parts for the body and interior on the truck, many parts NLA or very expensive ones.
ProCar Elite Lumbar seats, truck is going to be a two-seater (more than likely or a 3-seater) with storage-sleeping platform and so forth inside.
Engel fridge, LED interior-camp lighting, awning, ect ect ect.

This is a full on adventure truck build, drive it to S. America (I probably will) and live out of it for months at a time surfing, exploring and enjoying la buena vida. It may eventually become part of a business I have planned. I just sold a fairly big item so that plus some left overs from an insurance claim is funding what I don't have for the truck right now. That is the powertrain, I have a zero mile 6L vortec and 4L80e located in SLC, it also has the Marks adapter and HF2A ready to go. It is a pretty good deal but has been sitting since the early 2000's so I am waiting on it to get scoped, if all is good I am buying it. I will also buy the King's, RuffStuff front housing and maybe a few other things like get the 80-series steering box rebuilt with a 105 shaft. Otherwise I am ready to go, I expect to purchase my power train and other items mid-late July. August will be all about building it. Although I have already started.

I have a FZJ80 frame that I had already prepp'ed for The Mongrel build. It had some clean up left and cutting off the RLCA mounts. I have done that and plotted where and how I am cutting 5" out of the frame. I will be cutting it and welding it up fairly soon. After this extend the rear frame rails in the back and make my body mounts.

Cheers

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Sounds like quite the formula, I'll be following.

It has been done before, few small things here and there will make this different but I am hardly the first 60 on an 80 with a v8. The coilovers and new front housing will make the front end fast and a lot of fun to build, also I don't think there is another one out there on c/o's with a custom front housing. I am retaining the radius arms and stock panhard so locating the axle is already done for me.

After having a lot of different trucks this is the dream build for me. Only thing I can think of that might be a bit better for my overland uses wold be a Troopy body in place of the 60-series body, not even sure if that is doable though. The only thing the 60 doesn't have that I will miss from other trucks is a sunroof. Otherwise I am way into the 60 body and man I got some really nice parts to fix up the interior which is important to me.

Cheers

shmabs

Explorer
There is truly something to be said about being able to combine a body, chassis and drivetrain you love all into one unique vehicle. I've followed some other things you have built (or are building) and I'm sure this one will follow suit.

I'm quite smitten with my new to me 80 series, well most everything other than the engine and trans.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
chassis15.jpg
chassis14.jpg
chassis13.jpg
chassis10.jpg

Very happy with how easy and quickly it came together. Not the best surface (gravel) or set up but I made it work, no room in the shop right now. It is within .1* and under a 1/16" from being perfect, square ect ect. I can live with that, tomorrow start making frame plates.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Looks great! What weld through primer are you using?

chassis26.JPG

Good and square

chassis27.jpg
chassis28.jpg
chassis39.JPG
chassis41.jpg

This evenings welding session = splice and plating done. Although I do need to flip the frame over and do my top seam.

chassis29.jpg
chassis30.jpg

So moving on to putting the RLCA mounts back on

chassis36.JPG
chassis37.jpg
chassis38.jpg

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
2" 7075 solid aluminum link next to a stock rear lower control arm. The 7075 was a front from another project, haha 80-series sure do have short RLCAs. I am going to have the 7075 shortened and tapped to suit 80-series length. I have the tap already, these links are just sitting here so why not!? The Johnny Joints in the 7075 links are a touch to wide but that is no biggie to replace them. Results will be super duper strong RLCAs and adjustable to boot plus a more flexibale joint.

links.jpg

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Got the steel I needed to make body mounts. Above 2" links are being shortened this week to suit an 80.

:)

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Obviously by the pictures I had the frame upside down. I spent some time attempting to plot the RLCA mounts and get them back on the frame just right. Then it occurred to me, just put the rear axle under it, center it up and go for it. So that is what I did and it turned out to be very easy, well easy besides flipping the frame over by myself and moving the axle by myself.

chassis42.jpg
chassis44.jpg
chassis45.jpg

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94