March Featured Builder: Black Sheep Bikes

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I don't how this idea came to me, but I thought it would be great to feature Black Sheep Bikes for this month. :sombrero: (Thanks, 24HOURSOFNEVADA)

Black Sheep is a one-off operation with no peer. Based in Fort Collins, Colorado there are no other builders doing what Black Sheep is doing, and doing daily. When you see a Black Sheep bike roll by, there's two things that set it apart. One, the group of admirers standing by pointing at it saying, "oooo...a Black Sheep." Two, the swoopy, wispy, flowing lines and titanium hues of the tubes really could only be a Black Sheep. They're unmistakeable for anything else. For one thing, their forks are hard to miss. They look like the lovechild of a 1950s Schwinn and a NASA project.

black2.jpg

black4.jpg
This is the new fat bike they featured at the recent NHABS show in California.

black3.jpg
This is the head badge on that fat bike. Ridiculous. That earns some serious style points.

Black1.jpg
29er wheels got ya down? Try bigger wheels, say 36" wheels.

Black Sheep is well known for thinking WAY outside the box. Aside from a really unique design perspective, their aesthetic is unique and they're by no means afraid to put huge amounts of time in the details many never thought to include in a bike in the first place. They're bold, that's for sure. Go to their site and look at the Longtail Ti bike. Why not build a $10,000 commuter bike?

It's some crazy cool stuff. What I've found over the years is not everyone loves the look of a Black Sheep. I find them to be a little over the top for my tastes, and a bit over stylized, but I also think they're some of the most amazing bike creations ever to hit the trail. And that's an important thing to bring up. These bikes are not just eye candy. Find yourself a Black Sheep owner, and you'll find a rider who flogs their bike.

http://www.blacksheepbikes.com/

By the way...their website is a train wreck, but it's worth a look. Ever find yourself with an extra $4000 for a frame? Keep that site bookmarked in case you do.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
You rock, thanks a lot for looking into this one. You've uncovered and posted more information than I have been able to find so far and that was my intent and hopes for making them a featured builder. I gave up on their website (I've only tried to access it on on Mac, iPad and never made it past the place holder) and other than the random image online, it's pretty hard to find out information.

I've never seen the head badge in full view, only a side glimpse. I have to say the full frontal shot is as nice as I had imagined. I dig their trussed forks, frame design etc. I didn't know they started as high as they do, but I should have guessed.

I also heard a rumor that they are building the Ti frames for 9Zero7 bikes. According to my info, those are the last 9Zero7 frames to be built in the United States.

edit; I just tried your link on a p.c. amazing difference.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I can give a thumb's up for James' work. A few years ago the top tube/head tube junction on my Rhygin Juke SS (Metax tubeset) broke. It was due to a bad miter joint. James picked up and delivered my frame down here in Denver (he was doing side work at the time at another frame shop). The welds were beautiful, the work top notch. Held up twice as long as the original frame, a lot of it with a rigid fork.

tacollie

Glamper
I had a Blacksheep for 7 years. It was a crazy design with weird geometry. Aside from the fact it was done 6 months late and the drop outs were spaced wrong I really liked the bike. I will post up some pics if I can find any.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles