Thread: Giant Mobile Battery

Default Giant Mobile Battery

Not sure how it relates to expeditioning but it is worth considering, if it's compatible.

IMIEV Mobile Power Source

Now, I don't know how compatible it would be as I have no experience of hybrid vehicles and their systems. Considering it plugs into the charging outlet for the car I would assume that those points have a greater throughput of power.

I would also hope that those are not all-electric cars they are pulling the power from because if so someone seems to think that the electric cars generate their own power with a combustion engine... Nah, they wouldn't be that daft, right?

Thanks to Ernie on the MH list for that link

Yes, that is an all-electric car. I think they are seeing it as a temporary power source during power outages - sort of like what a UPS does for a computer. This would not work well for camping, but then an electric car would not work well for a camping trip anyway due to their limited range.

A scientist-engineer type that I have worked with a few times used a similar concept with a hybrid car. He hooked up a small inverter to the car's battery to power our test equipment. The car would auto-start the engine when the battery got low. It would be a very expensive generator if you bought it just for that, but very handy for our occasional use. I cold see using this setup for weekend camping. You would want to have a nearly-full gas tank when you set up camp of course.

My sister and her husband have one. Range is only 80 miles.

1996 Montero SR (3.5L v6, rear Locker), 35" mudders, 3.15:1 xcase crawler gears
    Build Thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...su-build-up...
    1989 SWB Montero RS (3.0L v6, rear LSD), 33" mudders (sold)
    1990 LWB Montero LS (3.0L v6, rear LSD), 33" mudders (gave to rxinhed)
    1990 LWB Montero LS (3.0L v6, rear LSD), 31" AT's (rolled 1st time I ever drove off road)

1800$ for 5-6hrs of use? I'm going to start selling diesel generators in Japan.