Water-safe air filter on Canter

Barrabindi

Observer
Hi, Ive been searching this forum for air filter ideas... can you help???

I have a 2003 4x4 crew cab Canter, used for work, bush trips and family camping. Planning Frazer Island trip this year.
Im interested in what measures canter owners have taken to keep water out of the air filter during water crossings?????
Relocating or modify filter housing??
After a water crossing (about 650mm) this week i found 20mm + water in pan under filter. Could it be just a case of replace the rubber seal of detachable pan and rubber flap/bung in bottom???
I do have to cross this waterway regularly in " wet season" to get to town/school/work.
I will have some extra clearance when 35" tyres are added with a mild spring upgrade over the next few months.

Thanks
Andrew

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Andrew
I have a 2003 4x4 crew cab Canter, used for work, bush trips and family camping. Planning Frazer Island trip this year.
Im interested in what measures canter owners have taken to keep water out of the air filter during water crossings?????

So just to confirm .... it is a Turbo 3.9litre FG 649, right?

Relocating or modify filter housing??

Mods on yours are like any turbo motor....a short and unrestricted path from the air inlet all the way to the end of the exhaust seems to work well. The trouble with a crewcab is that the air tract is really long and if you want to lift the aircleaner up higher just be sure not to make it any longer. If you can ram the air into the cleaner it's always good too. The factory water trap / snorkels do a good job of reducing noise so sometimes playing around with this can make things drum a little. Really if you want to lift it, then you will be increasing the length of the line from the aircleaner to the turbo....this is the one that needs to be free or the turbo has to suck too hard. Up to you if you wanted to go for a bigger Fleetguard or Donaldson or work with the OEM.....I will tell you where people stuff up though...putting a snorkel straight into the OEM Fuso aircleaner without any water trap ....have seen the result where water hits the paper element and rots away leaving a big hole and .....well you can guess what happened. Another warning...always use stainless steel and never mild steel for the pipe between aircleaner and turbo....a rust flake can completely destroy a turbo......... Have seen it happen more than once.

After a water crossing (about 650mm) this week i found 20mm + water in pan under filter. Could it be just a case of replace the rubber seal of detachable pan and rubber flap/bung in bottom???

The rubber flap would be the first thing I would check!!!! Otherwise a burp fitting from an AC drain also works well. They look like a short length of bicycle tube creased flat. I doubt the rubber seal of the pan would be the problem.

I do have to cross this waterway regularly in " wet season" to get to town/school/work.

Where is that?

Regards John.

Last edited:

1Engine

Observer
I am dealing with a NPS300 single cab, however I replaced the pipework with 100mm Stainless Exhaust pipe all the way to the engine, replaced the original air cleaner with a Donaldson & fitted an Air ram with water sep slots in it.
When I am approaching water of any depth, I remove the Donaldson dust exhaust valve & install a rubber cap with a hose clamp for the duration of the crossing.
I have been in water up to 1300mm a few times now without incident

Barrabindi

Observer
Hey Mark
Wet season river crossing near Innisfail. when river 700mm over bridge its flowing too fast for Canter, AND no indication if the bridge is still there :snorkel:
I spoke to you last year about Parabolics.
My truck is pretty standard.... and my "camper" is a swag and mozzie netSwag on Canter.jpg

Barrabindi

Observer
Custom intake.
Just looked at pics of PKDreamers Canter. Appears to have a straight thru system with filter on top??
Does anyone know details?? is there a water trap?? DIY or fabricated by ???
Thanks
Andrew

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles