Black Rock Desert Soak

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I had been planning a Baja trip for months. The trip was going to be two weeks in duration with very minimal requirements; Start at a friends house in San Felipe and make it over to the Pacific to see some whales. The rest of the time would be spent exploring the peninsula. At the end of January, I injured my foot/ ankle and the plans were ruined. Two weeks ago, I found out that I would require surgery to repair the damage. With this being the last week before more down time, I thought it would be the perfect time to load up the FWC and head into the northern part of the Black Rock Desert.

We were supposed to get a winter storm and we did, 10" at lake level (Tahoe). I knew of a nice little "secret" natural hot springs that would be the perfect place to soak while enjoying the snow fall. We loaded up and left. We headed north into the cool town of Gerlach NV. Gerlach is known as the jumping off point for the Black Rock Desert.

IMG_4076.jpg

The hot springs we were headed to were north of Soldier Meadows Ranch. Soldier Meadows was originally known as Camp McGarry. A United States Calvary Outpost constructed in 1865, four years after Washoe County became a County.

Along the way, we stopped to see what had originally been described to me as a munitions depot for the Calvary.

IMG_4162.jpg

Normally, the fastest way to our destination is across the Black Rock Playa. This is the same Playa used for the popular counter culture event, Burning Man. I say normally it's the fastest because if it's wet, you can't drive on it. In fact, we had been flagged down by a young guy in front of the Empire store who was trying to get a ride back to Reno. He tried driving on the wet Playa and became stuck. He was offering $80.00 plus gas money for a ride to the airport. I don't know what his plan was for the rental car.

This is the 12 mile Playa entrance. There are three entrances on the west side; Three mile, Eight mile and 12 mile. I pulled in and after a quick survey decided to take the "High" road north. I think we left a trail of playa mud from the 12 mile entrance all the way to the High road turn off.

IMG_4080.jpg

This is the sign for the High road north. It's called the High road, because it's higher than the Playa and is usually passable year round.

IMG_4082.jpg

I'd love to show more pictures of the next 60-70 miles of dirt roads, but we were socked in with weather. Since I was driving from memory, I remembered that there was a dilapidated line shack near the turn off. It seems that the line shack has been restored and is now a first come, first served cabin open to the public. We noticed an American flag on a flag pole and a trailer parked next to the cabin. This was the first indicator that the "Secret Spot" may not have been a secret anymore.

This was taken the next day since the visibility had cleared. Out of respect for the guys staying there, we didn't go any closer.
IMG_4112-1.jpg

Once we got to the "Secret" springs, quite a bit had changed since my last visit 10-11 years ago. Last time I was there, I literally stumbled upon them. You could drive right up to the edge of the spring and there were no signs at all of any human activity. A lot has changed since then...

BLM has erected an outhouse, there are designated camping spots and interpretive signs with trails. So much for "Secret Spot." There was also a truck with three guys from CA. there. Super secret...

The reason for the trip. This portion is about three feet deep and it's in your best interest to bring a low slung chair to sit in while you soak. I brought one for the Mrs. because I know how she gets.

IMG_4106.jpg

IMG_4104.jpg

IMG_4107.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

IMG_4101.jpg

IMG_4103.jpg

Due to the storm blowing in, we decided to put our snow Peak BBQ inside the Partner stove for wind protection. It worked out well considering we grilled our dinner and didn't need a burner.

IMG_4091.jpg

Last edited:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
We enjoyed a nice soak in the rain followed by a nice dinner. It rained and the wind blew throughout the night. This was the first real wind I have experienced in the FWC. I was very impressed with the lack of wind noise and the canvas. However, the rain on top of the camper was a little loud for me. Nobody else seemed bothered by it.

IMG_4111.jpg

Forgive the white spot, it was rain. If the dog looks semi familiar, it's because it's from the same kennel as Brad's (Tuscon T4R), Roxy. Only Hugo (As in Hugo Stiglitz from Inglorious Basterds) still has his full winter coat.

IMG_4095.jpg

The next day we woke to clear skies and beautiful weather. We loaded up and went over to the more popular Double Hot Springs.

Double Hot is aptly named because it's double hot compared to the other springs in the area. Years back, there was a bad accident here. A dog jumped into the springs and started to be boiled alive. His owner, a young lady jumped in to save the dog and met the same fate. A male friend of her's jumped in to save her. The two remaining friends managed to get them out of the spring and loaded the girl up and took her to Gerlach. I was told in their panic, they left the male behind. I don't know if it's true or not, but I do know two people and a dog were severely burned with only one person surviving the incident.

In the wake of that incident there are signs along the I-80 corridor warning about hot springs along with the Double Hot spring having a full fence around it with numerous warning signs.

Double Hot
IMG_4134.jpg

IMG_4137.jpg

The hot tub at Double Hot. It's pretty far away from the actual source, giving the 180* water time to cool down a bit.

IMG_4142.jpg

The now famous outhouse that was recently featured in OverLand Journal. I'm studying up for the next big trip.
IMG_4138.jpg

Last edited:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Right around the corner from Double Hot is a crumbling Sheep herders wagon. We didn't go that route, so it'll give you something to look forward to discovering on your own.

You'll notice Black Rock Point through the cab of the old truck. This is why the region is named Black Rock.
IMG_4128.jpg

Anyone see a plate their missing?
IMG_4090.jpg

IMG_4084.jpg

IMG_4132.jpg

All told we drove 355 miles round trip with about 150 of it on dirt roads, off roads. The diesel, FWC combo did great and I made it home with a little less than 1/4 of a tank. For the record, the Princess misses the Kimberly Kamper compared to the FWC. Everything about it, the layout, the floor space, the options the ergonomics etc. Time will tell, but I'm pleased with the current set up.

Last edited:

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Cool. I have always wanted to visit that area. I also notice you are reading a new Milepost. Time for me to go get mine, really good reading/daydream material.:)

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Cool. I have always wanted to visit that area. I also notice you are reading a new Milepost. Time for me to go get mine, really good reading/daydream material.:)

Make sure you get one with the fold out map. my first one didn't have it. Of course, I didn't know it was missing until ddog45 sent me a picture of his route.

Anytime you want to bring down that international and go for a trip let me know.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Make sure you get one with the fold out map. my first one didn't have it. Of course, I didn't know it was missing until ddog45 sent me a picture of his route.

Anytime you want to bring down that international and go for a trip let me know.

Yeah I know about the map. Not the first time I have bought the Milepost.:smiley_drive: When I get my adventure machine up and running I will send you a pm about a trip to northern NV/southern OR.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Great trip report. Glad to see you are getting some use out of both the truck and camper.

Glad to hear the truck and camper is working out for you, hopefully the boss will grow to like it more.

Jack

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...For the record, the Princess misses the Kimberly Kamper compared to the FWC. Everything about it, the layout, the floor space, the options the ergonomics etc. Time will tell, but I'm pleased with the current set up.

Maybe tell her how much extra room you have in the FWC shell vs. the built-out versions ;)

There is lots to be said about the huge amount of space inside a Kimberley Kamper, I'm pretty sure my FWC is a 1–2 person maximum occupancy hut. I bet you don't miss the tent flapping in the wind.

Thanks for sharing.

MrsRedline

This particular "princess" ;) hasn't been out in the 4WD camper yet, but I can see how I might miss the space in the Kimberly, however an inside kitchen is a pretty good trade! My favorite is still the RTT- I really like my "treehouse". I'd really like one of those Snow Peak grills... Redline, are you listening? :)

I hope your foot is healing well!

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
MrsRedline,

Thank you for the well wishes and I might add what a treat to see you post. I probably worded it strongly. She'd pick the KK over the FWC for camping, but she doesn't dislike the FWC. The Partner stove should look familar, its the three burner that I bought from you guys.

We need to get a trip together with the usual suspects...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
That first one you went to was Soldier Meadows Hot Spring, I take it? We passed through there in May of 2009 (with a couple of other ExPo folks.) I noticed then that it was quite built up, almost like a commercial campsite. We also overnighted at Double Hot Springs.

The best thing about camping at a hot springs is being able to start your day with a hot bath and clean clothes! I have a canvas bucket I take everywhere and so on our hot springs trip I used it for my "showers" - just stood on it next to (and downhill) from the hot springs, dumped a bucket of hot water over my head, soaped up, then dumped a couple of buckets over me to rinse. Felt great!

If you want a hot spring big enough to swim in, there's also Bog Hot Spring (or Bog Warm Spring) which is North of the BRD and close to Denio.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Forgive the white spot, it was rain. If the dog looks semi familiar, it's because it's from the same kennel as Brad's (Tuscon T4R), Roxy. Only Hugo (As in Hugo Stiglitz from Inglorious Basterds) still has his full winter coat.

IMG_4095.jpg

Nice trip report. Looks like a fun area to play in.

Looks like Hugo is almost all "growed up" now. Either he's a big guy or your wife is tiny. :) Gota love that big goofy Schnauzer face. :xxrotflma It's nice to see him out camping with your family. I hope he's not as afraid of the dark as our Roxy is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles