New guy here... Looking for some guidance

Marv800

Hey everyone!

Just kinda stumbled in here, while doing some research on a future rig.

I'm a power boating and travel enthusiast, and thought I might find a way to combine these two in one. I mainly boat in my region because my Tahoe is not nearly capable of towing a 10k pound boat around the country. A lot of power boaters seem to use F-350's and all the way up to coach-customized peterbilts, internationals and the like.

I find a lot of those rigs to be a bit tacky and am looking for something more "utilitarian", that melds with something I can really travel and even live in for short periods of time. I'd also like to use it by itself to do some more expedition type travel in.

Looks like an overland vehicle might just fit the bill, but the choices here are a bit overwhelming. Any pointers on how to start narrowing my choices?

Any feedback is welcome, and I'm looking forward to learning before I make a commitment.

trailsurfer

Explorer
Hey everyone!

Just kinda stumbled in here, while doing some research on a future rig.

I'm a power boating and travel enthusiast, and thought I might find a way to combine these two in one. I mainly boat in my region because my Tahoe is not nearly capable of towing a 10k pound boat around the country. A lot of power boaters seem to use F-350's and all the way up to coach-customized peterbilts, internationals and the like.

I find a lot of those rigs to be a bit tacky and am looking for something more "utilitarian", that melds with something I can really travel and even live in for short periods of time. I'd also like to use it by itself to do some more expedition type travel in.

Looks like an overland vehicle might just fit the bill, but the choices here are a bit overwhelming. Any pointers on how to start narrowing my choices?

Any feedback is welcome, and I'm looking forward to learning before I make a commitment.

You should try and go to the Overland Expo coming up in May. You will be able to see a good chunk of the manufactures of Overland Vehicles displaying there. But, more importantly you can meet the owners of every kind of vehicle imaginable. I spend most of my time wandering through the campsites visiting with owners of vehicles that range from motorcycles to Earthroamers/Unimogs. It is a great chance to see all of the different types of Overland vehicles and to get first hand knowledge of the pluses and minuses of each vehicle.

foxhunter

Adventurer
I would start by talking to the people at GXV and Earthroamer. I think that given the weight of the living area, in order to tow 10k you need to have a 5 class (ford f550) to a class 7( international 7500). I am looking at occasionally towing 10k and have GXV building my unit on a u500 unimog. But if you don't need the off road ability of a mog(plus all available mogs are 8-10 yr old in this country), then both these companies have plenty of options for you. A 1 ton truck with living quarters won't be enought to tow that much wt. The new Provan Siberian Tiger on a 450 chassis, might do it, but not sure.

Entropy

Observer
What's your budget and how important is overland capability? If you're mainly going to be using it to tow the boat around, you can get a "Super C" class RV for $100k or less used while an overland vehicle that can tow your boat will be a lot more.

Marv800

Im thanks for the responses! Ill definitely look into both the GXV and earth roamers amongst others. I'm really wanting something I can tow my boat to poker runs to in style as well as something i can call my "habitat" away from home. When I'm not en route to poker runs, I'm wanting to do some light off road exploring. I don't want to resign myself to a motor coach, and I also don't won't to be in an RV type vehicle. Style, aesthetics, and capability are things I all want. Am I asking too much?

ER 120

As an Earthroamer owner L can tell you Gordie you would not have a problem towing your boa. You will also not find a better built or equipped unit. Go to the Earthroamer Web site to check them out. There are also some units on consignment (including ours #78) that have been fully inspected and ready to pickup. The reason for selling ours as well as most of the other ones for sale is that we are upgrading to a new 2012 model. Let me know if you would like more info. Not only are they fantastic vehicles but there is a fantastic Earthroamer family and organization.
Keith
ER 120

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I also don't want to be in an RV type vehicle. Style, aesthetics, and capability are things I all want. Am I asking too much?

To quote Guns and Roses... "If you got the money honey we got your disease!"

Seriously, if you have the money you can make amazing things happen. If you do have some money but not tons, and you also have time, then you can still make amazing things happen by doing it yourself.

The Earthroamer (ER) trucks are really nice, I have been in a few and I like them a lot. Personally I feel they are a bit cramped, even for one person, but different strokes. The Global Expedition Vehicles (GXV) has a huge variety of trucks, they can build on just about anything. I suspect if you want to take in a Peterbuilt they could figure out a way to put their box on your truck. More importantly they have a few trucks that are actually smaller than the ER's, up to trucks that are every bit as large as you could want. They even have one that when you walk in you do not see any beds, you have to lift the roof and go upstairs to the two queen beds.

Now ER just announced a few months ago that they are going to begin building on the massive trucks as well, so watch for what they manage to do floor plan wise in those. They claim to be very customizable in this new style truck, which is unusual IMHO.

Lastly you can check out Unicat. A lot of people in Europe use the Unicats, but here in the USA they have not caught on yet. (not sure they will.) Unfortunately they do not build on as many truck platforms, and I find even in their really big trucks they have very limited space and comfort room. Amazing for such big trucks that they manage to make you feel you are in a slide in bed camper. (personal opinion) They are, if I am not much mistaken, also the oldest of the three companies. I know that they had their lift roof body out a long time before the GXV folks did. Again most of their really cool stuff in on their European web site, so check that out and then ask the Americas guys if they can do that why/why not etc...

All three of these companies can build to very exacting specifications, and with amazing quality and comfort.

One last thing. If you are willing to consider importing... There are many many companies in Europe that can do amazing things, I mean beyond your wildest dreams amazing. So you can always look at one of those companies, tell them you intend to put the box on XX truck and see if they can build it, and ship it to you, or if you can ship the truck to them, they install their body on it, and ship it home. Also there is a fellow on here who built his own custom one-off truck called the EcoRoamer which might be a consideration for you. You would buy the truck of your choice, but everything else about the EcoRoamer is open-source and he would be happy to tell you anything you wanted to know about how he built it and help you get started building your own.

Ok I lied, just one more thought... If you want to just go with the F550 of your choice, you can always put a topper on it, like a flipac that opens up into a tent on top. Much more like a tent style camping, much less glamping, but it would do the job well and be much lighter. Also a typical topper converted into a kitchen etc with a roof top tent might tickle your fancy.

Welcome, and good luck!

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
This is a great video shot by the owners of an ER, prior to their departure on a round the world trip. IT shows a lot about the ERs.

Marv800

Ford,

Thanks for the insight as my knowledge on these behemoths is lacking. I looked into some of the euro offerings, and while they seem quite capable, most of them are horrendous to look at IMO. Unimog and Unicat looks like Michael Bay movie reject. Not exactly the type of thing that looks svelte towing a 39' Cigarette.

I can't quite figure out what to make of the actionmobils either

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles