Series front grills, whats up?

shogun

Adventurer
I know nothing of the various model differences.

The trucks with the headlights in the radiator grill (series 1?) vs the headlights in the wings (series ll?). Now I see some that have both. Whats up with that? Is it a personal mod? Can you fit the radiator grill w/lights panel on the later style truck?

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Series I, II and early IIa had them in the radiator support. They were moved to the front of the fenders in 1969 becoming the late IIa and eventually the SIII. The truck you see with both sets are an owner modification. Both radiator supports and fenders are interchangeable on all Series II's through Series III's (except stage I's). Many parts are interchangeable through the different models which makes it nice on the one hand but you end up with a 1983 series III which is still an 1959 design. And the 1959 trucks are a short extension of the 1940's british vehicles that many of the parts were sourced from. Not many vehicles have been around and so unchanged for nearly 40 years.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
The VW Bug is the only other one that comes to mind (1938-2003), though I'm sure there are some others. But even the Bug, decade to decade, wasn't as interchangeable as Land Rovers

95RRC

Adventurer
LandCruiser, Mini's, Yugo to name a few others....but still not as interchangeable as ^^ says.

Here is a pic I found of one such ride...

Snagger

Explorer
The lights moved to the wings in 1968, I think, and was due to US legislation (US exports were still big enough then to warrant making the mod standard across the whole of production. It gives better lighting but many people prefer the original aesthetic and the grille location was better protected from impact damage.

The photo above shows an early II/IIA grille panel with lights and very slightly later IIA wings with "bug eye" lights, which were fitted to unmodified front panels. The panels were soon redesigned with a flat recess and reinforced mounting for less protrusive lighting, and the exact design for those IIA wing fronts is unchanged to the latest Defenders. The combination shown is, indeed, an owner-mod. I have seen it done much more smartly with the same grille and the later wings by a Californian lad on another forum (Greg, I think his name is).

There are a lot of interchangeable parts, but not much from a SI (1948-1958) looks similar or fits a SII or later vehicle. However, much from an early SII will fit a Defender and vice versa. Commonality between a SIII (1972-1984) and the Defender is even better - I have Defender doors, jerrycan lockers, bonnet, grille, windows and front wings on my SIII.

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
The VW Bug is the only other one that comes to mind (1938-2003), though I'm sure there are some others. But even the Bug, decade to decade, wasn't as interchangeable as Land Rovers

I understand why it would be overlooked in this neighborhood, but the Jeep (1941-present) has an astounding amount of interchangeabilty, especially from 1941-1995 which were all leaf spring suspension.

I'll go back under my rock now. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles